The Red Leopard

tarball

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks. Got it. Having the time to do a thorough map appreciation and planning seesion makes a big difference. Myself not being one of the better 'gunners' it's better to rely on planning, especially when facing guys like Dave, who might actually kick ass if he were ever to show up.

He'd probably just retreat though.

• Members

Doesn't look too good for Blue, does it? In the north, all tanks got wiped out, in the south it looks like there's one platoon left.. and what looks like 2 companies of mech infantry. Air support was a bust as well (got itself killed in the no-go zone).

Red got mauled as well of course (is there more than on battalion left?) but now it doesn't look like there's a lot remaining to oppose them.. have to check reinforcement schedule

[Edit: and here it is]

Red: After 4th mission => 33% of Full Regiment Strength

Blue: MBT: USA – 2 ESP – 1 DEN – 1

SCOUT: ESP – 1

APC/IFV: ESP – 1

I think Blue did very well to last as long as we did this time especially in the north. The terrain offered little chance to hold ground and most of our fighting was played out in the open. and at close range giving red a good opportunity to fight back. Well done Sean on his sneaky flank near the end of the game. well do to all of red for being such good conon fodder haha >120 dead tanks. how many btn's is that under Russian doctrinaire?

Sorry we go wiped out Tacbat, but I could not seam to break of the engagements to with draw. No where to run you know. But my guys had fun and racked up a good kill ratio. I guess next week we have to make every unity count. It will be fun.

see you all next time.

NP Fidel.

Because of you and Eis looking after your Companies, I was able to get in and have some fun myself. :) Thanks for that.

There's only so much you can do, but hopefully everyone learned something. I was willing to make a bit of a stand this week knowing that our reinforcements for the next mission are fairly substantial, so hopefully they'll bail us out.

Fortunately, Red took it on the chin too, so I would say that overall we broke about even.

A couple of points for Blue after looking through the AAR:

1) Identify your target, we can afford blue on blue fire.

2) When falling back under contact, do so in reverse. It's slower, but it presents the EN with your strongest armour. A number of our vehicles were lost with shots in the rear. Time your withdrawl accordingly with the slower speed, and use overwatch positions.

3) Use smoke when engaging targets. If you can't get a good lase through the smoke (which is normal), get out and let the AI do the shooting, or manually enter the range. Critical for long range engagements. Also, the M2's have engine smoke, so turn it ON. Reload your smoke grenades.

4) PC's don't fight tanks intentionally. Their sole purpose in this campaign is to carry troops. If we lose a PC, then we lose the troops as well. Drop them off and run, unless the plan calls for something else (ex: TOW's).

A couple of points for Blue after looking through the AAR:

2) When falling back under contact, do so in reverse. It's slower, but it presents the EN with your strongest armour. A number of our vehicles were lost with shots in the rear. Time your withdrawl accordingly with the slower speed, and use overwatch positions.

(==> addition here, Our tactical handbook says: Local success panders disengagement from the enemy. In short...If an enemy platoon is rigth on top of you, you can only fall back if you kill them first and fast.)

4) PC's don't fight tanks intentionally. Their sole purpose in this campaign is to carry troops. If we lose a PC, then we lose the troops as well. Drop them off and run, unless the plan calls for something else (ex: TOW's).

for point 4: Don't want to bragg around here...but I killed 3 enemy tanks(AT-squad kills not counted) with my M2s, without loosing a single PC. 8-)

• Moderators
...well do to all of red for being such good conon fodder haha >120 dead tanks. how many btn's is that under Russian doctrinaire?

That would be about four battalions which is not unheard of if higher apparently wants an all out breakthrough in this area. I would reckon though that we killed *nearly* two battalions worth of Blue tanks/IFVs though in the past two scenarios. The question will be if 2:1, 2.5:1 or 3:1 trades are good or bad, but it is all irrelevant anyway since it all comes down to time and space, not losses.

Speaking of PCs, we have plenty to spare. I wonder who that was at the end that presented the four M2s on a nice silver platter? It was good for morale. :diable: