Anti-tank ditch

Toyguy

Never tried breaching anything different to minefields myself, but the manual says that

"minefields and steel beams can be breached by mine-clearing equipement such as the MICLIC and vehicles equipped with mine rollers or mine plows" (p.39),

but on that page also that

"MICLIC vehicles are not capable of clearing obstacles other than mines".

Maybe you just try it out with plows on steel beams.

On page 40 the manual also says that

"obstacles such as small streams and tank ditches can be bridged using a bridge layer vehicle".

Don't want to sound like a smartass, the reference to the manual I only give becasue I have never tried these options myself and thus cannot judge them from the sim. ;)

You would be surprised what you can bridge.

I have successfully bridged a 3 pixel Wadi with a single bridge, and can routinely bridge across a 3 pixel river (37.5m) using multiple bridging assets.

The stream profiles aren't correct, they should be more steep sided, but shallower, with a generally flat bottom, and width:depth of 8-10. This would require a similar degree of mesh enhancement as levelled roads, so this would probably only be possible under the same conditions. (time to implement/cost in LOS computations).

For completeness you cannot bridge over a minefield, steel beams or dragons teeth if they are laid in the ditch - they must be cleared (where possible) as usual first.

The smaller width wadis can be bridged. In the map editor, create a terrain theme, select "is wadi" and turn the drag all the way up and the traction all the way down. This will make it nearly impossible for a vehicle to enter and leave the wadi. The wadi would have to be bridged or bypassed.

Also if you line the bottom of the wadi with dragons teeth that will insure its not breachable. The problem is that there is a bug that prevents a vehicle from passing over the dragons teeth using a bridge.

Mog

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the 5 dollar question: How do you deploy WADI in the map editor?? (or mission editor?)? I have selected "is wadi" and whats the next step -if I put on water on the terrain, it is still water, not a dry riverbed...

Jeez I've been screwing around with this like 30 minutes now... I'm gonna end up at the angry mans thread ;)

Replace water tiles with Wadi by unchecking "is water", and checking "is wadi". You might need to tinker with textures if your original theme had a 'faked blue' for the river bottom (Revinghed uses this texture set by default, and will look very odd without 'water' in it...)

A sand/rock/earth/lake-bed/marsh texture should look ok as-is, but could be improved a little...

If you want both rivers and wadi, then you must use two of your theme types and keep them a long way apart... Otherwise the river partially fills the wadi in a not very convincing way. The minimum is a bit less, but I'd suggest no closer than 300m for totally reliable use of both water and dry river beds.

Replace water tiles with Wadi by unchecking "is water", and checking "is wadi". You might need to tinker with textures if your original theme had a 'faked blue' for the river bottom (Revinghed uses this texture set by default, and will look very odd without 'water' in it...)

Thanks, I did as you suggested, but I still can't get it to work. First I left "is water" check on, then selected a different texture for the water, then unticked "is water" and enabled "is wadi", went back to mission editor and put on water on the map. If I go to 3D view I see river, and water, but no sign of the wadi.

EDIT: finally managed to do it! My problem was that I didnt select "water" as ground clutter type in thew first place when I edited the theme.