SB1 and Windows 7 ?

ElBando

I just got a new laptop, HP brand with Windows 7. I tried to install SB1 and a message window kept coming up saying my computer was missing a certain file and to contact Microsoft to obtain that file, but the Mocrosoft website said that file wasn't available for Windows 7. So is anyone having a problem with Windows 7 and the old Steel Beasts game? Thanks.

My PC is at work now and I won't be able to see exactly what file it is until tomorrow but it is SOMETHING like dsr3.dll......something along that order. Windows prompted me to click on a Microsoft link that said MIGHT solve the problem, but the answer was " not at this time ". I have two other PCs that are running windows xp and they are fine with SB1. However, my wife's HP desktop with Windows 7 lets me install the game but when I try to run it all I get is a white screen. I know I should update my SB with the newest version but if I can resolve this without buying SB Pro SE I would like to.

I just got a new laptop, HP brand with Windows 7. I tried to install SB1 and a message window kept coming up saying my computer was missing a certain file and to contact Microsoft to obtain that file, but the Mocrosoft website said that file wasn't available for Windows 7. So is anyone having a problem with Windows 7 and the old Steel Beasts game? Thanks.

Didn't SB1 use DX7? you may need to install directx-7 in order to play ?. Link to this site may not be safe. Not sure just a shot in the dark on this one.

• 1 month later...
My missing file is d3drm.dll

I did a Google seach and found a site hat let me download the file mentioned. I reinstalled SB1 and got the same message and it did not solve the problem. I will now attempt to install directx7 as suggested.

Howdy,

Any luck with this? Got a W7 laptop and SB1 was the first and only game I was planning to install. I was breathing fire when I read about (and experienced) the compatability issues. It's painful to see this series relegated to such a microscopic niche.

Well, SB Pro PE has no compatibility issues, and is better looking too. ;)

Offers a lot more tactical variety as well, I should mention.

I've got to be honest, you've got the best playing tank platform but that SB Pro price point is brutal. I take it you have a solid base of govvie users. I think you guys could make a little $ by offering an SB1 download converted for W7 use (or maybe it's harder than it sounds?). You'd attract the casual usership with a little marketing outlay and savvy. By not just offering a free fix you'd have the unique opportunity of selling the game all over again which shouldn't be a problem as it's still the best. You wouldn't be cannabalizing SB Pro as these are 2 distinctly different classes of end user. SB1 is a great low resource game for the netbook generation, the 'Battlezone' of the 21st century.

That's about all I have to say about that. I gotta go find Bubba now.

• Members

It would go too far to outline the technical reasons why we had to discontinue SB1 as a supported product (there were a number of reasons, any one of which would have justified this step). Anyway, the point is that we had to pull the plug. Maybe netbooks would be an interesting market... but maybe in a few years netbooks will have 3D accelerator power that is sufficient to run the then-current SB Pro PE version, who knows. We simply don't have the manpower to maintain SB1.

Whether the price of SB Pro is "brutal" depends on one's point of view. Sure, the average game that you buy is probably just 40 bucks, but I bet that all of those people who still play SB1 have proven already that the longevity of SB alone justifies a higher price. Or think of World of Warcraft - $40.- for the game and then $10.- every month; after eight months you have paid pretty much exactly the same amount. Or watching a movie - $8.- for admission, $3.- for popcorn, $3.- for a beverage, times two for your friend, plus $4.- for the parking lot ticket = $32.- for a three-hour evening event.

Sure, it's not the same. But still, one SB Pro PE represents about four evenings out at the cinema - and you'll play it for YEARS to come, as you have demonstrated with SB1 already.

When we released SB Pro PE in 2006, I promised a product life-time much longer than your average game - and here we are, four years later, and I'm confident that we'll see at least another four years with updates, hopefully even more.

Besides, what else is there?

As soon as we're talking "contemporary armor" and "high fidelity simulation" - nada. Well, maybe except SB1, whose apparent longevity proves that continuing support actually would have a cannibalization effect. ;)