Skin Request (dejawolf...)

Hackworth

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there a sort of overview - for a more or less unexperienced newbie like me - of which skins can be downloaded & installed with the latest version of SB? (eg can i use a leopard1 skin, made for 2.6, or a skin made for 3.x without any problems)

Rgrds

Dennis

id say it depends on what model the leopard texture your thinking of using is based on... and as ssnake said... if the uv still fits it via the version of the game it was implemented since alot of the textures thats on the site still comes from 2.6 and lower

might be an idea to clean up in the site for textures that is for the 3.0 and up to now. just an idea.

• Members

Well, there may still be people using version 2.6, so keeping them around may serve the legitimate interest of, admittedly, a small minority. But everybody who knows something about a certain texture file can place a comment to say whether it's suitable for a particular version.

The upload section requires a version number for each new skin. And yes, putting the number in the title helps. But it doesn't really tell you whether a skin made for an older version will still work with the current version ... which was what Canadus asked.

Ideally, modders would keep their files current. If I've uploaded a skin, and the model for that vehicle changes, it would be easy for me to edit the file description with a message like "Obsolete in versions 4.010 and later" or something similar. 

A Wiki section would be great ... listing, by version, model changes for each vehicle ... but a lot of work, I'm sure. And who would bother to consult it when downloading skins?

What I do is compare downloaded skins with the originals in the sim's main folder, looking for changes in the layout. The problem with that is a lot of obsolete files are still living in those folders. It takes some sleuthing to figure out whether the sim is using T72M1 or T72M_M1, for example.

So to answer Canadus's question: No. There is only trial-and-error.

• Administrators

We've been collecting the version number for a while now.  The question is which older skins still work in newer versions - and the answer is "it depends".  Give them a try and leave a comment about if it works or not in xyz version for the next guy.  Depending on the vehicle, some of the oldest skins may still work.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellas been looking round the forums a lot recently now ive upgraded SB and got more time on my hands these days, wanted to get into some skinning and do some work on the M1 and CR2 but like a lot of others am unclear as to what templates to use and what are compatible with SB 4 these days would love to get hold of some blank templates so i could get to work on some projects i have in mind, have seen some pictures of M1 and CR2 that work in 4.0 but finding the templates is difficult obviously someone has them and i would be grateful if i could be pointed in the right direction, also hope to get involved more and do some online stuff soon, skinning some vehicles would be useful to what i have in mind, cheers guys.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...