****Pro PE File Paths****

Sean

I'm running Win10 and having a right faf on getting new maps into the game..............I can only find the 'ingame'  .ter maps in the 'this pc > local disk (c:) > ProgramData > esimgames > steel beasts > maps'

The ProgramData folder is hidden, so I've just made a shortcut to it on my desktop.

I've dropped the new maps (all single file *.ter files) into this maps folder but the game wont even see them, let alone open them.

Seems weird that the maps are in a hidden folder that has to be 'unhidden' before you can see them..............

Is there something else I'm missing doing on Win10?

Any help would be appreciated.

26 minutes ago, braceman said:

Seems weird that the maps are in a hidden folder that has to be 'unhidden' before you can see them..............

Agreed. Complain to Microsoft - its their operating system (the Steel Beasts installation process doesn't hide them).

26 minutes ago, braceman said:

Is there something else I'm missing doing on Win10?

You are missing part of the path.

Within C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps there are sub folders:

a. C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\height

b. C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\terrain

c. C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\themes

Put the *.ter files into "b." and they will work. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

• 4 years later...
On 2/10/2019 at 12:32 PM, Gibsonm said:

Agreed. Complain to Microsoft - its their operating system (the Steel Beasts installation process doesn't hide them).

You are missing part of the path.

Within C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps there are sub folders:

a. C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\height

b. C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\terrain

c. C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\themes

Put the *.ter files into "b." and they will work. :)

This doesn't work for me. I'm using the old 2.6 Steel Beasts Pro PE version

My installation path is in C:\Program Files (x86)\eSim Games\SB Pro PE directory, but there is no "maps" folder at all.

Neither in the users/documents folder (as well AppData) there is no maps folder at all.

Honestly I don't even know where the original default Steel Beasts maps are located, that folder seems to be hidden or invisible...

Any suggestions where I can find that hidden map folder?

1 hour ago, DJ_Kartoffel said:

My installation path is in C:\Program Files (x86)\eSim Games\SB Pro PE directory, but there is no "maps" folder at all.

Neither in the users/documents folder (as well AppData) there is no maps folder at all.

Honestly I don't even know where the original default Steel Beasts maps are located, that folder seems to be hidden or invisible...

Well AppData indicates Windows 10 (or earlier)?

That's still a hidden file.

From memory you need to right click on the folder, properties, then deselect hidden.

That maybe way off the mark, so perhaps do a search for "hidden files in Windows X (whichever one you are using)"

Way back in ver 2.6 you couldn't choose where to install the maps files, so they will be in AppData (assuming they are there at all).

You should find two sub folders at least "Height" and "Terrain", with "Themes" likely to be there as well (IIRC).

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
5 hours ago, DJ_Kartoffel said:

Most likely, C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps

Note that ProgramData is a hidden folder and wouldn't be shown in the Windows File Explorer by its default settings. But you can type %PROGRAMDATA% in the Explorer's address bar to get there (or change the display options in the File Explorer to reveal hidden folders).

I think we decribed this even in the version 2.6 User's Manual. But then again, that was ten years ago, I honestly don't remember everything that changed over the whole decade.