SB Pro PE vs SB1 Complexity?

MarkShot

Greetings All!

I have reloaded my copy of SB1 and am contemplating whether I want to buy SB Pro PE?

I wanted to ask how is the complexity of SB Pro PE? Is it way beyond SB1? I mean will I feel out of place if I haven't been in the Service in armor? Will I be running through check lists and flipping 20 switches before I can do an engine start? Or can I enjoy SB Pro PE similar to SB1 as a very educational and realistic game?

Also, will my knowledge of scenario behavior, routes, and tank controls be transferrable for SB1 so that I am not starting from scratch?

Thanks for your time.

PS: If there wasn't an SB Pro PE, I could see myself playing SB1 as I am having fun with it reloaded. Not to mention how much additional scenario action is now available for download. Oh, that reminds me of another question. Are SB1 scenarios upward compatible with SB Pro PE? Thanks again.

Having never had SB1, but having SBPROPE, I can say that its not that complex... it is worth the investment if you are a hardcore tanker and want the best tank sim on the market. There arent 1000 things you need to do to start the engine, or even fire the gun.

Greetings, Markshot. I played SB1 prior to investing in SBproPE. I can say that I noticed no significant increase in complexity (from a difficulty point of view). Granted, I mostly drive the M1, and mostly play instant action and custom scenarios involving slug fests with waves of Soviet armor.

I loved SB1 for what it was. Upgrading to SBproPE was simply a matter of spoiling mine eyes in all its hi-res glory!

The function is very close for the most part. There are some additional (optional) unit types, and some operations such as breaching are harder to accomplish than a straight advance/defense.

The main change is the limited ready supply of ammuntion - each tank only has 13-22 rounds ready to fire, out of a total of 40-60 carried. Breaking contact to accomplish a reload in relative safety is an additional tactical challenge - it can be avoided by smaller scenarios or the use of unlimited ammunition for the player vehicle if it is not considered desireable.

Hello Markshot. SB Pro PE definitely has a lot more depth, but being a veteran of SB1 you will hit the ground running. It took me roughly 20 minutes to have a quick read of the user's manual and create my first custom mission with the editor!

I could write a list of one hundred good reasons to upgrade, but the thing I like most about the upgrade to Pro PE is the immersive feeling of really being in a tank battle, it just feels real.

Hi Markshot,

Good that you are back - I remember that in the past SB1-times you often gave interesting input on the forums.

You may have discovered already the SB Pro PE-manual, which gives you a taste of the differences with SB1:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/257/p13_fileid/1360 (111 pages)

But you might also flip through the German version of the manual, which offers more info with its 232 pages:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/257/p13_fileid/1344

All in all, as mentioned by the other posters, you will have no problem making the transfer from 1 to Pro PE.

Skybird's SB Resource page might also interest you:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=88893

Rgds, Koen

Mark,

if you know SB1, you will feel at home in SBP immediately. It is no new approach to all and everything, but evolutionary steps beyond SB1. The layout of the map screen is the same. Graphics are better, more vehicles to chose from. Plus mines, bridging, artillery.

You could install SBP and right jump into a mission and will be able to handle it immediately when doing things the way you do in SB1.

If you liked SB1, get SBP without remorse.

P.S. Be advised that the manuals linked by Koen are for a version of SBP that is no longer the actual one. 98% or more of the content is the same, but there are some changes in a few details in the latest version that are not documented in these old manuals.

You can import the scenarios as well.

Generally you want to clean the maps up first. Put the SB1 scenario in the appropriate folder and load it up in the Pro PE mission editor. Extract the map. Go to the map editor and at the very least, remove any ditches and place bridges where necessary. Then refresh the map in the mission editor.

Scoring works completely differently in Pro PE than how it did in SB1. If you care about scoring, you'll have to re-do that. It might be a good idea to check any logic functions (triggers, events, conditions, conditional routes, programmed arty strikes, etc.) to make sure they still work as expected.