JohnO

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't even worry about skins to start - plenty of time for that later. The stock skins are way more than adequate, in my view.

Spend your initial time doing the tutorials for your tank of choice, then work on the tank range to boost your gunnery scores, which has an affect on how the in-game gunners perform in single-player mode.

After that, join us for TGIF on Friday evening :)

Then you can start browsing the skin library and downloading the ones you find appealing. I do recommend the JSGME generic mod enabler for ease of use in shifting skins in and out of play and maintaining backups of everything.

Dave

Hey welcome and congrats!

Your enjoyment will outweigh your wallet's weight loss programme. :)

I'd agree to start with the tutorials but then read the "anti frustration guide" here and then also look over the SBwiki. :)

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Main_Page?chappeep_sbvbforum_wiki__session=d3a4a8d1aa8889086c046af328b264bc

Thanks Dave and Mark for the replies to my questions. Couple of other questions while I wait to get my copy.

First question, it seems that I can't download the "anti frustration guide", can someone direct me to another site that would have it?

Second question, can TrackIR5 be used in SBProPE?

Third question, what is the largest scenario that was played by internet?

JohnO

Both number of players and vehicles :) Wow, 40 players! How did it turn out? Was there any lag from the internet? Which is better, human player vs human player or human player against the AI? I think I know what the answer would be, human vs human players, but trying to get that many players at one time is pretty hard, I think.

JohnO

Well...we(911) screwed up every time we tried to re-run such a big scenario :-(

So lag and package loss are an issue on that.

I hope I found some modifications in sce design to work around that.

I a few weeks I well try to run a Bn sized(it more of a task force than a Bn) attack that needs at least 29 player to run nicely.

Human vs Human is the most fun and challange...you can script OPFOR only so good with AI

;-)

Thanks Dave and Mark for the replies to my questions. Couple of other questions while I wait to get my copy.

First question, it seems that I can't download the "anti frustration guide", can someone direct me to another site that would have it?

Try here: http://www.29tharmor.com/resources/afk/AFK.pdf

Second question, can TrackIR5 be used in SBProPE?

NFI (mainly because I don't know what it is. :))

Ah correction, just looked it up. Now I know what it is but still don't know if you could use it. :)

Third question, what is the largest scenario that was played by internet?

JohnO

Don't know about "Internet" as in lots of distributed people but I've had four large classrooms full playing one engagement (square Battlegroup) and that was just "Blue".

Admittedly some of the more senior "players" were pretty much just using the map view (F5) and the external view (F8) not so much "in the turret".

Although I was in the room when the CT comd suddenly yelled out "From my position ..." because his CT was being overun and the OPFOR were approaching his HQ. :)

The OPFOR were prety much AI scripted but I did have about 10 guys who would take over individual vehicles as required (again using the map view) to "tune" the OPFOR assault.

Ok, I just took the plunge and ordered SBProPE today. Should get it this week. What do I need to get started on when I get it? What skins should I get for the tanks?

JohnO

Welcome John!

I can see we're a few old TacOps players around. :)

Hope you get SBP soon, it doesn't help to begin harassing and thretening the Post Office, it won't take long to reach your hands anyway! :diable:

Cheers,

Panta

Thanks guys for the welcome :) Yep, it seems there is some old TacOps players here :) I decide awhile back that TacOps is pretty much dead so I decided to get SBProPE to get back into armor battles, I can only take so much of ArmA2 before I throw the controls at the monitor :)

I ordered SBProPE Monday and the ordered showed up on my card so I should get it by this Friday, I hope.

JohnO

Just about finished reading "Tin Soldiers" by Michael Farmer and will start to read "Armor Attacks" By John Antal.

I know I'm asking in the wrong thread here but was thinking about having human players play as the CO of a tank company and have human players play as plt ldrs of a tank company fighting against AI OPFOR units. Has this been done before?

I know I'm asking in the wrong thread here but was thinking about having human players play as the CO of a tank company and have human players play as plt ldrs of a tank company fighting against AI OPFOR units. Has this been done before?

SBP has several layers of play: you can have fellow humans on each drivable (from the inside) vehicle, or else you can assign them different levels of command (or a blend of all that). Remember, though, that SBP PE only allows eight players on a private LAN or Internet connection, unless playing on the dedicated servers.

As a matter of fact, I play every Monday with a group of friends, I was invited to join them by James S. himself, and we play coop against the Evil AI, exactly as you say, great fun.

I have created a few scenarios with that purpose so far -creating scenarios in SBP is pretty straighforward- using the library of realistic maps. You can make your own maps, but that's more complicated, I left it for the future. :debile2:

Cheers,

P.

Just about finished reading "Tin Soldiers" by Michael Farmer and will start to read "Armor Attacks" By John Antal.

Yes, lots of times.

Admittedly using SB Pro (not SB Pro PE).

This was the format for the large scale activity I wrote about before.

When conducting Officer / NCO Trg in my old Regt the format was to get all Crew Commanders together.

The format was that they were allocated a Csn as per their “real job” and then the Regt (and Sqn’s below it) manoeuvred around an area facing a AI (or human) OPFOR.

The commanders had their radios and sent contact reports etc. and the SHQ‘s and RHQ used those as lower inputs to a CPX for their HQ trg.

I’ve even been able to drag some grunts over to set up CT’s with the same environment.

The culminating point for this has been 2 x Sqn’s on SB Pro, 1 x Sqn in the field on the range (the range being duplicated as a SB Pro map) and the RHQ getting feeds from both the “live” and “SB Pro” sub units and not really knowing which was which.

We then rotated the Sqn’s through the “live” trg.

The remainder of the crews (Dvr, Ldr and Gnr’s) did concurrent trg when not involved in the simulation.

Well, there is an AAR of an scenario played like this ;-)

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2933067.html#Post2933067

We had one Fully crewed Tank company (+/-), RED was AI, the rest of the Blue Bn was AI(60% of the Bn was shown on the map)

SBP has several layers of play: you can have fellow humans on each drivable (from the inside) vehicle, or else you can assign them different levels of command (or a blend of all that). Remember, though, that SBP PE only allows eight players on a private LAN or Internet connection, unless playing on the dedicated servers.

As a matter of fact, I play every Monday with a group of friends, I was invited to join them by James S. himself, and we play coop against the Evil AI, exactly as you say, great fun.

I have created a few scenarios with that purpose so far -creating scenarios in SBP is pretty straighforward- using the library of realistic maps. You can make your own maps, but that's more complicated, I left it for the future. :debile2:

Cheers,

P.

Ok, I think I just found my answer to a question that I just posted :)

How can I get a dedicated server?

Refer your previous post / answer. :)

The big engagements I’ve been able to setup were using the Military version - SB Pro (as opposed to SB Pro PE).

This doesn’t have the limit issue but:

1. Costs a lot more than the “PE” version.

2. Is only available to bone fide military organisations.

Refer your previous post / answer. :)

The big engagements I’ve been able to setup were using the Military version - SB Pro (as opposed to SB Pro PE).

This doesn’t have the limit issue but:

1. Costs a lot more than the “PE” version.

2. Is only available to bone fide military organisations.

Ok, I will be reading the SBWiki about hosting SBProPE. I have three computers one of them is my server for other games that I host while I play on the other two computers.

Ok, I will be reading the SBWiki about hosting SBProPE. I have three computers one of them is my server for other games that I host while I play on the other two computers.

Well you should be able to do this by:

1. Installing SB Pro PE on all three machines.

2. Keeping the USB stick with the codemeter software on it plugged into the server. This machine loads the scenario to be played and is setup as the “Host”.

I think though that the standard licence only get you two sessions (so Player A uses the Server and Player B uses one of you other machines as the “client”).

If you want the Server to just Host and Player A to use one of the other machine‘s as a “client” and Player B the remaining machine as a “client”, I think you need to get a third licence (via upgrading the code on the USB stick).

They did sell these pretty cheaply a while ago - not sure what they cost now. [sorry that was 4 years ago!]

People outside your home can join in though as long as they have their USB stick installed on whichever machine they are using.