Tacbat's Operation Variable Campaign

Sean

Thanks to Tacbat, V, and Sean. Job well done by all.

Mog

It's nice to see that Variable I has come to an end after a long and hard fought battle. Such endings are always positive as they are hard earned by the victor. Although I feel more like saying, "What a joke, they chucked out a guy for what he did at their suggestion and for no other reason while refusing to be held accountable for it, and condoning far more destructive activities because the latter were done by their favorite", in the interests of being positive, I'll digress. I don't approve of their actions (and neither do any other decent people), but I do appreciate their hard work to keep this campaign's gears turning.

As someone who participated, I felt I had to speak. If someone here has a problem with what I say, don't post about it. If you do, it's your fault and not mine that you're posting crap that's "disruptive". Moderators, take note.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that it was enjoyed by the community, despite the issues we had to deal with along the way. I'm greatful for everyone's patience.

Special thanks to Sean and Volcano for CO'ing the entire 12 missions. Not the most enjoyable position to hold, but of the utmost importance.

A "cheers" to Dark for his nifty little program which made tabulating the stats a breeze.

Finally, thanks to everyone who made suggestions or gave feedback as we went along. Hopefully they were either implemented, or I gave a resonable explaination as to why it may have not been. Remember, when you're the campaign coordinator, you get to call the shots. :wink: (looks around for someone to pass the torch to)

Is there any chance that the entire campaign could be made available for download?

I'll see what I can do.

• Moderators

Some things I need to say:

Firstly, Operation Variable I was an awesome campaign -- here's to hoping that we have many more of them. It must be something good when it suddenly feels like something that was looked forward to each week is now missing. :(

OpV was an outstanding and novel concept in that losses, kills and objectives were tied to points that effected the next scenario. Losses created real and tangible negatives which caused more realistic behavior, something which is lacking in the standard TGIF stand alone scenario where you play to a time limit, expending anything and everything at the last minute. In our final mission, when I was ordering many a tank to its death crossing the Pegasus Bridge, I cringed with the death of each one and eventually called off the bridge crossing. This is something that you just don't get in a "normal" stand alone scenario (the emotional attachment to the true "value" of each unit).

While it was true that a few rough edges needed to be polished, it was understandable that some would be there any time something complex like this is created and put into motion. What was remarkable is that there was very little that needed to be polished, and what little things that did need to be "worked out" we all worked through it and Tacbat was nice enough to listen and refine the rules as it progressed. The result is an outstanding model of a campaign that is now (both the rules and the results) in the SBwiki for all time. Now anyone can host up their own OpV campaign from this point on, or create another campaign totally different. Or, maybe you want to create a campaign based on OpV but with with something a little different or a little less? The only thing required is the desire and effort to do so. As we can see, when both the time and effort is put forward by the campaign coordinator and the COs, then the experience is very rewarding to all those that can participate.

The other thing I want to say is, good job to Sean for CO'ing Red. I think the campaign went on as long as it did because both sides did not want to give up, and did not want to give an inch of ground to the other. From the very beginning when Blue was in a bad way we never gave up, and the same was true when it went the other way; Red never quit and fought hard to the last scenario. Also, a big thanks to everyone who kept coming back (on both sides) and participating. It wouldn't have been much of a campaign at all if it was only the two COs that showed up to play. The real life of the battle is all those who show up to play it.

And finally, I would say that the thing I will miss the most about the campaign being over was the weekly planning and brainstorming that went on in TS between myself, Dark, Roguesnake, and Mog (and some others from time to time). While the final plan and purchase for each mission had to come down to the CO, it was a great help every week when purchase and planning ideas and suggestions were offered by all, thus making the part of CO'ing between scenarios much easier and effective. It was also a great help that Dark and Tacbat were pretty much acting as XOs from time to time, controlling and coordinating specific sectors of the battlefield so I could concentrate on coordinating the "big picture". It should probably be a model for future campaigns; the CO for each side should strive to get everyone involved during the week (and the "users" should try to do more than just "show up and play" if they can). By doing this, it builds a stronger community and has a great effect on team building, and builds more confidence in each other as well (as well as building confidence in a plan). This probably had a great effect on the outcome of the campaign as a whole. (I will post all of Blue's plans in the OpV thread and possibly in SBwiki OpV I section).

Awesome Show Great Job!

I have been following this campaign,

Looked awesome from the outside that's for sure! Have to give you all props!, It inspired me to make a sp variant with similar scoring n such. It has also inspired me to Set up me router n DL TS, Going to have to get involved in the next campaign/tgif! Thank you for breathing "renewed" life into the beast!