SB Pro PE supports how many players in MP?

sage0030

Correct. For ProPE the limit is 8. For Pro, the number can be much higher, limited mostly by equipment available.

Several members of the forum have been granted access to the Pro version and graciously host some of our MP games, which is why you'll see much higher player counts in some events.

Correct. For ProPE the limit is 8. For Pro, the number can be much higher, limited mostly by equipment available.

Several members of the forum have been granted access to the Pro version and graciously host some of our MP games, which is why you'll see much higher player counts in some events.

ahh ok, so you need sperate key to host? because I have another machine I could use to host a DD server. and would be happy to leave it up. im talking about the one besides the one that comes with the original cd when I order the sim,

Edited by sage0030

No, you can host with the standard license, with an 8 player limit.

You are licensed to only have one machine running SB per license purchased (up to a limit of 7 secondary licenses are available on the stick at something like $25 each, (but I forget the exact amount).

The Pro license is for a different version of the software - what is used to host the 'bigger' games is a specially modified version of ProPE provided to a few who have sufficiently powerful machines and connections (upload speed) to make more than 8 users a worthwhile experience.

There is also the possibility of time-limited licenses - I have heard of these for classroom evaluation (for Pro) and software reviewing purposes (for ProPE). At one time or another, Nils has also mentioned LAN meets etc. using temporary licenses.

A Dedicated server is less useful than it sounds, as there is no persistent world, and scenarios are not 'random access' - all users must join before the session starts. As you need to be present (or offer remote access/control) to launch and run the scenario, and also to perform instructor/host functions including handing off new elements that fall to the 'host' player's control and performing some (mostly esoteric) functions that require the host to perform, even an automagick'd scenario selection and launch may not be ideally functional.

No, you can host with the standard license, with an 8 player limit.

You are licensed to only have one machine running SB per license purchased (up to a limit of 7 secondary licenses are available on the stick at something like $25 each, (but I forget the exact amount).

The Pro license is for a different version of the software - what is used to host the 'bigger' games is a specially modified version of ProPE provided to a few who have sufficiently powerful machines and connections (upload speed) to make more than 8 users a worthwhile experience.

There is also the possibility of time-limited licenses - I have heard of these for classroom evaluation (for Pro) and software reviewing purposes (for ProPE). At one time or another, Nils has also mentioned LAN meets etc. using temporary licenses.

A Dedicated server is less useful than it sounds, as there is no persistent world, and scenarios are not 'random access' - all users must join before the session starts. As you need to be present (or offer remote access/control) to launch and run the scenario, and also to perform instructor/host functions including handing off new elements that fall to the 'host' player's control and performing some (mostly esoteric) functions that require the host to perform, even an automagick'd scenario selection and launch may not be ideally functional.

hmm ok, what protical does the server system use? does not sound like dedicated to me sounds more like P2p what does it use. or some other protical, I remember in the first sb you could have a dial up connection and was so stable,

To my mind, the biggest limitations for providing a dedicated server are the need to control it directly and the requirement that the server be sufficiently powerful, including graphically, to actually play the game since the server is itself a client.