Virtual School

Yskonyn

I personally would like to see some professional VIDEO demonstrations & tutorials... ;) - we have the technology & multimedia available so why not use it? Ofcourse this could be coupled with PDF & further types of written documentation / presentation. But it would would be a definite plus if something like this would be included / integrated into lets say SB2 when it comes out...

As a new SB player I agree with you. I'm currently liking the beachAV8R threads a lot, because seeing it from someone else's POV helps a lot (and it got me back playing SB again, after a couple of weeks not touching the game). It would be nice if more VU's would make video AAR's like ARRC did (although they now all seem to be deleted on youtube...), because A, they make new players interested in MP play, and B, they make new players interested in joining your VU's gamenight some time.

And btw, off-topic people, putting all this whining and complaining in a thread that baits new/n00b SB players is probably not the smartest thing...

As a new SB player I agree with you. I'm currently liking the beachAV8R threads a lot, because seeing it from someone else's POV helps a lot (and it got me back playing SB again, after a couple of weeks not touching the game). It would be nice if more VU's would make video AAR's like ARRC did (although they now all seem to be deleted on youtube...), because A, they make new players interested in MP play, and B, they make new players interested in joining your VU's gamenight some time.

And btw, off-topic people, putting all this whining and complaining in a thread that baits new/n00b SB players is probably not the smartest thing...

there are good and interesting vids on Youtube. i had some, will record and put one up with permission from folks who do Multi player battles.

In fact Daskal had some vids up, he is a accomplished video editor, he goes by the name Kempet on youtube look him up.

The suggestion about video's coupled with paper (PDF or Wiki) material would be a nice middle road, wouldn't it.

People would download the video, watch it, then download the scenario to practise along with the written material to elaborate.

You could make a dedicated forum section for those 'lessons' where people can ask for help if they get stuck or want to know something.

This way all info is present whenever one needs is. Is interactive in the sense that it brings a whole package from video to gameplay to reading.

And people can get in contact with 'instructors' on the forums.

You do not need to have dedicated evenings for a setup like this, everyone's on the forums already anyway.

Of course a lot of info is already available in terms of manuals and the like, but many people learn much quicker and better while doing procedures rather than reading them. That's why this 'complete package' issue is important in my view.

The suggestion about video's coupled with paper (PDF or Wiki) material would be a nice middle road, wouldn't it.

People would download the video, watch it, then download the scenario to practise along with the written material to elaborate.

I have precisely what you are describing available here:

http://www.1stusvcav.com/Techniques/Shoot/M2_engage_mover.html

This is a multi-media presentation on how to engage moving targets from the Bradley. I felt that the presentation in the official tutorials could be improved by including a brief video file and screenshots.

I reckon it's been about two years since I put that page up. I mention my website occasionally here in the forums. The link is in my signature. I've linked to the site in this thread once already. And while I do, on occasion, get very much appreciated comments regarding my website in general (most recently when BeachAV8R used a scenario from my article on land navigation in his SB game review thread), never once have I gotten any specific feedback regarding that page.

Here's the link to SB Wiki page that Volcano wrote on the M1: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/M1A1_%28HA%29

The information looks rather complete for its intended purpose (although I've got a short page at my site regarding estimating range using the M1 reticle that includes a practice scenario and that complements Volcano's wiki entry nicely, IMO), and there aren't many community members that know more about the SB M1 modelling than Volcano. But, I'd be willing to bet that Volcano has gotten as much direct feedback on that page as I've gotten on my stuff.

Now, would it be an out-f*cking-standing thing to be able to use HTML in SB scenario briefings? Hellyes. Is that on the list already? Smart money says: "Probably." But bouncy roadwheels are on the list too.

Okay now we get to the real questions:

Who is going to make the video that is actually going to be watched? And, will it teach anything constructive?

Edited by GaryOwen

Who is going to make the video that is actually going to be watched? And, will it teach anything constructive?

I think this is pretty much possible. We did this with eSims in the past and I think it worked out (although the video was not released to the public - so I guess you haven't seen it ;) ) - but I could imagine doing something like that together with SB community members from here. All I need is somebody doing some narration / giving the actual lecture & instuction vocally, and I would shoot and edit the video footage for it - it's that simple.

Also some of the training scenarios are well thought out but lack in other major areas. example - a training scenario by them aims to teach Gunnery and TC coordination. However they removed all the HEAT rounds as "they never seem to hit moving targets from a distance." they said that

I sort of missed this comment earlier on, but like to voice an opinion on this as "they" is ME in this case, and it relates to my first TC & Gunner qualification sce I made that we used internally in the VU to get the hang of BASIC gunnery.

The inital sce was tailored specifically for the M1's need, but I had to later amend it to include a Leopardo2E on the range as well. Long story short: the 3rd section of the range includes engagement against fast moving PC's from a static postition - enemy is approaching from a distance over 2k, changing directions like every 5-10 seconds. Now since the main scoring was based on accuracy & speed this section was "unfair" to the Leo guys. (with the M1 you can get them without any trouble) Like it or not you'll probably not hit a fast moving zig-zagging target over 2k with the Leo using HEAT rounds since the trajectory of that round is that high. Unfortunatley the sce was heavily randomized, which at the end made the chain of autotriggering events very complex - I just didn't wanted to mess things up accidentaly and then fixing it for 2 more weeks... hence I made the managerial decision of removing HEAT rounds completely from the sce. Not the best solution, but it fullfilled it's purpose: because I wasn't about to make a 100% true to life excersice, but rather a rookie-trainee sce which focuses on BASIC gunnery skills.

Plus this is an internal sce and we use it as warm-up trainings mainly. I have uploaded it to SB.com because I know there are few people around here who are interested in it, and want to give it a shot, but I never claimed this to be the best available gunnery training out there.

I'm really dissapointed, because I remember it was You and Me sitting in one of the runs of the sce where I explained the same to you & why I have removed the HEAT rounds, and now you come up with assumptions like this.

I think I have managed to improve eversince and when I made the "TTVIII - custom variant" - I tried to emphasise and implement RL elements as much as it is possible.

Sorry for stirring up cr@p again, but as the author of the above mention sce I felt I had to set things straight.

I sort of missed this comment earlier on, but like to voice an opinion on this as "they" is ME in this case, and it relates to my first TC & Gunner qualification sce I made that we used internally in the VU to get the hang of BASIC gunnery.

The inital sce was tailored specifically for the M1's need, but I had to later amend it to include a Leopardo2E on the range as well. Long story short: the 3rd section of the range includes engagement against fast moving PC's from a static postition - enemy is approaching from a distance over 2k, changing directions like every 5-10 seconds. Now since the main scoring was based on accuracy & speed this section was "unfair" to the Leo guys. (with the M1 you can get them without any trouble) Like it or not you'll probably not hit a fast moving zig-zagging target over 2k with the Leo using HEAT rounds since the trajectory of that round is that high. Unfortunatley the sce was heavily randomized, which at the end made the chain of autotriggering events very complex - I just didn't wanted to mess things up accidentaly and then fixing it for 2 more weeks... hence I made the managerial decision of removing HEAT rounds completely from the sce. Not the best solution, but it fullfilled it's purpose: because I wasn't about to make a 100% true to life excersice, but rather a rookie-trainee sce which focuses on BASIC gunnery skills.

Plus this is an internal sce and we use it as warm-up trainings mainly. I have uploaded it to SB.com because I know there are few people around here who are interested in it, and want to give it a shot, but I never claimed this to be the best available gunnery training out there.

I'm really dissapointed, because I remember it was You and Me sitting in one of the runs of the sce where I explained the same to you & why I have removed the HEAT rounds, and now you come up with assumptions like this.

I think I have managed to improve eversince and when I made the "TTVIII - custom variant" - I tried to emphasise and implement RL elements as much as it is possible.

Sorry for stirring up cr@p again, but as the author of the above mention sce I felt I had to set things straight.

not crap. your not strring up anything. it is a good scenario. but its my personal opinion that with enough training people can learn to shoot with HEAT rounds at up to 2000m on moving targets. non of this should be taken personally and should be seen as constructive criticism , and finally its up to you if you want to accept the criticism and change it or not. irrespective of what people say , its still your scenario. so if you feel its right then its right for you.

also you said it messes up scoring ? did you just make it for scoring ? isn't training scenarios there to teach you to fight . look at it this way Daskal , You are not gonna play H2H games with anyone where you only have sabot rounds and nothing else. so training should be provided to help a new player to shoot with all kinds of ammo and not just one. Just think about it.

not crap. your not strring up anything. it is a good scenario. but its my personal opinion that with enough training people can learn to shoot with HEAT rounds at up to 2000m on moving targets. non of this should be taken personally and should be seen as constructive criticism , and finally its up to you if you want to accept the criticism and change it or not. irrespective of what people say , its still your scenario. so if you feel its right then its right for you.

also you said it messes up scoring ? did you just make it for scoring ? isn't training scenarios there to teach you to fight . look at it this way Daskal , You are not gonna play H2H games with anyone where you only have sabot rounds and nothing else. so training should be provided to help a new player to shoot with all kinds of ammo and not just one. Just think about it.

Constructive critisism is the most important think I agree - but you should point it at me. And yes trainees need to learn to shoot with all ammo type, but unfortunately I wasn't thinking about the Leo when I made that particular sce and it was too late to change.

Give the custom TTVIII as try and let me know what you think of that (be sure to read the briefing properly):

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/24/p13_fileid/1768

Constructive critisism is the most important think I agree - but you should point it at me. And yes trainees need to learn to shoot with all ammo type, but unfortunately I wasn't thinking about the Leo when I made that particular sce and it was too late to change.

Give the custom TTVIII as try and let me know what you think of that (be sure to read the briefing properly):

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/24/p13_fileid/1768

i sure will , thank you.