Minefield breaches

Toyguy

I've spent the day playing around with a couple of minefield-related scenarios, and I'm wondering if the general consensus is that there really isn't a way to reliably clear a path through a minefield?

I've been through Dark Angel's Breach demo, and in that one the engineer going through to mark the field after the plow tank successfully passes through routinely blows up before reaching the end of the path. I then attempted to use my observer vehicle to push the disabled engineer ahead of me. Interestingly, the engineer vehicle kept placing flags to mark the route :)

Didn't really matter though, since after a few dozen meters I blew up passing through a spot the engineer vehicle had just been pushed through.

This, plus similar results in another scenario I played today, gives rise to the thought that minefields seem to be impenetrable, unless perhaps you were to use several mine plows or dual MICLICs on the same path. I didn't try that.

Thoughts?

Dave

Well the few times I've done a deliberate breach (in terms of SOSRA) its worked in the following sequence (for the "R" part of SOSRA anyway):

1. Giant Viper / MICLIC fired over minefield at breach location.

2. MBT with plough follows path established with Giant Viper / MICLIC.

3. MBT with roller "proves" route created with plough.

4. Engr vehicle to mark "proven" route.

5. Follow on forces for the "A" part of SOSRA.

• Members
I've spent the day playing around with a couple of minefield-related scenarios, and I'm wondering if the general consensus is that there really isn't a way to reliably clear a path through a minefield?

Is there one in real life?

;)

Seriously though, usually it works if you employ more than one asset/method to breach a lane. Miclic isn't very stealthy (and not very reliable anyway ... but should work well as a part of a deception plan, heh). If you want a mine clearance without the involvement of lots of explosives, use plows then rollers then engineers. You may get by just using plows if you're dealing with surface-laid mines and if you're driving the point tank yourself, from the driver's position (don't forget to hit the space bar to lower the plow!).

Breaching mine obstacles is time consuming and risky. That's why they're calls "obstacles" and not "nuisances". You are confronted with the dilemma to drive around the obstacles and thereby act to suit the enemy's plan, or to breach the obstacle but thereby investing a lot of time that gives the defender time to reorganize.

Is there one in real life?

;)

Seriously though, usually it works if you employ more than one asset/method to breach a lane. Miclic isn't very stealthy (and not very reliable anyway ... but should work well as a part of a deception plan, heh). If you want a mine clearance without the involvement of lots of explosives, use plows then rollers then engineers. You may get by just using plows if you're dealing with surface-laid mines and if you're driving the point tank yourself, from the driver's position (don't forget to hit the space bar to lower the plow!).

Breaching mine obstacles is time consuming and risky. That's why they're calls "obstacles" and not "nuisances". You are confronted with the dilemma to drive around the obstacles and thereby act to suit the enemy's plan, or to breach the obstacle but thereby investing a lot of time that gives the defender time to reorganize.

Oh, I understand the nature of them, even though I'm an Air Force sorta guy :) I was just curious, as a noob, if others found it to be the same way.

I re-ran Dark Angel's demo last night, adding a 3-tank Platoon of mine rollers between the plow and the engineers. The plow set off one mine, the rollers set off 2 more and the engineers still blew up about half-way across. I pushed the engineer the rest of the way, setting off 1 more mine, then I blew up going back in the opposite direction. I think you will have to resign yourself to some losses to get across one of these things - and maybe that's accurate :D

Another observation today - it seems to be important that the follow-on units follow the same route as the breachers, and I don't mean just drive it the same way. If I put the following vehicles on the same defined route, they get thorough. If I manually drive them up the path, they sometimes don't. Perhaps SB is clearing the centerline of the route of mines?

Also, I've had a repeatable problem today where, at the end of the breach, the engineer begins placing flags out of place. The vehicle seems to take a jog to the left at the end and actually ends up stuck, going forward and back, in the end route flag marker. Same thing occurs for the followup vehicle on the same route.

Anyone seen that before?

I've attached the edited scenario. I'd be interested to see if it does it for others.

56e83c8272ed1_4-wayMineBreachDemo_zip.bb

4-way Mine Breach Demo.zip

Hi Toyguy,i just did a Mine clearance mission.You might like to try it.It has a combination of Ploughs and MICLIC's.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?p=176021#post176021

Hey Andy,

Yes, it was your mission that got me started down this path :)

Nice job by the way, I've played it a couple times now and I'm still having fun with it. Perfect for beginners, as you noted.

You may also want to check out (in the mission editor) the "Breach" scenario in the Demo scenarios folder. That breach operation works fairly reliably.

Well, there were a few quibbles in it, so here's a modified version with some bugs ironed out.

Thanks Snake - I will be checking that out this evening!

I like to breacch the obstacles. whaT I DO IS PLACE THE ENGINEER DIRECTLY BEHIND the tank with plow, plow a lane thru, then have the engineer mark the lane, then take the plow and clear a wider path to help eliminate stray vehicle deaths. time consuming yes but then again i dont play with time limits so i kinda act like it a real life mission

• 9 years later...

I see this thread is a bit dated but this is the one Dr. Google keeps throwing me on this topic. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on OPFOR computer breaching (no human intervention). I've tried setting some breaching routes and then having the computer flow through it but it always ends up like a bad bumper car session where everyone is stuck in a corner. Any thoughts? Thank you for the help.

2 minutes ago, Rhyfel said:

I see this thread is a bit dated but this is the one Dr. Google keeps throwing me on this topic. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on OPFOR computer breaching (no human intervention). I've tried setting some breaching routes and then having the computer flow through it but it always ends up like a bad bumper car session where everyone is stuck in a corner. Any thoughts? Thank you for the help.

Haven't tried that for some time.

I'll give it a revisit and see if there are workable ways...

Thank you Grenny. I'll give it another shot. I think its going to come down to obstacle intelligence for the computer through scouting as well as some careful placing of different regions and conditional routes. Also maybe making some hide sites for the assault elements during the breach. I'm thinking the rollers need to come out too due to lack of speed.

Of course this is all dependent upon the player not destroying HPTs prior to the breach  ;) 

• Members

I believe that we still include the "minefield breaching" scenario in the "Scenarios\Demo" folder where you could replace the units with OpFor equipment. This would still be dependent on the Miclic; either you use the M113 or Bradley Miclic as a stand-in for the UR-77, or if you can't squint hard enough, you do without them (still possible to breach a minefield without them).

That scenario doesn't even use specialize engineer tanks such as the Wisent with full-width mineplow.

It's fully scripted and runs without much human intervention. In fact, I used this for years to demonstrate the wide range of capabilities that Steel Beasts has.

6 hours ago, Rhyfel said:

Well apart from Ssnake's offer, you could read my guide, which has the Miclic come forward, retreat if ... its fired and then the plough tank use the same route (embark if ...) beyond where the Miclic fired.

Finally the marking vehicle finishes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nf8ft8ouderer4m/19. Breaching 3.023.pdf?dl=0

There's also a worked 4.023 example which I'll find for you.

UPDATE:

Copy attached

Load scenario,

Select 4/5/A

Right click "proceed"

Various other Engineering stuff in the scenario too.

BG_ANZAC_Tutorial__2_Breach_Bridge_Route_Scripted_breach_Demo_4_023.sce

Edited by Gibsonm

• 4 weeks later...