The Red Leopard

tarball

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, we're actually on mission 05! I'm sure most thought that RED would be dust by now, but it's been a brutal fight on both sides. Unless I am mistaken, I believe we are to resume with RL05 this Friday unless one or both of the commanders throw in the towel. Blue is really down on quantity, but retains quality. Should RED make it to mission 06, they have nothing but open ground and the Weser River to cross. However, RED does have another forested mountain to negotiate in RL05.

Attached are more KML files for your study in Google Earth.

[ATTACH]7753[/ATTACH]

Red Leopard - Mission 05.zip

Edited by tarball

The last mission became comprmised by the FPS-rate .

I´ve killed ALL single-tree´s and bushes in the area so i think it runs much better. A work for prisoners and I will not do it again. :confused:

Most roads are underlaid with gravil or scrub to give the drivers a chance not to collide with a tree. :)

@tarball/tacbat: I send you a mail with the link of the map.

Gruss

• 2 weeks later...

Luke,

I think the "ghey" option was selected for that particular play period. Last week was a "bye" week and I'm affraid the 12th (and possibly the next Friday) might also have to be skips.

I'm game for resuming and concluding this as soon as I'm able.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to thank everyone who came out for RL01-05 this winter. There *might* be a RL07 at sometime in the future, but the timing, due to personal schedules, is not certain. I realize that the idea had it's ups and downs, but I think that entertainment and educational value were realized on any given night.

You will notice that RL06 will be skipped as both commanders have agreed to conclude the campaign with a battle across the Weser river in Minden, Germany in RL07. While I can't predict an exact time in which this mission will transpire, I hope to give enough warning so that those of you who have participated in the past might show up for the final showdown. It is possible, but not confirmed, that we might do RL07 in the next few weeks as I've given an initial version of the mission to the respective commanders for both sides. If not, I'm happy to put it on ice and revive RL for this last mission at a future date when both commanders (Volcano and Tacbat) can participate.

I regret that the campaign sort of fizzled in the end; I mark this up to:

1. Personal/Real-life stuff
  2. Increased disinterest in "forest fighting"
  3. The emphemeral nature of the players on BLUE's side (it was always a pick-up team of whoever cared to play that Friday)
  4. My own waning support and focus due to other factors

In any case, I believe both sides fought well and that the question of the Red Leopard has more evidence for consideration and contemplation. I certainly learned a lot about what NOT to do and also some things that were appropriate for the running of a campaign.

So, again, thank you to those who participated (with a special thanks to both commanders) and helped. I'd also like to thank the European/German players who stayed up late/woke up early for several of the games - I'm sorry we did RL05 on such short notice as I'm sure several of you might have played. Of course, I should also thank Manteuffel/Michael for his OUTSTANDING map of the Westfalia environs southwest of Hannover; the map really gave the campaign a boost.

I'd like to think we can get RL07 done sometime in the future in order to punctuate this experiment. I will post a more in-depth AAR of the whole shindig when time permits.

I look forward to the next campaign from someone else soon.

Edited by tarball

• Moderators

Yes, I agree. The fun had during Red Leopard far outweighed everything. I thank you (Tarball) for taking the time to coordinate and run it. Hopefully the planets will align soon enough and we can coordinate the final game, I am looking forward to it.

Panzer, I hope to see you around for future campaigns. :)

I also agree, Manteuffel: outstanding map work! I think there will be quite a few scenarios made on this map from now on.