Vbs2/ama2

IrishHussar

Hi All

firstly I would like to apologise for being absent on these forums for such a while. For the first time in quite a while I have been quite snowed under with other commitments, both at work and at home.

At work I have just been given a fully licensed copy of the VBS2 program with the unenvious task of self teaching everything there is to know about VBS2. My eventual task is to brief my superiors about its possible use at the various constructive sim sites.

The program VBS2 is a millitary grade version of AMA2 like SB Pro has the PE version.

My question to the forum is "Are their any AMA2 users that would be willing to spend a little time pointing me in the right direction?"

The VBS2 VTK version that I have even shipped with the LVC game so "wrapping steel beasts" has not yet been put off the menu.

I have also just ordered a copy of AMA2 in order that I may interact with the vast learning resources at the BIA forums.

Who knows it might lead us seeing Chally 2 in Steelbeast yet, although that might just be me dreaming LOL.

Any help in this would be appreciated

Irish

Edited by IrishHussar

IrishHussar, forgive my ignorance, but are you in the military?

VBS2 has a users only forum that you should seek access to.

there are separate sections for serious gamers and then the military users have their own section, which only they can use/view.

if you are a military user you would be able to discuss with and ask questions of other members of the military.

the VBS2 Support Resources page with contact info:http://virtualbattlespace.vbs2.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=77&Itemid=77

BIA offers VBS2 training courses: http://virtualbattlespace.vbs2.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=60

and they have simulation support teams: http://virtualbattlespace.vbs2.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=59&Itemid=61

p.s. VBS2 is currently using the ArmA game engine.

Thanks for the early response.

I am no longer in the millitary however I work at an organisation called the Command and Staff Trainer (CAST) where we help to train staff officers in planning and proceedures.

One of my problems with the issue of VBS2 is that it ships with very limited scenarios, only three training missions that I can see, therefore in order to train on it I need to get hold of some pre-made missions. I have also just ordered a copy of AMA2 which hopefully after playing online will help educate me in the right direction. VBS2 comes with a real time editor, quite a powerfull tool,and Im sure it will take quite a bit of experience before the full implications of its use can be realised.

Cheers so far

Irish

While I have it to mind

may I just state that I see neither VBS2 nor AMA2 as competion to SB. They are 2 very different tools for 2 very different jobs.

With the advent of "The Synthetic Wrap" and enabling programmes like the Caltrix LVC game they undoubtedly could help support each other.

The main reason I am posting on this forum is due to the quality of response one usually recieves.

Thanks again

Irish

you should email VBS2 support and tell them about your job and what you plan to use VBS2 for.

at the least you will want to register for and gain access to the serious gamers forum, or preferably the military/industry user's VBS2 forum.

there are some user made missions available on the serious gamers forum, but they might not be what you are looking for.

Kramer gave you all the info and connections you need... but depending on what KEY you actually have, their is about 8 new maps to download for VBS2, and I have a collection of about 50 plus missions, I can e-mail the missions to you (the map downloads are too big), if interested or further questions feel free to e-mail me at cankenbauer at comcast dot net.

http://www.simhq.com/_land3/land_125a.html

Interesting, VBS2 looks much more realistic and immersive than ArmA 2 is, although I guess it's hard to judge that just by the few pics and videos I've seen of the game. The review says it's not worth the price, which for $500 is very understandable no matter how good it may be. :eek2:

Hi Magnum

thanks very much to you, Gary Owen and Kramer for your info and the excellant links to some very good sources of info. To clarify where we in the UK are upto with VBS2, and this is only from my very limited sight on the big picture. It is being used for predeployment training in the form of "JCOVE" which is a convoys drill trainer also I've heard that it is being used to train procedural use in UAVs allthough I have no further info on that.

The graphics engine is going to be used on many other simulation tools from the large BG simulators right down to crew trainers, how far that implementation has been acheived? again Im not sure.

At the CAST sites it has been given to us to evaluate how it could used to enhance the customer experience, I dont think it is envisiaged that it will replace programmes like JCATS, ONESAF or indeed the programme I work with ABACUS. For your info Magnum we have a red dongle.

With VBS2 I suppose its a little like the chicken and egg story in that in order to train you need more than just the 3 training missions supplied however in order to produce the missions one first needs to tarin LOL.

I would be very gratefull if you could email any scenarios or further info.

I suppose I could've done all this by PMs however it might be of interest to others who could also add value.

Once again thanks

Irish

Just be advised... IMO (and only my opinion) ArmA2 is a lot better and more enjoyable then the current version of VBS2, the biggest weakness in VBS2 is it is the same stupid and super man AI as in ArmA1, ArmA2 improved greatly (but not perfect) on the AI.

And finding people to play VBS2 with is extremely hard, you'll be lucky to get 4 to 6 players... when most missions are made for 12 to 24.

Unless you have a DIEHARD reason to get VBS2, (it does has some great features and equipment), stick with ArmA2.

again IMO.

VBS2 is a dedicated simulation whereas Arma2 is aimed at the gaming market. Though they share the same origin, there are some significant differences. VBS2 for example offers a lot more scripting commands which allows a mission maker to more accurately manipulate AI behaviour. The AAR functionality of VBS2 offers a distinct advantage over the game version. It allows the instructor to illustrate what went right and wrong and gives students the opportunity to assess situations in hindsight with more complete situational awareness.

Conversion of Arma II missions for VBS2 will be hard, as some of the features of that game are not backwards compatible. VBS2 is more closely related to Armed Assault ("Arma I"). Armed Assault missions can generally be converted using a text editor to make a few changes in class names, but such missions will not take advantage of some of the additional functionality available in VBS2. One also has to take into account that a mission maker for a game will generally have different aims than a mission maker for a training tool: games are played for fun, to provide an enjoyable rather than an educational experience. Instruction in TTP will often require a rather different approach.

Despite the compatibility problems with VBS2, ordering Arma II should not be regarded as a waste. The gameplay changes make it a much more immersive and enjoyable game than its immediate predecessor.

Regards,

Sander