Skin Request (dejawolf...)

Hackworth

• Members

I've never seen on an actual Abrams.

The image shows a version with 105mm gun, so M1, or M1IP. At the time they had the MERDC-pattern, usually, which is quite different from this one.

This here looks like a late Wehrmacht pattern where they lathered some green paint on the yellow factory primer and called it a day. Maybe someone thought it'd be fun to see how it might look like.

Abrams when they were delivered from the factory, came in a colour called 'Forest Green'. Then when the maintainers had the chance, the vehicle would then be repainted in MERDC. In photographs, there was often a significant lag, largely because MERDC was seasonal based. It seems it fell out of favour because units got hacked off having to repaint all their vehicles  every few months. So, its my guess, they avoided painting them till  it was the same season as the rest of the unit had the same scheme, and then repainted them so they all looked uniform. Maybe this was more common in the CONUS rather than West Germany, I dont know.

This looks like something that was cooked up for an exercise. Id guess its probably somewhere like Fort Knox (or maybe even Fort Irwin?), and someone painted it up with mud over the Forest green delivery scheme, just so it wouldnt stand out completely against the background.I do know there is a picture in Zalgoa's new osprey book 'Tanks from the Iron curtain 1975-1990' showing 2 M60's in a winter exercise painted with a whitewash scheme. Conceivably this is something like that. it would be interesting to learn more details of where this scheme comes from to research it, but I think it fair to say, it was probably a one off.