last update for now?

RICH12ACE

• Members

Certainly not "a few years". I could imagine that we have several nice new elements in spring that would warrant a new release. It could however be that by that time there is a big rush for us to get another thing completed by summer which might then delay things - but if that happens I can guarantee that everyone here will agree that it was worth the wait. I just don't know if that will happen just yet.

• Members

Unfortunately that isn't possible.

We are already moving into new areas with the classroom version, and we can't just fix a few bugs without introducing these new features (which, at this stage, would only bring bigger problems with them). The question isn't whether the current version of SB Pro PE has a few bugs - it certainly does, and I don't think we will ever see a truly bug-free version. The question is, are the current bugs less severe and irritating that those in 2.460, and I think we can agree that 2.483 definitely is a progress over the immediate predecessor version.

Ssnake, any plans on releasing a small patch to fix the small bugs that been noted in 2.483?
Unfortunately that isn't possible.

Excellent... this means that I will hammer my brutha continuously in LAN games using the cargo trucks to re supply my ammo along with sabot only refills. Muwahahahahahahahahah...

No, it will magically change to full implementation of night effects before the next release.

Mog

Practicing the art of sarcasm again I see? I apologize, but it does not become you. You do so much better in the role of the miserable individual that we all know you as. Maybe you should go back to getting your kicks out of playing Chewy? You do it so well.

So you see no problems whatsoever with the half implementation of a major feature and then having to I assume pay again to get the full implementation? Oh, wait, of course you don't have an issue with that. I almost forgot. My apologies.

Sigh. Whether I am happy with something in the sim or not,doesnt matter one way or the other. The man said spring at the earliest, and I take him at his word. To ask if something will be added before the next update after reading that nothing else will be done until that update is foolish.

Mog

Sigh. Whether I am happy with something in the sim or not,doesnt matter one way or the other. The man said spring at the earliest, and I take him at his word. To ask if something will be added before the next update after reading that nothing else will be done until that update is foolish.

Mog

Sigh. It is an attempt to make the point that something has been implemented partially in this version and for it to be fully implemented we need to purchase another update at some point down the road. I am aware of what Nils wrote.

• Members

We added "dynamic changes of ambient light level" as a feature, and that is "complete". You are reading "night combat is partially done" into this, and call it a half-implemented feature. We both know that even if you had night vision gear now, it would still not be a full implementation of night combat as other crucial elements would still be missing - illumination rounds, and more importantly, the behavior of computer-controlled units to make intelligent choices whether to switch off engines to listen for the enemy, or to call in illumination rounds to start an engagement against a suspected enemy presence (but not to call for illumination all the time - a proper balance is needed here).

At the same time we have other issues on the agenda - 3D infantry, non-combatants, autonomous (civilian) car traffic, network interoperability with other simulations and 3rd party terrain database tools, multisidedness and other elements of asymmetrical warfare.

Yes, I have understood that you are primarily interested in night combat at this point, but surely you understand that we can't address everything at the same time.

At the same time we have other issues on the agenda - 3D infantry, non-combatants, autonomous (civilian) car traffic, network interoperability with other simulations and 3rd party terrain database tools, multisidedness and other elements of asymmetrical warfare.

Sweat!!! :grin:

That will be more serious, when you'll have to clearly identify your targets!

Specifically, whats worse about it? Besides the overly speedy resupply of ammo, I can't think of much new.

I've been gone for a few days so excuse the lateness of this response. I'd have to go through the forums to relook at the various bugs that have been reported. I don't have time for that. One that does come to mind though is the "HE bug" with the Pizarro ammunition. Another one which comes to mind is the bug where if you are in a vehicle where you can unbutton and man a weapon on the outside of the vehicle, when you leave the weapon, (F1) you are automatically put inside the vehicle as opposed to behind the weapon as would be proper. For those of us who like to create missions and man vehicles like the humvee or M113, it is extremely annoying and frustrating.

I just think you guys have somewhat lost control of the code. Every time a new version is implemented with additional features, new bugs get introduced which IMHO kill immersion in the sim for me. Little things IMHO make for immersion. When you constantly have to "go around this stuff" in order to play the sim, it gets old. I did not expect this for the money I have paid.

I understand military contracts get preference but I would just like some time put in to do some serious bug killing for the civillian version.

• Members
I understand military contracts get preference but I would just like some time put in to do some serious bug killing for the civillian version.

You mean, more serious than the 208 bugs that got squashed since version 2.328 (42 in version 2.370, 123 in version 2.460, and another 43 with version 2.483, not counting the invalid bug reports which still cost serious time to investigate).

Maybe we didn't address the bugs that you find most annoying, but we certainly made polls among the beta team to identify the bugs that they considered top priority, and their votes were certainly influenced by their direct experiences in online multiplayer battles.

We have to balance the desire for a flawless, well-rounded application and user interface with the necessity to add new content and functions to justify charging money. I remember well the hell that was raised when I pointed out the extraordinary large number of bug fixes to justify that we'd be charging money for 2.460 - the message from at least a very vocal minority was that charging money for the effort of fixing bug was not ethical, to rephrase it in a more polite way.

So, the reality is that most people voicing their opinion here in the forum clearly demand new stuff rather than bugs being fixed. We do not intend to follow such a foolish demand but we can't ignore the preference for new functionality either.

I too would like to devote half a year to clean up inconsistencies and snags of our current user interface, to make it more intuitive. But the reality is that nobody is willing to pay for that work. eSim Games however must operate profitably to stay in business. If we were after profit maximization above and before all we wouldn't work in this business in the first place. But we're no charity either. The Steel Beasts version history contains a fraction of about 30% that are entries about bug fixes. That is a decent amount of effort devoted to quality control.

• Administrators
I've been gone for a few days so excuse the lateness of this response. I'd have to go through the forums to relook at the various bugs that have been reported. I don't have time for that. One that does come to mind though is the "HE bug" with the Pizarro ammunition. Another one which comes to mind is the bug where if you are in a vehicle where you can unbutton and man a weapon on the outside of the vehicle, when you leave the weapon, (F1) you are automatically put inside the vehicle as opposed to behind the weapon as would be proper. For those of us who like to create missions and man vehicles like the humvee or M113, it is extremely annoying and frustrating.

I just think you guys have somewhat lost control of the code. Every time a new version is implemented with additional features, new bugs get introduced which IMHO kill immersion in the sim for me. Little things IMHO make for immersion. When you constantly have to "go around this stuff" in order to play the sim, it gets old. I did not expect this for the money I have paid.

I was asking specifically what was bothering you, so there's no need to search the forums. :-) As for the way the views work, I'm not so sure its a bug. It might have been a interface change that was requested by someone. Time was taken to knock out as many of the big bugs as possible beforehand, but I can tell you that there will always be bugs, period. It's really just a question of how noticeable they are. I can't recall anyone else mentioning the view changes so I guess its affecting you more than others.

But, I do see where you are coming from. SB is always changing, and when new things are added or a change is made, it affects everything else and how it works. Old bugs will be fixed, and new ones will invariably be added. The best we can hope for is to keep any major problems from slipping through.