Great Moments in Steel Beasts

ShotMagnet

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
Map and I got lost, therefore. At one point we lost each other and I popped smoke so that he could find me. Rule #1 for being lost. Come to a stop, let the other guy find you, and making ridiculously obvious where you are. Map found me.

Now wait a minute... how does a guy with the name "Mapman" get lost? :biggrin:

This is one of my favorite moments. This was one of the first Long Night of Tanks, we decided to turn a coop into a head to red after we did a few other missions. It was one of those old SB1 missions which are oldies but goodies. So me and around 4 other guys were commanding a regiment or more (I had a battalion of tanks of it) and we had to attack a battalion or so sized force with around 2 dozen players commanding it. So I and Elf I think were in the north. I had my 3 companies attack (2 of T-72s and 1 of T-80s) and just punched a hole around 4k wide into their line. There was so much shock that was involved in this attack that the enemy drove their tanks deep into the woods to escape this spearhead. For the rest of the mission those survivors were trying to either attack me, or fall back to their own lines while I had the high ground in their rear.

Isn't that the guy you were telling me about, who got booted from his own VU?

Shot

Ghering had a long and storied history with SB. He COMMANDED the first real SB virtual unit. They had discipline and order. Everyone would stand to attention when the COMMANDER entered the chatroom @!

The ICP was a spontaneous community groundswell that erupted in response to him, and dishonorably used artillery to do him in.

Anything involving General Ghering. @!

roflmao.... i have one. is the "old" forum still up anywhere? link please and i'll find the thread. we got into it many times... well, one day i called him out and we played a HtH, mono et mono (SB1 days). it was on that old classic 6x6 km map we all played so, so much at one time. i took the leopards and BMPs. he took the M-1's and Brads. i lost one vehicle out of my company. he lost his entire company. i posted screen shots in the old forum showing the evolution of the battle from the map view. that shut him up.

a link to the old forum will get you the screen shots and trash-talking thread.

Edited by Hackworth

Ghering had a long and storied history with SB. He COMMANDED the first real SB virtual unit. They had discipline and order. Everyone would stand to attention when the COMMANDER entered the chatroom @!

The ICP was a spontaneous community groundswell that erupted in response to him, and dishonorably used artillery to do him in.

That's **** General **** Ghering, Gary -- four star type, i'm sure. hmmmm, come to think of it, i believe he was also our first General! LOL.

p.s. shotmag, i believe he went by M1A1Tanker in the old forum. i used to call him M1A1Tanker Dude, lol. he stepped on a rank, got hit by a tank and he aint no....wait. wrong line. he wrecked his tank as a driver (IRL). so, he ended up driving his 1st SGT. we used to really give him shit over that.

yes, i remember A! and now that you mention it I do remember him crying about artillery being used against him. He was indeed the first general.

Mog

yea, i think it all started when his team took up overwatch positions on this hill and Archangel made him pay for it -- big time. Arch just back up and started the ICM barrages...roflmao. Ghering just cried like a baby not only in chat, but in the forums over it. great times.

funny enough, when Billy showed up i thought it was Ghering in disguise coming back for more ARTY.

S!

(snickers)

Speaking of arty.

Hell_Hound decimated one of my companies during FG with a truly-cool combination of artillery. He dropped an HE attack on top of me, then timed an ICM attack for just behind me when my non-crewable dimbulbs backed away from the HE strike.

Embarrassed and impressed, at the same time. HH was the stuff, when it came to this game.

Shot

Counterstroke: One mission, both sides positioned their tanks along the edges of their deployment zones which were pretty much touching each other. As soon as the mission started, the most intense fire-fight I've ever seen and heard exploded through my speakers. Tank rounds going overhead, main gun fire, contact reports, tank loss reports all filled the air. Hilarious!

About 30 seconds later, it was all over. As I recall, for the rest of the mission, neither side had the strength to do much else. Talk about shell shocked. :shocked:

lol, sounds awesome Tac! reminds me of Close Combat III. i played through the campaign the other day in about 24 hrs (and won as the Germans). around 1944 that is about how i was handing the Russians their ass. i'd post up some 88's and Pak 40s along with Tigers on the high ground and wipe out the Ruskies' vehicles in about 1 minute. hillarious, but boring since every engagement became like that from there after. at least i built up a badass force by the end! ;)

okay, back to SB/PE... :biggrin:

...if I remember right, HH and Mapman were doing a Beavis and Butthead impression. Everytime a sabot hit you one of them would do the "boing" noise. While Rat and I laughed till I felt like I was gonna puke.
:)

I had no idea what any of you were saying. I was a pea in a very large whistle, and every few seconds some pi**ed-off giant with a mammoth hammer smacked my little metal world. I don't remember if I got a shot off, I do remember trying.

Counterstroke: One mission, both sides positioned their tanks along the edges of their deployment zones which were pretty much touching each other. As soon as the mission started, the most intense fire-fight I've ever seen and heard exploded through my speakers. Tank rounds going overhead, main gun fire, contact reports, tank loss reports all filled the air. Hilarious!

About 30 seconds later, it was all over. As I recall, for the rest of the mission, neither side had the strength to do much else. Talk about shell shocked.

If it's the mission I'm thinking of, NATO and WP almost-literally bumped into each other, where neither expected the other to be. I seem to recall that there were maybe forty wrecks in that one little spot on the map.

If it's the mission I'm thinking of, at about the end there was a nasty little furball for some bridges to the west. That too became a parking for 'gently used' tanks.

Shot

'Night of the Rubber Sabot', indeed.

What made me giggle most was how Map and I just sort of showed up out of nowhere, just as the enemy were parading past.

What was the crosstalk? The gist of it, anyway?

Shot

There isn't a whole lot, but I found some chatter about that fight here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=4631&page=2

I think I gave both sides gimpy ammo, to make the whole exercise more forgiving as we struggled to get into position. :)

"Everything in war is very simple. But in war, even the simplest thing is difficult."

Edited by Hell_Hound
Fixed a typo.

I remember long range kills from our SBG battles with 911.

But I wish I'd been there for the hilairious close range fights.

Oh there was this one time at band camp, where Daskal And Co were 'distracting' a couple of 911 platoons, by jumping about and yelling insults at our opponents when we (I think darklabour was my wing) sneaked round a wood and smacked a couple of sabots into 911's leos just under the turret ring, then buggered off sharpish for a well deserved beer.

Oh and that time our fearless leader made a 'noob' mistake worthy of CC himself.

Sending an entire company into contact over rolling hills without any overwatch whatsoever, 911 chewed us up and spat us out, then asked for seconds, all within 8 minutes.

Chance made a scenario called "General's Folly" which depicts this episode.

Play this and envisage Billy Screaming "CHARGE!!" and you'll see what I mean. Still makes me Giggle sometimes.

I remember long range kills from our SBG battles with 911.

But I wish I'd been there for the hilairious close range fights.

Oh there was this one time at band camp, where Daskal And Co were 'distracting' a couple of 911 platoons, by jumping about and yelling insults at our opponents when we (I think darklabour was my wing) sneaked round a wood and smacked a couple of sabots into 911's leos just under the turret ring, then buggered off sharpish for a well deserved beer.

Oh and that time our fearless leader made a 'noob' mistake worthy of CC himself.

Sending an entire company into contact over rolling hills without any overwatch whatsoever, 911 chewed us up and spat us out, then asked for seconds, all within 8 minutes.

Chance made a scenario called "General's Folly" which depicts this episode.

Play this and envisage Billy Screaming "CHARGE!!" and you'll see what I mean. Still makes me Giggle sometimes.

Actually the real "General's Folly - a ridge too far" was quite an experience - too bad it lasted only 8-10 minutes. It was the biggest gamble we ever took, could have worked - but we got massacred, it was our own Operation Zitadel and defeat at Kursk.

Short zipped the situation for those who don't know what we are talking about:

SB-G (Blue) was defending the Seaport on the East, PzB911 (Red) attacking from two directions SW, and NW - attacking forces were divided by the lake/sea you see in the middle. We had around 30 players participating in this one all together.

Untitled-1copy-2.jpg

Instead of a steady defence it was decided that we initiate a concentrated pre-emptive strike with all of our heavy armour and deal with "Army group South" right at the beginning. PCs and light armour was directed to guard 3 bridge-crossings on the NW side

I think the march on the southern side to intercept the enemy is one of my best moments in SB ever. There was a huge excitement in the air on our side, and I think most of us believed we could pull this through. You have to experience it to know what I'm talking about, but it really had an overwhelming feel to it.

What "hurts" me is that we could have prevailed in this one, but we were too cocky and jumped too soon on the enemy... When we have reached the last safe ridgeline in the south (we didn't had any contact down in the south at that time) we started receiving reports from our Light armour in the North that the enemy is already advancing towards their positions. Time was short, we needed to obliberate the Souther attackers as soon as possible, and rush up north to reinforce our defence.

As soon as we left the last safe BP in the south we were caught in the open...