Designated Penalty Zones

Tango29

Hi,

I'm playing with a scenario that has a specified deployment zone for each side. I want to allow one vehicle from each side (High Value Target) to be deployed in that sides' zone. Then comes the fun part: when we go into run, I want the friendly side to be barred from entering their zone, but I want the enemy side to have full access. So, Blue can't get into their zone, but Red can. The intent is for each side to try to destroy the High Value Target in their opponent's zone, but neither side can enter their own zone: they must defend it from outside the designated boundary. Got you confused yet??:) BTW, the HVT can't be destroyed by indirect fire: you gotta get a direct shot at it!

I've got the bsics in place, but I cannot find any way of designating who can and who can't enter a DZ. However, I think that I can do it using Control Logic. All I need from someone here is a "Yes" or a "No" to the CL concept, and I'll try to take it from there. TIA for any help!

Thanks, Tac and Shot,

I got a good brief from Tacbat, tried it out, and it worked. :drink:

Now I'm trying to determine how to penalize a side for firing arty into a given area. However, with my slowing dawning light over Control Logic, I think that I'm headed in the "sort of" right direction. Let me bumble around a bit and see what I come up with. :casstet: Might learn a thing or three, and save someone time that should be spent on more pressing matters.

Thx Again!

Tango, I think that there's an SB wiki something on this. Might want to check it out.

Failing that, PM me for a copy of my control-logic article. And have a chat with Gary Owen. He knows more than I do. Plus, he's a barrister. Barristers know all about control-logic, and how to play with it.

Shot

Regarding your notion of penalizing arty fired into a particular zone; you can't penalize the strike all by itself, to my knowledge. A unit would have to be in the zone, and would either have to be attacked by the strike or be able to see the strike.

I don't remember which at the moment as SB is currently not installed on my PC (malware attack, can't find my CD). Going from memory though, as I recall the strike would have to affect a unit; units are by and large the currency for control-logic activation, at least in this regard.

Shot

The best that I can come up with off the top is to hide a blind medic in the area in question and have an event that's true if the blind medic takes indirect fire. You can reference the event in the scoring formula. (You want it to be a medic so that it wont draw AI fire and you want it blind so that it wont report contacts.)

I'm looking at a simple way of doing this: you know, the "KISS" rule!

Let's take BLUE. They are shown the region in which the HVT is located, and area +- two square kilometers in size. They are told that the HVT is somewhere in that area, and that, if it is ever engaged by BLUE indirect fire, BLUE loses immediately. The event that will cause the loss is, of course, indirect fire on the HVT. The HVT is a vehicle that has no fuel and no ammunition and no crew. It is placed in a vehicle emplacement by CO RED somewhere in the region, and there it stays, no need for any other icon. BLUE ought not to engage with indirect fire into the region because of the possibility of losing outright if the HVT is struck.

Now, how to translate this flash of the blindingly obvious into CL!! :casstet: :Crash:

Set a red event with the parameter:

Unit [HVT] is engaged with [indirect] fire.

You can use that event in the time limit options as an end game condition or you can reference it in the scoring formula by assigning it a negative value that wipes out the blue mission score. (BTW, red events and conditions can be referenced as parameters in blue logic operations and vice versa, if that helps.)