ATI 5xxx series graphic issues

Mako88

Just thought I give a heads up in case anybody is considering buying any of the recent ATI VGAs(5750,5770,5850 & 5870). I bought a XFX 5870 and have been impressed with it's performance but unfortunately, every once in awhile, my screen will become corrupted and I'll have to reboot the system. I thought it was just a glitch that I'd be able to sort out sooner or later but I found this post over at the HarwareCanucks forum that indicates it's a problem that seems to affect a unknown percentage of cards:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/28464-ati-5xxx-series-issues-driver-updates.html

I tried the 10.1 hotfix that was released a couple days ago but I can't see any improvement. The only good thing about this is that it seems okay while playing games or watching videos and only gives me problems while web browsing. Hopefully, a software fix will take care of it but I must admit, I'm starting to think there's more to it then that.

Rob

Yes I installed the latest driver as well as the hotfix that was supposed to help alleviate the situation. I even updated my chipset driver not realizing I missed a few updates. As I mentioned, not all cards are affected but seems to be a fairly high percentage. Quite a few people have gone the RMA route and received cards with the same problem well others have got ones that worked fine.

It's great to hear your not having issues but I thought it prudent to let everybody know about this as it could end up being quite a hassle if it turns out to be problem that can't be solved with a software fix.

• Moderators

Thanks for the info! Yes, I have read similar things about this. This information will certainly help some people who might be considering an update to their graphics card.

Personally, I have two 4870s which work great and, from the sound of it, if some people can wait it out then perhaps it is a good idea to skip the 5 series altogether.

Well I hope they get it sorted out. I was hoping to add another 5870 and crossfire them as part of my PC upgrade this spring.

One things for sure. ATI did an outstanding job with the frustration sensor that came with this card. Every time I start to get ticked off enough to rip it out and put back in my trusty reliable 9800GTX, it'll smarten up and behave itself for a few days.

Which OS are you running? I just installed a XFX 5970, running the 9.12 hotfix drivers and didn't experiance issue with SB. (My game OS image is XP SP2 32bit)

I did have some issues with ARMA2 if I ran any FPS tools, (Fraps or MSI Afterbuner) in game. Checking the forums, I tend to see more issues with Vista/Window7 than XP.

I'm running XP 32 bit as well. I had SP2 but thought I'd try SP3 to see if it would help. Nope!.

I was under the impression the 5970's where not experiencing this but the link below has somebody mentioning that they could be affected as well. There's also some talk of adjusting some setting in BIOS as it seems like the original setting is too low when the card is at idle. Seems to make sense as mine works fine when playing games.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Grey-Screen-Fix-5870,9549.html