Arty silencer?????

fidelthefallguy

Does anybody use sound-sensing equipment to locate artillery and direct counterbattery fire, or does everyone do it with round-tracking radar now?

It's not the first choice, but sound ranging still exists as a backup for target location. It's not accurate enough for counter-battery or anything, but can tell you within a few kilometers where the other guy's big guns should be.

That being said, it's not as if you tuck that silencer into your dinner jacket or anything. :biggrin:

i was thinking more along the lines of towed arty pieces as being suppresed,they are usually closer to the front than say an tracked platform.could be useful i would think.you can supress pretty much any weapon now a days,even the good ol 12 gauge.:)

• Members
It's not the first choice, but sound ranging still exists as a backup for target location. It's not accurate enough for counter-battery or anything, but can tell you within a few kilometers where the other guy's big guns should be.

Actually, sound-ranging was precise enough by the end of WW1 not only to perform reasonably accurate counterbattery fire, but also to direct the fire and send corrections. Of course it was substantially less accurate than observed fire, but still good enough to use it as a basis for fire missions. From what I remember, quite a number of artillery batteries were at least seriously damaged that way.

Actually, sound-ranging was precise enough by the end of WW1 not only to perform reasonably accurate counterbattery fire, but also to direct the fire and send corrections. Of course it was substantially less accurate than observed fire, but still good enough to use it as a basis for fire missions. From what I remember, quite a number of artillery batteries were at least seriously damaged that way.

If the sound-ranging could narrow it down even to one grid square, and then you ask one of your own gunners where they would set up x batteries of the enemy's y-inch guns in that area...wouldn't take too much luck.

I misunderstood the source I was using. (From FM 100-2-1, so the model is a Soviet target acquisition battery that is organic to the division artillery regiment)

"The sound ranging platoon is capable of operating a six-microphone sound ranging base that can locate targets up to a range of 20 kilometers in a zone 6-8km wide"

I read that as the target area, instead of the area of detection. i.e. a box of 20x8km or so. Woops. :) Makes more sense now.

I read that as the target area, instead of the area of detection. i.e. a box of 20x8km or so. Woops. :) Makes more sense now.

If precision of k kilometers requires an n-figure grid reference, then n = 4-2 log k and that system would be giving 1.7-figure grids. I'd hate to be the guy who had to try and get funding for that one. ;)