Counterstroke: The Campaign

ShotMagnet

Those of you who were around a couple of years ago will remember when we did First Clash, a campaign which set Canadians of the 4th Mechanized Brigade Group against attacking Russians from the 1st Guards Tank Division.

It seemed to go well, and a couple of people have asked me about doing the sequel to First Clash, called Counterstroke. I talked to 12Alfa, who cobbled together a map. In the meantime I've done up some rules, and now we're ready to roll.

GaryOwen has volunteered to command the NATO side, and 9erRed will reprise his roll as the Soviet commander.

I'll be creating threads in this forum momentarily for NATO and the Soviets. Interested players may sign up on those threads.

Something I mentioned to GaryOwen while ginning up the NATO OB was something that 12Alfa passed on to me, which was the idea that a couple of VUs might take charge, remaining subordinate to GO, certain NATO units in the OB. I liked the idea, and when I did the NATO OB, I included a panzergrenadier battalion which I named (not surprisingly) 511.PzgrBtln. There's a Danish unit, the 4th CMBG (the Canadians from First Clash) will reappear (this time with Leo2A4s), and there's a cav unit that I'm hoping 1stUSVC will see fit to man.

Tentatively, we'll be doing the first scenario on Feb 16th. See you then.

Shot

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beta, at the moment. You'll have plenty of time to install yours, this isn't set to start until 16 Feb, and may be pushed back.

I'm looking at Saturday, also at the moment. I realize that this is when 1stCav has practice, but CS isn't going to happen every week; it'll be every two, at best. I intend to chat with GO about this, especially since he's commanding NATO.

CS could happen on Sunday, if Mohammed will not come to the mountain, and if enough players are willing. No times set yet, though I was looking for something in the 1700-2000 (PDST) range.

Shot

The rosters so far:

NATO

GaryOwen- CO

TacBat

tankenator

Apocalypse 31

mazer

12Alfa

Eisenschwein

Tankhunter

bmzscully

334th GTD

9erRed- CO

PS-SCUD

ShotMagnet

Interested in playing for WP, but haven't signed up yet:

Dealer31

Black6

That's it so far. Have I missed anyone?

Players interested in playing for either side should talk to either myself or GaryOwen regarding getting permission on his site for access to the applicable Counterstroke threads. The first step is to sign up on his site, which is located here.

Shot

I should take now to point out that both commanders retain final say about who will or will not be playing for their respective teams.

I haven't told them whom not to pick, that's been left up to them. I have told them about some folks who might be interested in playing, for either team; the matter of whom they elect to include remains, however with them.

If you volunteer for a team, and are not asked to play by that commander, I may if asked address the issue with the appropriate individual(s), but I will not overrule their respective decisions. If they say you can play, fine. If they say that you can't, and they remain adamant after I've talked to them (presuming I find a compelling reason to talk to them), then there the matter will lie.

Shot

Great, two more for the Godless horde. I'll add you both to the roster.

If you need any more help with ORBATs or Soviet operational art just let me know.
9erRed would be the man to see about that, as he's doing the actual commanding. I have that stuff you sent me a couple of weeks ago, I'll ask if he needs it and I'll also mention your offer of assistance.

Shot

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd show you a bit of the new Counterstroke map. 12Alfa did the real work, getting the shape files and height map together. I'm now dotting the terrain with building and trees, so we can blow it up.

Unless there are strenuous objections, Counterstroke will be run using the beta (.370) version of SBProPE.

Shot

56e83c66366f9_Theyhavenoideaofwhatsabout

56e83c66366f9_Theyhavenoideaofwhatsabout

For those of you who may yet be unaware, GaryOwen has set up on his site a brace of Counterstroke fora. Register with the site and you will be assigned to the appropriate forum.

Strategies, tips, ShotMagnet's favorite color, etc. are (presumably) topics for discussion. The 334th GTD (labeled as GSFG) forum will shortly feature a lengthy screed by none other than Shotskiy Magnetovka on how to use non-crewable vehicles (specifically Soviet vehicles) in a mission.

News particular to each team will also be posted, and since the respective fora are private there's no justifiable concern about arcane secrets leaking from one side to the other.

If you haven't registered, now's the time to do so. Be sure to include a reminder of which team you're playing for. The commanders and myself will check anyway, but we're still human.

Shot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow's game is hereby delayed two weeks, owing to the hosting issues and a few other reasons.

The next game will be played on 29 Mar 08 at either 1800 PST (0200 GMT) if Cutter hosts, or 1900 PST (0300 GMT) if Sean hosts.

I started another thread about this but I see no reason not to mention it here as well; if a third person is ready, willing and able to host a game that will have more than 8 players, please feel free to either PM or e-mail me, and let me know as well what time(s) might be best-suited to your hosting efforts.

I never had this problem with First Clash; I shouldn't be surprised, I spent a lot of time and effort building into the rules a mechanism by which the game could be played if we were limited to 8 players. It never needed to be used.

Murphy, hard at work, as usual.

Shot

• 2 weeks later...

As a reminder, Counterstroke is going to happen this weekend, Saturday 29 Mar 08 at 1900 PST (0300 Sunday 30 Mar 08 GMT).

The timing is contingent on whether or not Sean can host. If he can't, I'll tap Cutter and the time will change to 1800 PST, same date (0200 GMT, same date).

As soon as I know who will host, I'll let you know.

Shot

Shot, we also have "The Long Night of Tanks" on Saturday too. Not sure if there will be a conflict in the timings??? I think it should be OK as CS is later on in the night.

Long night of the tanks is here by called "Long DAY of tanks"

Long live FC!!!:biggrin:

And I'm off this weekend woooo whooo

CS is timed to start at either 1800 or 1900, depending on who will be hosting. What time does LNoT start?

TB and I spoke yesterday on TS, he seemed to believe that there wouldn't be a scheduling conflict but if there is let me know and we'll see about negotiating times.

Sean, will you be able to host? If not, Cutter, will you be able to host?

Shot

CS is supposed to start at either 1800 or 1900 PST (0200 or 0300 GMT) depending on who can host. That should leave plenty of space for LNoT.

Chaplain has offered up his services with regard to hosting, bringing to 3 the total number of potential hosts for CS.

Shot