TIS and Edimensional 3D Glasses??

The_Nephilim

Hi, I really been enjoying this sim alot. but have noticed with the 3D glasses and while I am in the gunners view and using TIS I get NO 3D Effect (Double Image).

Now the S3D works fine in the other views except when I look through the GPS and using the TIS.

Now I know I am the minority with using the S3D Glasses. but I am mostly curious as to why the S3D Effect is basically Off while usibng the TIS??

I also noticed in the Drivers view the left & Right side part of the windows (lack of terminology) I only see half of either side very annoying and limiting. Would be nice if we could pan around with the HAT switch or have some sort of Wideview to see both windows. ;)

• Members
Hi, I really been enjoying this sim alot. but have noticed with the 3D glasses and while I am in the gunners view and using TIS I get NO 3D Effect (Double Image).

It's the direct consequence of a feature. All but the latest generation electro-optical sensors (like the Leopard 2A5+ driver's rear view camera) operate with a relatively low resolution. Lower than SB Pro players' typical settings at least. We are rendering the scene in the thermal view with the original resolution that each sensor actually has so that players with high res settings do not get an unrealistic (and unfair) capability to identify distant targets; they show up in the real imagers as ... blobs, and that should also be the case in SB Pro.

That way it is ensured that everybody gets to see an image of the same quality irrespective of the budget for super-duper hardware. Unfortunately this also means that the 3D information is lost, because of the way that the scene is being rendered. Then again, in the real tank you are looking at a thermal imager screen with no 3D effect either...

OK here is a screenshot of the M1A1 F9 View Buttoned:

m1a1.png

By the_nephilim at 2009-09-16

And from what I can tell this is the Default F9 Buttoned view for the following tanks:

1. M1A1

2. Leo 1A5, 2A4, 2A5..

The Following is the Default F9 Buttoned view for the following Tanks from what I can tell:

1. Leo 2E

2. Strv 122

sbpropecm20090916184113.png

By the_nephilim at 2009-09-16

The 1st Pic is the kind of Tanks I mostly Drive in so we can start with those 1st. Is the view cuttoff on the left and right of the center window?? thnx for your Patience Seriously ;)

I am a Noob to these sims..

The top one is the 'original-placeholder' driver position, and is a fixed bitmap overlaid on the forward view.

The lower one is the newer driver position, and has independently rendered 3d interior, rear view camera and vision blocks. You can rotate the viewpoint and the field of view from the vision blocks will alter appropriately

• Members
OK here is a screenshot of the M1A1 F9 View Buttoned:

Yeah, that's intentional I'm afraid to say. The alternative would be a panning movement which isn't really a nice solution, or to make the vision blocks so small that they all fit the screen, but then the vertical size of each of them would be really small. We found this to be the least bad compromise.

My recommendation is to go unbuttoned. Contrary to real life you can't be harmed by a rotating turret.

Please understand that the driver's position was added as some sort of an afterthought. Originally SB and SB Pro didn't have it. Some army customers however wanted to have the driver's position so that another human was in the virtual crew with whom the vehicle commander had to interact and to give commands. This driver's position is made to support the training of the vehicle commander.

Now that SB Pro has a driver's position, new vehicles of course get a simplified 3D driver's cockpit as well. Since we didn't expect to add a driver's position until about two years ago we didn't cover other vehicles well enough to build accurate (though primitive) 3D versions of the driver's place. Therefore we will have to live with this ugly bitmap overlay for quite a while.