good senarios for a beginer

silent-one

• Members

The ruling criterium after the tutorials should be which and how many units are under the player's control. Pick those first that have only a platoon or two, of vehicles with which you have familiarized yourself.

The Downloads section at SteelBeasts.com has scenarios categorized into "difficult" and "easy". I guess the easy ones are a good starting point.

Keep in mind that you may also want to check the difficulty settings in the Options menu. Hard difficulty makes things harder.

Finally, the mission editor is your friend. If you find a scenario too difficult to master, go to the editor and give the enemy less, or weaker ammunition.

...Finally, the mission editor is your friend. If you find a scenario too difficult to master, go to the editor and give the enemy less, or weaker ammunition.

also, the forum is also your friend :biggrin: some scenarios are locked with a password by the maker. you can PM him/her and normally recieve a positive response to a request for the password.

An excellent practice scenario is Tanks from the SB1 disc. Controlling a single tank and using the terrain are both things that this scenario is good for practicing. It's the one with a single M1 and 9 red tanks semi-randomly travelling around a small-medium sized map. Porting it to Pro PE is simple, because it doesn't have any ditches, buildings, or rivers. Changing the type of the player vehicle is as easy as one right click in the mission editor.

An excellent practice scenario is Tanks from the SB1 disc. ... Porting it to Pro PE is simple, ... Changing the type of the player vehicle is as easy as one right click in the mission editor.

It is already ported to Pro PE + reworked to allow the player to choose his starting vehicle:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/24/p13_fileid/1103

Rgds,

Koen

• Moderators

I think the biggest mistake some make is to concentrate exclusively on gunnery; IMO the tactics is "where its at". You can probably be more successful if you practice nothing but tactics and very little gunnery, rather than the other way around. You might be an extremely capable gunner, playing range scenarios all the time, but big whoop; gunnery skill means very little if you are constantly getting flanked, or are not flanking the enemy and are instead putting your fire on their fronts all the time.

All too often (in TGIF at least), many expect the CO to tell them what they should be doing tactically, which cannot (or should not) be the case all the time. The CO should provide broad instructions, guidance, and coordination of an overall plan, and of course corrections if a platoon leader "goes too far", rather than nano-management of tactics unless it is some dire emergency -- but not the norm. I guess what I am saying is, don't forget to play scenarios that concentrate on platoon tactics if a beginner wants to be successful. :)

• Members

I concur. Force yourself for a week or two to operate exclusively from the commander's place. Being the gunner takes away so much situational awareness that you may win a duel but usually lose the battle. The commander's mind must always be about the target after the current one, and which target should receive priority, and how can the other three tanks in your platoon help you, and how can your platoon help its neighbors.

It is already ported to Pro PE + reworked to allow the player to choose his starting vehicle:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/24/p13_fileid/1103

Rgds,

Koen

I tried this mission but I must be a real noob as I do not understand what to do next... every time I drive into a battleposition in the hummvee I take damage and am immobilised. The mission says I have selected the relevant tank but then nothing happens!!

Hi,

FWIW, I'd first go with "Tanks" to practice both tactics and gunnery (tactics takes precedence, as you start out outnumbered by nine to one). You have to whittle the opposition down one tank at a time, so you get really good practice in movement and use of ground.

The next one is "Advance in Radjic Country." It's pretty intimidating when you first see it, but it's really a collection of smaller scenarios grouped into a larger one. Once past the initial apparent complexity, you can do a fair amount of gunnery and movement practice.

From there it's just a case of try out the scenarios, see which ones you like, and keep trying them. Lots to learn the second and subsequent times around one of them. Good luck, and welcome back!

Tactics 101 were interesting vignettes, and have been ported into SB Pro (they were originally SB1 missions). There were a few problems with the "defense in depth" scenario, where the AI would get stuck on the bridges, and I need to revisit to check whether this has been improved by recent patches (last time I tried it was 2.370, and a lot has changed in movement possibilities between there and 2.48x)