Getting troops to stay still

112TYR

Hello.

I am designing a mission(a basic call-for-fire training mission) that requires several infantry teams to stay put in the middle of an open plain without moving. So far I've tried giving them no tactics/no routes, giving them "Hold"-tactics and "Stay"-tactics. I've even reduced their fuel level down to 0%, but they still get up and run for cover as soon as they appear on the map. Is there any way to force them to stay put...?

Using bunkers in SBP is not clever, they are still too easy to spot, and they are notorious attention getters, translates into: death traps. I personally turn into a raging animal when spotting a bunker. I blast it to pieces within seconds after I spotted it, no matter whether somehting inside is moving or not. It is also much easier to hit than is infantry that "melts" into the ground inside forests. the squad in the forest may keep me busy for a while. The bunker eats one HE, and done it is.

Even better, my AI buddies tell me whether or not a bunker is manned. They have magic eyes to watch inside where I just see a black square. The only fire if the bunker is manned. They do not fire if it is empty. Which means that then I fire at it nevertheless. A failing gene, I assume, sometimes I just can't hold myself.

I would make them a simple, very modest elevation only, without any textures different to the ground they sit it on, and certainly without that big black square at the front of it that even at long ranges say "I'm here, please hit me". Beyond a certain short range, they should be simply invisible, and deleted from the display.

If you want to get rid of your smartass TF commander, tell him to sit inside that bunker, then take a free shift for the rest of the day. The problem soon solves itself, then. :biggrin:

I think that the adjustments to the infantry modelling that have taken place recently address most of your complaints about bunkers. The infantry can now 'hide' depending on the terrain. And bunkers were never that useful to begin with anyway. In other words, I absolutely agree with you about bunkers' general usefulness.

But if you want to use infantry as a static target for an artillery training mission, perhaps using a bunker is a good solution for the reasons that you cite. Bunkers are obvious and make clear targets.

Edited by GaryOwen
clarification

Using bunkers in SBP is not clever, they are still too easy to spot, and they are notorious attention getters, translates into: death traps. I personally turn into a raging animal when spotting a bunker. I blast it to pieces within seconds after I spotted it, no matter whether somehting inside is moving or not.

You too huh? Is there an organization for people like us? :biggrin:

Use "Stay" and adjust the LOS dot (the black circle in the center of the view fan) closer to the unit until it turns clear.

Not quite sure what you mean by this. I have tried the "Stay"-command, and the LOS is clear at the beginning - they are in plain view when they spawn, but they then try to move out of LOS.

• 3 weeks later...
See attached scenario for clarification.

Thanks, I'll look into that!

By the way, I noticed infantry can occupy buildings as well. (Yes, I've been away from SB a while :P)

Is there any way to tell if there's enemy troops in buildings?