What SB has taught me

ShotMagnet

Namely, that I suck major ass at being a tanker.

But also:

That I do pretty good at beating up infantry with a .50 cal, or a co-ax, or the Bushmaster;

That I am death on rye toast to a company of mech infantry;

That I'm a good scout;

That I can design and administrate a fun campaign;

That I can make a decent scenario;

That there is more to tanking than tanks.

Anyone else?

Shot

• Members

SB has taught me patience. And the value of persistence. And to be more relaxed about not always having a clear plan for your life, just roll with it, because luck (or fate, if you believe in it) has a much greater say in our lives than we may believe (or like). That being passionate about a thing is extremely helpful if channeled by methodical work and thinking, but can be an obstacle if one cannot set priorities in the context of the big picture.

Lessons from SB:

* "Think fast ! Act fast" Don't stop, take the initiative !

* Making scenario's can be great fun - and painful, when perfectionism kills creativity ...

* Al's & Nils'es example of making something with a lot of passion, is inciting, yes it is.

Rgds, Koen

MP games...helps to keep (mil)language and and tactical mindset in check.

This gives you an edge over other reservist when it comes to lead a platoon of Fuchs APC through the exams course at the UN-training center :-P

It does not (however) help you to remeber how to operate the radiosystem under stress ;-)

(Just say "driver...forward march..." while still on the platoon circuit, makes everyone giggle exept you)

- How to gun the 25mm in the Coyote. OK, not the mechanics of powering up the turret, loading the ammo, cycling the ghost round, etc - but once I was in the gunsight and had my hand on the palm switch... booyah!

- How to crew command through forests. Crashing through the woods in a T-LAV doing 25 km/h, smashing down trees like they were matchsticks - and I'm thinking "Huh, this looks like Steel Beasts"

- The importance of maintaining battlefield-level situational awareness, especially if you are 9 or 99. 99 just CAN'T get sucked into gunning a tank; not when the Red Hordes are pressing. Somebody has to keep an eye on the big picture and see that the gaps get filled.

- That computer-based training, while it flat out cannot replace the real thing, can most definitely augment it. And unlike the real thing, can happen in a hotel room, or on a late-night watch shift, or when the VOR rate is too high or the budget shot.

DG