Bridge crossing

Panta

Since I began playing, crossing bridges has been a sort of nightmare for me, it is very hard not to lose a vehicle here and there.

When I started designing scenarios the nightmare turned Freddy-like.

What is the safest way for a unit to cross a bridge (other than driving the vehicles yourself)?

I asume that COLUMN formation SLOW speed and NORMAL or WIDE distance would do but, is there any other thing to take into account? :confused:

Cheers,

Panta

Anchor way points on the road immediately before and after the bridge using Shift-click.

Avoid changing formation or halting too soon after the bridge, as the trailing elements may not have cleared it. Consider breaking a platoon into two sections, and crossing by section.

I find that close formation and high speed minimises duration of risk (I avoid top, as the road may not be followed accurately if changes in direction are needed). Fast, tight section formations clear the bridge faster than full platoons at wide spacing...

Avoid crossing bridges under fire - the vehicles can manoeuvre off the bridge looking for hull-down positions (they are over a depression after all). Use smoke to obscure the crossing from direct fires and observation if you can't clear the defences first. Against TIM equipped units an HE barrage offers moderate (short-term) obscuration from dust/debris.

Breach might be the most suitable route type for congested routes, including bridges where staying on the route is of primary importance... Unfortunately breach, bridges and mine clearing plows/rollers aren't very compatible.

It is also much better for breaching the defended region of the wooded route in Blind Elephants for example, than the other route types, as the unit stays together and on the road, yet returns fire against the enemies as they are detected. (A similar 'remain on route' logic can also be forced by issuing hold-fire orders, but this leaves the unit exposed to more fire as there is no suppressive fire).

Yes, all that works fine while I am in command of the platoon, but my troubles begin whilst scripting the AI movement. Despite all my efforts, there is always one or more vehicles that go the wrong way. Sometimes it is because they become loose from their platoons and begin behaving wildly.

I decided to quit designing scenarios where the AI has to negotiate bridges whatsoever, too much work for too much uncertainty...:(

• Members

Maybe you should use the LOS tool to determine the area from which your units can be seen during the approach and crossing of the bridge. Create a region that covers this zone of all possible observation positions that have a line of sight to the bridge. Then use the embark condition to go across that ridge only if no known enemy is in that region. That way you could at least ensure that units will cross bridges only if they are uncontested.

Well, perhaps removing the bridges or filling the surrounding area with normal terrain is some sort of overkill.

For what Ssnake said, it is evident to me that some of the problems I have with bridge crossing are more related to my relative ignorance of how the AI behaves. I got a similar problem with the small circle in the tactics graphics, but after some kind gents explained me patiently how the stuff works, it became a much useful tool for me since. :debile2:

• Members

If you could do me a favor and write up all the points that get you stumped or frustrated, and how it was solved by someone explaining it to you, maybe we can use that as a checklist for a future manual revision that sheds more light on these things?