challenger 1 or 2 mbt

RICH12ACE

• Members

What I was saying is that if you want to contribute useful vehicle models, we certainly welcome that and will be happy to accept them - but in order to do so, you will need to bring not only talend, but also determination. Our experiences so far with people tinkering with 3D model design as a pure hobby haven't been encouraging. We invested a considerable amount of time to teach the important elements for the design work (no "trade secrets" in here, just a matter of naming conventions and mesh organization as well as polycount and texture space limits), only to see people give up with 80% or 90% of the work done, at which we either have to take over or start from scratch. Taking over includes the risk of later copyright infringement and litigation, and it doesn't save enough time to justify these risks. Consequently we rather start from scratch.

Therefore we are a bit cautious here. No big secrets. Nothing that couldn't be solved. We just want to raise awareness of all the implications that come with it.

Excellent. That's what I wanted to clarify. It's an area of user-contribution that is fairly prevalent in other games, but not here. I'm sure there was a reason, but initial responses seemed odd.

I understand if 90% finished is as much trouble as from scratch when the complications of creative credit comes in. That can get unnecessarily sticky.

There is no doubt in my mind that seeing a project 100% through is a big commitment. I just hope that with the release of ProPE, some talented people will take the time and have the determination to help out in this area. It may not be the top of the list, but hopefully it can give you something useful in areas you are less-inclined to spend time on. (Because it may not pay the bills, for instance! :) )

Deja...that's not community contribution - that's eSim staff qualifications. Big difference.

Well, there's what most modders could do, and then there's what we would need so that we could actually put it to good use. Nobody is better off with a half-done model, or with just a LOD1 model, or one that is done, but without texture unwrapping.

A model that is 99% done is still 100% useless. This may be a bit hard to swallow for some, but it's exactly the way it is. This is not Raino's fault. Actually it's nobody's fault. It's just that if a contribution is supposed to be helpful, it also must be complete. Incomplete work will create as much extra work on our end that we could just as well start the work from scratch, and therefore we wouldn't touch it.

Sure... Leclerc exterior model was completed months ago (don't remember the exact date, but it was in 2004 or early 2005). So the 3D model is not all, I guess...

If you guys require the services of an artist, I have a friend who is available for projects on a part-time or full time basis. He has experience making graphics for games; his last commercial project was Falcon 4 Allied Force (http://www.lead-pursuit.com), he created the cockpits, user interface and some of the model textures and terrain graphics.

If you are interested, send a pm, email or contact me via ICQ and I will provide you with more details. I bet he would be willing to do some work in exchange for a copy of SBpro PE :)

• 4 years later...

I just stumbled across this thread ,but it begged to be addressed in relevent times.The solution seems to me to be quite simple.Release a fully functional model as template and regulate the submisions for new game content.I guarantee you'd have more "finished" content than you'd know what to do with.

• Moderators

Ok, who gets the Thread Necromancy award? :biggrin:

Just to be clear, the Challenger 2 is NOT going to be playable, at least not yet. Have to get it into SB first, then maybe one day it will and all of that. Still, it is better than not having it at all, right? You can at least use it for a supporting asset.

Programmer?...no...have I built armor for games?...yes.In fact I'll go a step further to prove my point.I didn't know anything about modeling,or codeing,but through the use of a template,was able to build a number of additions to a game all working as expected,fully functional in just a few weeks.So I can just imagine what someone with real professional or even a hobbist level could do.Just sayin...

• Moderators
Programmer?...no...have I built armor for games?...yes.In fact I'll go a step further to prove my point.I didn't know anything about modeling,or codeing,but through the use of a template,was able to build a number of additions to a game all working as expected,fully functional in just a few weeks.So I can just imagine what someone with real professional or even a hobbist level could do.Just sayin...

Actually, no. The complexity involved in just getting a vehicle model without any sort of playable functions into SB cannot be fathomed; there are all sorts of components, parts and elements that have to come together, and making the vehicle "playable" is even more complex. But as long as there are those who continue to think things are relatively simple to do, we will never have a shortage of hearing what "should easily be done".

• 2 weeks later...
i'd like to see a challenger, i'd like to see an M60, i'd like to see a T-90, when are we going to see the T-55, is there ever gonna be a leclerc, is there gonna be more french vehicles? more british vehicles? any plans for korean vehicles?

can we have the chinese type 98, would be good for a chinese vs US scenario.

i want an M1A2 interior. i really want an M1A2 interior. can we see the M1A2?

how about the AAAVP7?

T-62? WW2 mod? vietnam mod? how about every one of the 100 vehicles that served in WW2?

to all this, i say: sure, keep them coming ;)

but i'm only 1 person, and so is Al. and it takes me 3 weeks to create 1 vehicle, 1.5 months to create an interior (optimistic) so you'll have to wait.

You're making me happy, after 3 weeks of field (military preparation for those who want to join the army).

From what I saw, you made an incredibly detailed Chally, well done!