VASSAL/PanzerBlitz

GaryOwen

To clarify a bit more, you don't need a VOIP utility. You could play by e-mail. The engine is flexible enough that you could swap log files (which you can tell the game to create) between each other. Takes longer, but it's still a hoot.

By the by, Gary and I are meeting up tonight at 1800 PST for some 'live' PB. Interested parties may observe by synching with the game (provided you have VASSAL, and the PB/PL module). You'll know that it's okay to synch with the game as I'll have added 'Synch OK' to the room I create for the game. Feel free to synch with the game, even if you don't see 'Synch OK', as it just means that I forgot the addendum.

You'll get a roughly first-hand taste of how VASSAL handles a game.

I've done this for a couple of years now; I can tell you that a game played via VASSAL plays and feels just about the same as one played face-to-face.

Shot

Gary and I mixed it up again tonight. We finished off the first mission mostly by declaring it a draw, so that we could start another one.

We picked Situation 4, which for those of you playing at home is a delaying action mounted by a kampfgruppe of SPA, tanks, ATG, with some transport and infantry, totalling something like a pony battalion, against a Soviet mech infantry force with 1.3 regiments of tanks and assault guns supporting another 12 companies of infantry, plus an antitank battalion, and transport.

The mission for the Germans is to deny Board 3 to the Russians. The mission for the Russians is to whack as many Hitlerites as possible. GaryOwen chose the Russians and I commanded the Germans.

The first couple of turns we both spent getting ourselves into position. The layout of the mapboards affords the Germans a wonderful kill-sack which is bordered by two cities which are east-to-west with respect to each other, by a ridge to the south, and by some woods and a stream to the north.

The Germans have lots of long-range firepower, but can't cede too much ground to the Russians, who might find a wish to do no more than hide behind terrain and wait out the rest of the game. They won't win, but then neither will the Germans. The German player wanted to make it interesting, too.

The first two turns are burned watching both sides maneuver themselves into position. At the end of the 3rd turn, the Russians make their first stab at the German defenses.

Here's what it looks like at the end of Turn 3.

Shot

56e83c7f3c6c2_Sit4EOT4.jpg.04341dcb41577

56e83c7f3c6c2_Sit4EOT4.jpg.04341dcb41577

At the end of 3 you see a platoon of Panthers in the town, under them is a platoon of Jagdpanzer IVs with the Panther MA. They've flamed a company of Commies, and some troops. To the north, and west are a Nashorn battery and a PaK 40 battery. Flanking them to the southwest is a battery of Hummels. What you can't see is a battery of Pak 36s (88s) and a battery of Wespes.

These units are going to be the main effort, the tanks are going to hold for as long as they might, and they're going to do what they can against Soviet units who may seek to force themselves past the panzers in the east.

I think I've done about the best I can do at this point, it's now up to the dice.

Unfortunately...

Shot

I made a mistake, and Fate was not with me. I got some dispersals that should have been kills, and maybe didn't apportion my firepower with the necessary precision.

Gary stomped the guys in the trees to the north, who were forced to leave some targets be as a result of a rather poor showing by the guys in the town. The guys in the town for their part put the BASD on some of the Commies who stomped Festung Larch, but I could see the dirt clod dissolving in this rainstorm.

Gary pasted the Wespe battery, then kicked the 88s, and by the time it was all said and done I had nothing left but halftracks and infantry. The HT did some Overrunning, which scored me four Soviet units (some trucks and their passengers). Gary bashed them too, eventually.

I conceded, there was nothing left for me to fight back with. At the end of Turn 7 the battlefield is as the screenie shows it. Gary got a Tactical victory, and I didn't get so much as a Marginal.

Good fight, lots of fun. Mog sat in and watched me embarass myself. Anyone who has the VASSAL PB/PL module is invited to sit in and watch, so long as they are good netizens.

I'm also willing to play just about anyone who might like to dust off some old titles and bang the rust off some old skills. Mog, this means you.

In the meantime, Gary and I are going to meet up for another fight sometime this coming weekend. If you want to watch, download and install the VASSAL engine, then download and install the PB/PL module. Both are available at the VASSAL site. I think registration is required, though the registration costs nothing and doesn't (so far, anyway) appear to open one to any obvious vulnerabilities, sales pitches, etc.

See you then.

Shot

56e83c7f410e3_Sit4EOT7.jpg.f73d5d2288c49

56e83c7f410e3_Sit4EOT7.jpg.f73d5d2288c49