The Red Leopard

tarball

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to jog elbows, but I've been considering a couple of the RL rules and I thought I'd post my thoughts for consideration/comment.

It’s probably too late to address this point for RL, which is all right, but I thought that I’d bring it up for future consideration. The RL rules state, in part, “BLUE will lose any units which are on the wrong side of the front line at the end of play (where the ball is down). Some leeway will be given to BLUE at the game master's discretion.”

It seems to me that BLUE should not automatically “lose any units which are on the wrong side of the front line at the end of play,” leeway given or otherwise. These forces own vehicles, ammunition, weapons, fuel, eyeballs, brains and radios, and they can have a real and adverse impact on their enemies. The key threat to RED is that they can engage and destroy reinforcements, supply elements and support vehicles by both direct and indirect fire. This is an extremely important point, given the RL rule that states, “ Support units will NOT be reinforced on any schedule for both BLUE and RED.” As simple layback forces they can identify enemy deployments and movements, key elements of intelligence. This combined threat then forces RED to defend their lines of communication (a real problem in the real world), thus draining forces from their front line units and weakening their forward movement, all of which bolsters the BLUE effort. Indeed, this aspect of defensive operations may be a key part of the defender’s concept of operations, much as the German Long Range Recce Patrols were (and probably still are).

As the campaign will run for seven iterations, each being approximately 70 minutes duration and each following on directly from that preceding it, resupply should not be a major issue for bypassed units. With a total game time of one to two days, the first line fuel, rations, water and ammunition (the "combat supplies") normally carried would be quite sufficient to sustain bypassed units for the duration of the campaign.

To write off totally serviceable weapons, vehicles and personnel immediately, just because they are on the wrong side of a line, seems not quite right.

Don't get me wrong: RL is, IMHO, a first rate campaign, and I'm quuite prepared to playunder the current rules. Perhaps this idea, if found acceptable, can be used in future campaigns.

Well, these rules make sense in the way that's quiete hard to hide, not to speak of move; mechanized assets behind enemy lines.

The stated German long range reccon or the combat type "Jagdkampf"(don't find a propper translation for that) are conducted by DISMOUNTED troops or light infantry.

And for good reason!

Besides: any operations behind enemy lines has to be planned and prepared.

For Jagdkampf there are preplanned and prepared hide-outs and supply casches.

When a veh. crew gets cut of training says: put an termite charge into the breach...a few handgrenades into the turret and enginecompartment...and then try to reach the own side of the FEBA (on foot and as fast as you can).

Hey TrackPad,

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. I see the validity in your comments. My motivation with these rules was to look for simplification. There are many departures from "reality" included for the sake of simplicity in campaign management. For instance, the rule which states that average position of RED COs establishes the new FEBA is also quite unrealistic. If you look at where forces left off last week, you'll see that RED gained more ground than this week's front line would suggest - however, since RED didn't move its COs forward aggressively enough, we have a near-stagnant front line (albeit one that has reoriented to the SW).

I do think the purpose of these rules was to seek simplicity where it can be found. In the end, this is just a framework to get a campaign going. I think it is a great idea to extend this or other campaign ideas going forward.

Not to jog elbows, but I've been considering a couple of the RL rules and I thought I'd post my thoughts for consideration/comment.

It’s probably too late to address this point for RL, which is all right, but I thought that I’d bring it up for future consideration. The RL rules state, in part, “BLUE will lose any units which are on the wrong side of the front line at the end of play (where the ball is down). Some leeway will be given to BLUE at the game master's discretion.”

It seems to me that BLUE should not automatically “lose any units which are on the wrong side of the front line at the end of play,” leeway given or otherwise. These forces own vehicles, ammunition, weapons, fuel, eyeballs, brains and radios, and they can have a real and adverse impact on their enemies. The key threat to RED is that they can engage and destroy reinforcements, supply elements and support vehicles by both direct and indirect fire. This is an extremely important point, given the RL rule that states, “ Support units will NOT be reinforced on any schedule for both BLUE and RED.” As simple layback forces they can identify enemy deployments and movements, key elements of intelligence. This combined threat then forces RED to defend their lines of communication (a real problem in the real world), thus draining forces from their front line units and weakening their forward movement, all of which bolsters the BLUE effort. Indeed, this aspect of defensive operations may be a key part of the defender’s concept of operations, much as the German Long Range Recce Patrols were (and probably still are).

As the campaign will run for seven iterations, each being approximately 70 minutes duration and each following on directly from that preceding it, resupply should not be a major issue for bypassed units. With a total game time of one to two days, the first line fuel, rations, water and ammunition (the "combat supplies") normally carried would be quite sufficient to sustain bypassed units for the duration of the campaign.

To write off totally serviceable weapons, vehicles and personnel immediately, just because they are on the wrong side of a line, seems not quite right.

Don't get me wrong: RL is, IMHO, a first rate campaign, and I'm quuite prepared to playunder the current rules. Perhaps this idea, if found acceptable, can be used in future campaigns.

Hi,Tarball, Tacbat and Grenny,

Yes, all good thoughts and comments: thanks very much! As noted, I'm just tossing out the ideas in case they're useful. The "campaign concept" is super, and RL is following right along on the success of VARIABLE. If not before, I'll see you all tomorrow night! :):)