Steel Beasts Pro PE Campaigns?

Whisky-Delta

Hello

New to the forums, i have been a tank enthusiast since i was a nipper, and now that i pay taxes and have a job i decided to buy SB Pro PE :)

After a weekend of going through the tutorials and such, i must say it was the best move i ever made when buying a game. I love the level of fidelity and detail, my only criticism is no Challenger 2 or M1A2 but im not bringing up that deamon from the depths of the forum. Also as a career 3d modeller and terrain database engineer i would like to see developments made in those areas, but those issues do not reduce my high regard for the sim.

However, once i have completed the tutorials, there does not seem a large amount of single player misisons or indeed any sort of campaign. Due to me coming from a consumer gameing background (Arma, Arma2, OFP, COD4 etc), i normaly expect a campaign to plough through, but i have yet to find one, other than a handful of mission. At this stage i am not diving into online play, but just a bit of casual tanking.

So are their plans on releasing some sort of a campaign for each nations tank force, or the same campign but you can pick which tank force to command or anything of this nature? If not are their some alternative user uploaded campaigns or good mission packs which may suite me? I have had a look in the download section, but am unsure which may be best or most suitable, hence this post.

Regards

Whisky

I think that at one point in time, several years ago perhaps, there was serious talk about incorporating a single player campaign into the game. But that was when there was still an assumption that SB2 would be released within the foreseeable future.

Presently, it seems, that there is still plenty of work on the professional edition that needs to be done. The developers are going to be spending their energy that way. Armies are interested in training value, not good storytelling, so no official campaign in sight for SB Pro PE.

However, we the community, have the necessary tools to create our own campaigns, provided that by 'campaign' you mean a sequential series of scenarios that are connected by theme. If you've got some experience designing campaigns or scenarios, and if you spend a bit of time doing 'meet and greet' with some of the community members who work on scenario building, you might be able to get a team together to make exactly what you want.

In the meantime, you're stuck exploring and experimenting with the scenarios that come with the disc and that are available for download. The mission editor is both easy to start using and powerful in its potential for complexity.

This page might be helpful in getting started with the editor: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Scenario_Design

If there is anything more specific about what type of scenarios you'd like to explore at this stage, mention it here. There isn't much of a way to categorize user submitted scenarios, so the only practical ways to find out if there is something out there that matches what you're looking for is either to check out everything or to find someone who has seen something that matches your request and have them identify it for you.

I have played several of the single missions ten or twenty times, trying different tactical approaches, changing weapons or adding/changing units with the editor.

That enhanced a lot my playing and allowed me tho develop correct tactical behavior.

For instance, I started with "Are they attacking here?", a classic scenario modified from the first SB, which I played as well. Well, I played it almost twenty times. In one of my variants I added a tank platoon and exchanged the Marders for the drivable Bradleys. They became completely different games.

Cheers,

Panta

I have seen a lot of talk about the original SB missions, being converted in SB Pro PE to be replayed. Has someone converted all of the original SB missions into SB Pro PE, as that would add a good number of missions for me. Then from what i have gathered from your posts, i could then edit those missions and the currenly provided scenarious, changing units, enemy strength etc. After which point i would have gained an understanding of how to use the scenario editor for future scenario generation myself. Can anyopne help in this regard, as i dont have Steel Beasts Gold.

Also as i mentioned i am by career, and also, in a way, by hobby a 3d modeller and terragin database engineer. I know Dejawolf thorugh military meshes. How extendable is SB Pro PE? Could i add in my own tanks? I am currently modelling a high res challenger 2, but i am intending to then convert that to real time ready model. Would be good if i could then get it into SB. I am also intending to boost my programming skills, so a little home project wouldnt help. Also is there any info on creating your own terrains? I have access to a load of geospecific terrain (imagery, vector and elevation) at work, would be good to see if i could get a geo-speciic terrain going in SB. With my works approval of course. Could i be pointed in the direction of the eSIM, SB developers contact details? Like i previously said i am in the sim industry, so this sort of development would usefull to me, and possibly to eSim?!?!?

Regards

Whisky

• Administrators

There are tons of missions and converted missions in the downloads area.

End users cannot add their own tanks. If you are interested in modelling new tanks, then I would contact dejawolf via pm. There is already a large backlog of new models and art waiting to be added, though.

If you can come up with DTEDs of your target area, then anyone with the Pro military version can import them for you, along with whatever shape files you can come up with. The shape files can be used to import whatever line objects you would like to add, but its not so great for areas. Thats pretty much the extent of what can be done, everything else must be hand edited to try to match whatever imagery you can get. It's not a fast process. Send me a pm if you want more info.

Well, SB doesn't have a built in Campagin mode, so the best you can hope for is a series of missions based around the same concept. As it would be extremely difficult and time consuming to design follow-on missions based on the results of a previous mission with high fidelity, the best you can expect is a number of missions that aren't dependant upon the outcome of a previous one.

In multiplayer, it can, and has be done where the results of mission "A" are carried over to mission "B". However, the info from mission "A" must be brought into mission "B" manually as there isn't a tool that will do it for you automatically.

Once you play around in the mission editor for awhile, you'll see what can and cannot be accomplished within its capabilities.

naw, that would just clutter up the battlefield. also add to the enormous task Tac already has. not a bad idea however...

the closest you can get to a campaign aside from the multiplayer events would be the few multi-scenario "operation" sets. basically a set of single player missions. i had one on Gold, but it's not updated. maybe i'll take a look at it. in the meantime, hit up the downloads section. there are lots of good missions in there. oh, and i guess my toothpicks.sce and icepicks.sce are supposed to be congruous.

Might make for an interesting Sce.

Red (or Blue) HQ vehicle destroyed in the last battle both sides aiming to secure it.

Make it the personal vehicle of a famous beloved general or something.

(Sean, Volcano, Roguesnake etc)

To make it more interesting the CO gets a break from this battle and the respective 2IC gets to play war.

Just a creative suggestion.