A scoring problem

SeanPatrick

I'm having trouble scoring a mission I'm working on. Here's the situation...

Mission: To raid an Afghan city and extract a high ranking terrorist.

How I want it to be scored: All units: 100pts. (minus 1pt./% damage, max 100) + Target: 100pts. (minus 1pt./% damage, max 100) = 200 max points. However, I want there to be a penalty of 100pts. if the target is not in the extraction zone.

Max Scaled Score: 200

The labels are as follows: Major Victory >= 90%, Victory >= 50%, Major Defeat < 25%. So, a Maj. Victory should be: extract the target + 80% or more units survive. A victory should be: extract the target (at any cost) -OR- 100% units survive. Defeat: target not extracted + <100% units survive. Major Defeat: target not extracted + <50% units survive.

That last bit is the problem. If I condition the points for the target with an "Apply if...", the points are removed from the max possible score and a false Maj. Victory is awarded even if the target was not extracted. An event points condition which awards negative 100pts. "if unit [target] is not in area [extraction]" doesn't seem to work either. (Note: The unit to be extracted does not spawn until midway through the mission.) If I start the mission and immediately end it, or even if the target gets killed, I always achieve a Maj. Victory. Am I making this too complicated or is there a better way to go about it?

Thanks

Okay, I think I solved the problem like this: All units: 100pts. (minus 1pt./% damage, max 100) + Event "extract" true at mission end: 100 pts. = 200 max pts.

Labels: M.V. >= 90%, V. >= 55%, M.D. < 25%. But now victory requires extraction + >=10% unit survival.

I really wanted a victory if everyone made it home, but not if the target was still alive but not extracted.

If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know.

...And BTW, is there any way to get a bridge layer to do its thing automatically?

Edited by SeanPatrick

• Members
...And BTW, is there any way to get a bridge layer to do its thing automatically?

Yes, but only where it doesn't matter. :redface:

The problem is the range of the bridges - around 18...22m - while rivers are either 12.5m wide or 25m. Since 25m width (=two pixels width in the map editor) exceeds the bridge capacity, the vehicle won't deploy the bridge. That leaves single pixel water streams which however are typically shallow and small enough to be forded by the vehicles without additional help.

To test it, give the bridgelayer a breach route that starts a few meters before the embankment and which goes in a straight line across the river.

Clearly we need to improve things here (like so many other things).

The scoring thing ... I need to think a bit longer about it. I'm sure, it can be done. The basic idea is that you grant 100 points, and you have a 100 points penalty if the target that is supposed to be captured isn't there (the event "target in capture zone" is NOT true at mission end). That way you always get a 300 points max score.

I'm such an idiot. I was sitting there looking at the dds extension thinking "where have I seen that before?" Then I read your reply and remembered that I already downloaded a dds plugin for Photoshop to use with MS Flight Sim. Duh.

Anyway, I've gotten the scoring close to how I want it, but not perfect. I assigned 100pts. for the assault force, 100pts. if [target] is in [extraction], and 20 bonus pts. if [target]<1 members (apply if [extraction] is not true).

Max Scaled=200 Maj Vic=90% Vic=55% Maj Def=25%

This way the max attainable is 200 (or 220) and the logic is as follows:

Maj Vic= Target extracted+>80% survive

Vic= Target exctracted+10%-79% survive -or- Target killed+100% survive

Def= Target extracted+<10% survive -or- Escapes+ 50%-100% survive -or- Killed and 33%-99% survive

Maj Def= Target escapes+<50% survive -or- Killed+<1/3 survive

On a personal note (and seriously not wanting to offend any Romas), does anyone have a recipie for zigeuner schnitzel that includes pickles? It's for my mother. Seriously, she misses getting it at the Gasthaus outside of Bad Kreuznach.

Thanks!

Good news: the bridge layer works perfectly right where I need it. My mission is complete. I just want to run through it a couple more times to make sure everything works before I post it.

Maybe it's because I've played it so many times, but now it almost seems too easy. I tried to work in some randomness to give it some re-playability but... I don't know. Guess I'll just post it and wait for feedback.

Thanks for all the help. You guys are great, even though I know you're tired of my stupid questions. Hopefully it'll be worth it.

Hey, I want a cool name like "Ssnake." Maybe I'll change mine to "Revolver Ocelot." Ha ha... No really though, I think I'm gonna change mine to GrayFox if it isn't already taken. I love Metal Gear. Speaking of which, has anyone here played an old Xbox game called "Steel Battalion?" It's a mech game that came with this huge 40 button controller and foot pedals. Cost about as much as the Xbox itself. In game they refer to the mechs as "vertical tanks" or "VTs." Supposedly, the designer was going for a futuristic tank sim. It's kind of a neat game. Only thing I don't like about it is the lack of a 3rd person view. I want to SEE my mech wreaking havoc!