The Red Leopard

tarball

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is Gary wearing the helmet when he plays? Make it a requirement, if he isn't.

Shotkiy

You know, I'll bet the absence of GO's chapeau directly correlates to RED's initial fortuntes. I will ensure that GO's dome is covered with said hat forthwith.

Google Earth SA

Here is an update to the KML file which shows:

• The overall boundary of the campaign
  • The battlefield boudaries of the missions so far (1, 2 and 3)

[ATTACH]7738[/ATTACH]

Thanks again to mantueffel, who has continued to provide updates to his outstanding Hannover map.

Good luck to all combatants this week.

Red Leopard Overview.zip

Well, that happens when you try to push tanks through infantry land.

I had to wait to respond to this. I feel responsible for the huge loss down south. And while I agree that ideally one shouldn't try to move a battalion of tanks single file through the woods, it wasn't really the infantry that caused most of the carnage, it was the blue tanks. Without thermals in the LeoAS1's, I was unable to see any targets at all. While being tank sniped, all I could do, if even that, was to fire back at weapons' signature smoke obscured in the trees. I got fixated trying to take out just a tank or two. I felt like Xerxes at Thermopylae. But, remember that lopsided though those casualties were, Leonidas fell as a reminder to passersby and never did return to Sparta ---- not even atop his own shield.

So fortunately, having broken out of the woods, we needn't worry about that anymore. But I will admit that I personally should have done a better job in the south last time and not have lost so many tanks. I gave you the opportunity to seriously attrit our tanks. You took advantage of the opportunity, to your credit, but now that we're in the open, it won't happen again.

I had to wait to respond to this. I feel responsible for the huge loss down south. And while I agree that ideally one shouldn't try to move a battalion of tanks single file through the woods, it wasn't really the infantry that caused most of the carnage, it was the blue tanks. Without thermals in the LeoAS1's, I was unable to see any targets at all. While being tank sniped, all I could do, if even that, was to fire back at weapons' signature smoke obscured in the trees. I got fixated trying to take out just a tank or two. I felt like Xerxes at Thermopylae. But, remember that lopsided though those casualties were, Leonidas fell as a reminder to passersby and never did return to Sparta ---- not even atop his own shield.

So fortunately, having broken out of the woods, we needn't worry about that anymore. But I will admit that I personally should have done a better job in the south last time and not have lost so many tanks. I gave you the opportunity to seriously attrit our tanks. You took advantage of the opportunity, to your credit, but now that we're in the open, it won't happen again.

Yes, expect your tactics to be more to the Sovjet hand book...will give us an "interessting" time at best.

Well, you didn't have the space to avoid the woods there...and with the few operators on red side its also not quiete easy to manage a coordinated tank+mech+Inf aproach in teh woods.

Personally I would habe done the defense in a other way (more to the NATO handbock).

I'd liked to concentrate a tank force about 1,5-2 km away from the woods in order to strike at RED while or befor the are able to get wide.

As in the way now, the tanks at the "south-gates" where in fact saceficed(there was no chance to pull them out of there) but I have to admit to a pretty good price ;-)

At the and: Tacbats plan worked out pretty well and thats what counts.

I would also like to point out that my original intent was not to lambast my team or teammates (which I'm sure they are all aware of), I just thought the replay made for an interesting study.

RED does have a lot of stuff to account for, but I really do believe that both sides have their crosses to bear. I'm keen to see the whole campaign play out as there may be much to learn from it. In any case, time will tell about the balance, but I am more upbeat in this regard.

Lastly, I'd discourage too much NATO vs. Warsaw pact orthodoxy as:

LeoAS1 != T72 && Leo2a5/Leopardo2E > Leo2a4/M1A1

I appreciate everyone's participation.

I would also like to point out that my original intent was not to lambast my team or teammates (which I'm sure they are all aware of), I just thought the replay made for an interesting study.

I didn't feel like anybody was lambasting me. I'm just embarrased at having lost so much and am glad that we're out of the woods, so to speak.

I prefer everyone in the one channel so I can keep tabs on what people are saying/doing, and I can offer "encouragement" to those that require it directly.

Ok, so thats the difference between "Auftragtaktik"(leading by task) and "Befehlstaktik"(leading by order) ;-)

Ok, so thats the difference between "Auftragtaktik"(leading by task) and "Befehlstaktik"(leading by order) ;-)

Sometimes, what matters is how you frame the question. The distinction between task and order is less important when one is engaged in herding cats (Leo cats that is... :cul:).

Ahhh the chaos of teamspeak! :)

Quite true. I'd love to employ "Auftragtaktik" so I'm not spending hours making a plan. However:

"...the success of the mission-type tactics it is crucial that the subordinate leaders understand the intent of the orders, are given proper guidance and that they are trained to act independently."

Unfortunately, our group of Blue players haven't been "trained" to work together as an effective and coherant team. One of the drawbacks to a TGIF pick up game. :)

• Members

Ugh.. I think we all better start learning Russian..

D'oh of the day: 03:50 - blue Tiger colliding with the Holtensen church spire.. here go 50% of the airforce..

Shot of the day: 24:03 - red Leopard hitting CV9035

Did I see this right that red moved part of its forces towards the center to wait which of the attacks looked most promising (the northern one in this case) and reinforced this?

Shame that red didn't try to squeeze through the gap at Unsen, would have been nice to see a couple dozen Leos run through a minefield..

Greets...

Eisen, the last pic was my kill. Nice, isn't it? Allthough the little bugger needed 3(!!) TOW bevor he was down.

Tacbats order was not very heroic, but the only useful thing to do as we where seriously outflanked here.( nice Job RED)

You know, thats the thing I like about this type of campain...in a one off battle BLUE would have stayed and slugged it out to the end.

Had alot of fun with my 1st game. I didnt fire a single shot but must admit getting my company from 1 side of the map to the other under fire and arty was a real challenge in itself.

What 1 would call a small victory for red but common sense tells me that Tacbat is playing the smart game.

Glad to be back

Luke

;179418'] What 1 would call a small victory for red but common sense tells me that Tacbat is playing the smart game.

You are correct, IMHO: Tacbat's got the overall strategy pretty much pegged. IN RL3, we had the 2010 version of the Ardennes, 1940: Maginot line bypassed through the woods. :) Well Done to RED, but BLUE is still in it, for sure. The quick withdrawal kept BLUE intact, ready for reinforcements and another go next Friday! I'm just sorry that I could not stop RED's northern thrust with my M1 and four CV90's: two extra hours of mandatory daily practice for me!:gen004:

And can someone please tell me how I got a hit percentage of 245% (103 out of 42)? System error? Bug? Much as it "Looks Good," it's just plain wrong."Stop the medals parade, General. We need a recount!" :)

Edited by Tango29