CV90 Frustration(add grain of salt)

112TYR

Well, I've converted to the CV9030 for a couple of months now because of an upcoming mission, and being used to the Leos tracks the question strikes me: What the hell were the engineers thinking when they designed the tracks of the CV90?

- The "protective sylinder" around the bolt holding the links together is frequently dented in off-road driving, which means that the bolt is now unretrievable, since no tool fits inside the dented cylindre. Which means two links have to be replaced for one dented bolt....(Such damaged bolts are marked with red spray paint, and I've seen CVs with as many red bolts as they had normal-coloured ones...:P)

- Why would you attach track pads to the track with bolts and nuts? Once you add snow and ice, installing grousers becomes a living hell! (Our choice of fastening them with UMBRACO BOLTS(!!!) didn't really make this any better :D)

Am I just spoiled with the excellent tracks of the Leo1&2, or are the tracks of the CV90(at least the ones you gave to us) not that good...?

Maybe your tracks are of an older type without the proper hardening?

We have that problem as well but I don't think it is too bad. I was told it used to be worse.

A couple of the prototypes were fitted with the tracks of the same principle as the Leos, but they were to expensive.

Could be. You hardened the cylinder encasing the track bolts?

Also, I think our grousers are of norwegian design. The umbraco-solution is really crappy, but I can't imagine you're having much fun either when you need to take out the grousers, even if you do use different bolts.

Strange how the leo-tracks should be more expensive. (Did they consider support rollers as well?) Aren't the Marders tracks basically a scaled-down version of the leo-tracks, only with the sprocket in front...?

I think they tried out a lot of different alloys/whatever to develop tracks that work reasonably well.

We don't even use grousers, we just remove all the pads when there's snow. In the spring we put them back on.

:heartpum:

Ah....great. Due to our icy conditions, we need to add grousers every morning before going anywhere, and because the grousers will tear up the concrete in the garage, we need to have them out once we're done for the day. Easily 2 hours of grouser work for every day of training.....

I suppose leaving them outside isn't an option?

No....leaving modern AFVs outside in extreme cold over an extended period of time is generally not the best idea, besides, with the amount of snow we're getting here, the time we'd save on grousers, we'd spend on shovelling snow.

It's not a major problem anyway, just a pain in the ass.