Decals question

Captain_Colossus

For any of them that already have decals as a separate file- (M1, T-72...).

It looks as though you can't simply delete them or some of the texture in that area will be lost as well.

I am interested in what it takes to make these transparent as I don't want specific markings.

You need to work with the alpha layer in order to make them transparent. Turn on channels in PS and then turn of all the color channels and just work with the alpha and dont forget to save with the explicit alpha channel intact.

anyone have a clue what the ASLAV-25 decals is named? I cant locate them. I want them removed as it looks bloody gay to have 12A and a cangaroo on a USMC LAV that im working a skin for...

/KT

I think it is a combination of decal_bat.dds and decal_veh.dds

anyone have a clue what the ASLAV-25 decals is named? I cant locate them. I want them removed as it looks bloody gay to have 12A and a cangaroo on a USMC LAV that im working a skin for...

/KT

WTF!!!

12A being GAY!!!

KT your in for a world of hurt!

AND that furry 2 legged bouncing rat is a K-ang -a-roo

K is if KT, lol

JK'in:biggrin:

dont remove the color channel. you need to access the alpha lchannel. the alpha channel will only be black and white (well, all shades of gray too). this is the layer you want to paint black. anything not black on this layer will show through on the skin (white being fully shown with anything in between (gray) shown based on how light the gray is -- black is completely masked from showing; this info is for people wanting to work with decals). in order to conceal any part of the decal, paint it black. so, to remove any part of the decal from showing on the skin, paint the alpha layer black. none of the other RGB layers matter if you are trying to conceal the decal, only the alpha layer. if you are seeing black where the decal would belong on the skin, then you are working on the RGB channel painting it black. you need to paint the alpha channel.

damn it! we're back on topic again KT.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the explanation.

Well, I give up, my level of understanding is not getting better. Do either of you have a ready 'blank' file you can share, which can be used for anything, or will that not work? These methods are either obscure in PhotoShop Elements or don't apply the same way, since it doesn't contain the full range of tools.

I've tried painting the alpha layer black, deleting it- nothing matters. All that happens are large black squares appear or just the emblems themselves appear black, or the program just forces the decals to appear again when it decides there's information missing. I've reached the limit of my learning curve here, I cannot detect any logic in it. It's strange for example how painting just the T-72 emblems black in the alpha channel (actually called a 'selection' in Photo Shop Elements- it doesn't have channel palettes) will paint the fume extractor and part of the texture on the right front turret black (not the IR cover). There is no logical connection I can see why that would happen, so it's nothing more than just a mystery to me that trial and error doesn't reveal.

Thanks for the explanation.

Well, I give up, my level of understanding is not getting better. Do either of you have a ready 'blank' file you can share, which can be used for anything, or will that not work? These methods are either obscure in PhotoShop Elements or don't apply the same way, since it doesn't contain the full range of tools.

I've tried painting the alpha layer black, deleting it- nothing matters. All that happens are large black squares appear or just the emblems themselves appear black, or the program just forces the decals to appear again when it decides there's information missing. I've reached the limit of my learning curve here, I cannot detect any logic in it. It's strange for example how painting just the T-72 emblems black in the alpha channel (actually called a 'selection' in Photo Shop Elements- it doesn't have channel palettes) will paint the fume extractor and part of the texture on the right front turret black (not the IR cover). There is no logical connection I can see why that would happen, so it's nothing more than just a mystery to me that trial and error doesn't reveal.

Are you saving the file as a dds with expicit alpha?

Do either of you have a ready 'blank' file you can share, which can be used for anything, or will that not work?

Try this.

It is actually the "t72-decals.dds" from the stock game's desert folder. From what I can tell, it's a transparent file of a few pixels' dimension. When you use it in place of a decal file, the decal doesn't show in-game. It also doesn't leave a black spot in its place.

I've given it a dummy name of "blank". You'll need to make copies and rename them to whatever decal file(s) you don't want to see in the game. [it needs to remain a .dds file] Drop it in the appropriate MODS folder (like you would any custom skin). Viola. No markings.

The only tricky part is knowing what to name it. The game's decal-naming convention is as messed up as the skin-naming is. e-Sim, thy name is not consistency. A fellow has to play sherlock frickin holmes to determine which decal files go with which vehicle. In some cases there are more than one per vehicle, and they're not obvious. What do you think "tacnum" belongs to, for example. Hmm?

Anyway. This works, colossus, if what you want to do is eliminate the in-game markings. Good luck.

blank_rar.563139fa588b65e2ed868f33614c2c

blank.rar