So whats on the horizon?

oscar19681

• 2 weeks later...

SSnake

I do not want to sound unhelpful, or indeed unrealistic, but what are the chances that we can get some now scenery objects into this sim. I love it, I really do, but it lacks something that many of the flight sims do so well, eye candy. I find the current scenery so bland, so repetative, so boring. All it needs is a few more building shapes with one or two skin options, something to make the battle area look like real life. A few more square objects, a a few more small round objects , anything to break up the endless cycle of trees and shrubs. Give me more options please.

I have raised this before I know, but we could make this the best EVER sim if we could just make the scenery look like a real battlefield.

Make me a happy bunny, do something new !

• 3 weeks later...
How about having the turret rotation speed slowed down by half or more in deep forest.

wouldn't work. if the AI drives into the forest with the gun tube over the side, when it drove into the forest, the slow rotation speed would hinder it from rotating the turret into the forward/ position.

• Moderators
Aw, crap.

If this was implemented, all the sodding vehicles would come away with turret/hydraulics/maingun damage every bloody time they even thought about driving past a tree.

The AI isn't all there you know.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Actually, no. If you notice, when the AI drives into a forest, the AI gunner will release the palm switches and leave the gun over the front. So, in many respects, it is already behaving that maingun damage can occur when then gun hits a tree. It would be more correct to say that it is the humans that aren't all there, they switch the gun back to normal mode and start scanning around in a forest, which of course could and probably should be punished.

I agree that more variety in the landscape would be desirable. We shall see what we can do for the next update...

If there a couple things that could add the most impact for a given level of effort, I suggest the following:

1. Fencelines and simple overhead power lines, drawn as a linear objects like roads are.

2. Adding junk to the perimeters of buildings. Copy off the existing set of buildings and make a second set that has junk around them - boxes, old cars, garbage cans, etc. Right now, it looks like SB's maps have a very restrictive homeowner's association, they are so nice and tidy.

3. Create craters on the map wherever a heavy shell lands. I realize this may be hard, so maybe just add a crater image and/or scorch mark image at the site instead. Right now, an artillery strike or main gun shell has no impact on the ground, so everything is still so nice and pristine after a fire fight.

• 2 weeks later...

im currently designing a sce. with alot of obstacles used as a perimiter defensive belt,i was wondering if it will be poss. in the future to click on say..dragons teeth and scroll down to multiply by 10,15,25,35....ect.to make things easier.or to be able to stretch certain obstcls. out as needed.has this been brought up yet?

• Members

Yeah... it certainly is on The List. But then again, point obstacles are named for that very reason. You wouldn't see huge belts of dragon teeth in reality. They are quite labor and time intensive to set up and therefore impractical for pretty much any tactical situation unless it is a natural choke point.

• 2 weeks later...

My list:

Waiting patiently for expanding the rendered view distance out a couple of kilometers or more- would probably seriously create major technical challenges and create profound changes to computer behavior and spotting rules.

Adding older Cold War models: T-62, T-55, M60. Add those, and you could construct scenarios for probably the most neglected, but most important real world lessons learned of the Arab-Israeli conflicts.

Listy things:

* Repair the broken Defend-tactic at BP's:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=13865

* Mission editor: in the events/conditions make scroll down screens available to select e.g. the various units that can appear in them. Would be much less time-consuming and tiring way then having to click on each & every unit, as needs to be done now.

* Mission editor: make it possible to copy regions that indicate artillery-targets = a much quicker way for scenario-designers to create preplanned arty.

* Planningphase: What about making Red's obstacles, bunkers and especially emplacements, invisible during the planningphase (unless the sce.designer decides otherwise), when examining the terrain in 3D.

It's such a giveaway, to see immediately all or many of Red positions :

That's the job of the UAV (if the sce.designer added one), not the function of the planningphase where 3D is a way to compensate for the limitations of a computergame versus being in the field ?

* In game: make it possible to cycle backward through units, and not just forward (ALT + F10).

* In game: make it possible to cycle forward/backward just through vehicles, so while excluding infantry-units = win time.

* In game: Make veh. emplacments, obstacles, bunkers, ... spawnable.

So you could simulate engineers creating them somewhere in the rear.

Which may mean that you have to delay OPFOR long enough, in order for the ENG to build those defensive positions ...

IMHO, could increase immersion & add a new tactical dimension to SB.

* M109 !

One can dream, no ?

Anyway SB as it is now, is already a beauty (except maybe for the defend-tactics-thingy)

Rgds, Koen