Request for a British Army Mod

FletchRDG

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How would you get the accurate armor data? I would not be shocked if the Brits would protect that info like a Nun would protect her virginity.

Thats pretty much the attitude to the way its done:

Armed Guards in the tank parks :MP:

Securely locked Garages

CCTV

All hardcopies of classified info securely locked away in a vetted company manager's office, etc etc etc.

Your going to need some serious clearance just to read the relevent data.

And a scribble on the Official Secrets Act.

(and if one planned to nick any of this info, you'd be sent up for high treason, which still carries the death penalty, probably, they may have adjusted that, certainly a lengthy spell at Her Majesty's pleasure anyway)

Have I dashed everyones dreams? (as well as my own?) Feck...

Thats pretty much the attitude to the way its done:

Armed Guards in the tank parks :MP:

Securely locked Garages

CCTV

All hardcopies of classified info securely locked away in a vetted company manager's office, etc etc etc.

Your going to need some serious clearance just to read the relevent data.

And a scribble on the Official Secrets Act.

(and if one planned to nick any of this info, you'd be sent up for high treason, which still carries the death penalty, probably, they may have adjusted that, certainly a lengthy spell at Her Majesty's pleasure anyway)

Have I dashed everyones dreams? (as well as my own?) Feck...

No, I think you have just borne out what I said, that no matter how good a model Dejawolf comes up with of Challenger2, the chances are that its not going to be used. If you want a crewable British vehicle in this sim, the choices IMHO are Challenger1, Scimitar or even a Landrover WMIK. I cant see Challenger2 as remotely viable without substantial amounts of help from the British MOD. Without that all you will have is an AI vehicle which is going to be continually bumped to the bottom of the list. Ive been saying this for the past 5 years.

Still, why should I worry. Id settle for a Dejawolf Challenger2 Wallpaper, though doubtless he would want to see his work have rather more utility than prettying my desktop. :)

Well FV430 series isnt too bad. I did the precis for those. But again, its better suited as an AI vehicle. The M113 isnt the most exciting crewed vehicle is it? CVRT is doable, and considering there are so many in circulation with private owners (the Belgians sold most of theirs). The later versions operated by the British army do have some new mods to them Im not fully au fait with (dont these now have the spire sight?). But some idea of the openess the British army looks upon Scimitar, a recent television programme on the Household Cavalry showed the interior of the vehicle, and even the operation of the main sights. So its doable, and probably the easiest to do, whether they want to do it is an other matter. One problem I can see is that they dont have power traverse. manual traverse might be a problem to do for obvious reasons.

Ive actually got a warrior manual, and a 30mm gunnery manual. But documentation in that area is still sparse.

One problem I can see is that they dont have power traverse. manual traverse might be a problem to do for obvious reasons.

Ah are you sure. As a Scorpion turret commander (look to the left) which as you know is the same as the Scimitar does have power traverse for both the gnr and commander. its the elevation thats manual.

But yes we need them asap!!:biggrin:

Ah are you sure. As a Scorpion turret commander (look to the left) which as you know is the same as the Scimitar does have power traverse for both the gnr and commander. its the elevation thats manual.

But yes we need them asap!!:biggrin:

Its interesting you mention that, I discussed this with a Cougar commander on Tanknet, and its clear that the Scorpion turret fitted to Cougar had power traverse. But the British army Scorpion never had it as far as I can tell, though it was listed in Janes for a number of years as an optional extra. It still appears that its not fitted to Scimitar even now. Im not sure why, but I suspect lack of space after they fitted bowman might have something to do with it. To be honest if they are tracking something fast enough to need power traverse, they might be better off running away! :)

Originally posted by: Stuart666 To be honest if they are tracking something fast enough to need power traverse, they might be better off running away!

well it is only a CVRT, it werent really built to attack. It can scope fast enough to be able to track a small vehicle. Scimitars are quite nifty little tanks the only reason it would run away is that if it was attacked by a MBT or a Air-to Surfuce guided missile, even then it could out run most of the tanks on the battlefield. cant knock that poor little tank.

at that point it'll be like "ill get my big brother on you" and then out comes a challenger 2 emerging out of the mist.

then at if that doesnt work it'll be " deal with that love" out comes with working wife, the warrior lol. giving birth to troopers on the spot.

essentially though the Scimitar CVRT is just the inquizative child of the British Armoured Corps, light on its feet, lightly armoured but very hard to catch. Spending abit more on a power traverse unit would be abit unessecary.

Power traverse is not ONLY used to track targets. The commander might want to bring the gunner onto a target area not within his view for the gunners sight, Say the gunners looking at his 11-1, and the commander sees something at his 7, well then we select the power traverse to move the turret to that azmuth for the gunner , then ,call out a fire command if needed. Doing this in manual mode would be verbal for the commander (gunner traverse left) or for the gunner cranking the handle till his arm felt like falling off.

Yes power traverse is needed, don't know how the Brits could have lived without it, LOL

Power traverse is not ONLY used to track targets. The commander might want to bring the gunner onto a target area not within his view for the gunners sight, Say the gunners looking at his 11-1, and the commander sees something at his 7, well then we select the power traverse to move the turret to that azmuth for the gunner , then ,call out a fire command if needed. Doing this in manual mode would be verbal for the commander (gunner traverse left) or for the gunner cranking the handle till his arm felt like falling off.

Yes power traverse is needed, don't know how the Brits could have lived without it, LOL

The same reason they never wanted a bigger gun on Scimitar and Scorpion. They were built to get recce by stealth. As someone on ARRSE said, if you meet a target you want to kill you have a keyboard to ask someone to drop a bomb on it. If it was a tank, its time to run away, far away!! :)

well info can be passed to anything now-a-days, depends whats close enough to tend on the situation. but it is essentially the eyes and ears of the british army, probably the fastest on the battlefield at the moment with a 30mm cannon. as the challenger 2 is the fastest MBT over rough terrain something is needed to keep up with the MBT, that is where the scorpion family (scimitar, Samaritan, Sultan, Sabre, star streaker) comes in.

I am amazed by the 'baby' tank, at 250 yards away i couldnt even hear the v8 powerplant growl. not even a purr.

i think you all might be interested in the new weapon being tested at the moment for the Warrior MICV. its a CTWS (Cased Telescopic Weapon System) which fires 40mm APFSDS and HEAB (High Explosive Air-Burst) it will be installed into the Scimitar CVRT at a later stage but priority is the warrior at the moment. This is to replace the old 30mm Rarden Cannon due to its low load rate so if anyone wants more information please get in touch.

this is to replace the old 30mm Rarden Cannon due to its low load rate so if anyone wants more information please get in touch.

Any thing is better than a 3 round clip....the Saudi dudes got a belt fed one with there Warriors. that kicks ass, try defending yourself with a 3 round clip:decu: Glad to hear they are improving the Warrior. your other post about the scimitar, I think it is the fasted gas powered tracked recce wagon out there, but the Warrior was faster x-country (70 kmph) if I remember right, but isn't that new MBT from china meant to be faster than anything in the west? can not remember the name

Any thing is better than a 3 round clip....the Saudi dudes got a belt fed one with there Warriors. that kicks ass, try defending yourself with a 3 round clip:decu: Glad to hear they are improving the Warrior. your other post about the scimitar, I think it is the fasted gas powered tracked recce wagon out there, but the Warrior was faster x-country (70 kmph) if I remember right, but isn't that new MBT from china meant to be faster than anything in the west? can not remember the name

is it from korea by any chance? if so then i think its alot heavier then the Abrams M1A1, the Abrams bein a 65 ton tank it is or was the heaviest on the field but if it is from korea and is the fastest then it must have a really good powerplant. The americans were thinkin of buyin the perkins because it cost less to maintain, well as i heard anyways. it looks very simular to the Abrams aswell.

I would of thought though the Scimitar being smaller and just havin a crew of 3 without extra baggage it would be faster. i know it goes 80mph.

but yeh they are gettin rid of that old gun as it made its mark when it first entered service but has been totally out-dated by other vehicles ie CV-9040, ASCOD, Fennek WARV, etc, etc. it will have an entirely new turret, it can fire 40mm HEAB and APFSDS

Scimitar can go 60mph, well thats what they clocked before it ran out of runway, 80 is a bit excessive.

Bout bloody time the warrior got some stab, and LRF, TIS, list goes on (basically the whole nine yards of a decent FCS)

as well as a good gun, I was hoping for the Bofors 40mm in the CV, but one can dream, anyway its probably better having a belt feed.

Less loadin' more shootin' :biggrin:

ah it could of been 80kmph, see i had this book that was literally my bible lol it had everythin from the M60 tank to the boxer MRAV but this had gone walkies.

well i was lookin around see wat i could dig up, the warrior is the 1st to get the upgrade, then the scimitar. they do have the smalliest little tiney APFSDS rounds ive seen lol