RM Fired for assualting a Taliban

Hedgehog

Allow me to sum up the situation.....

Our guys (Our very own 12 Alpha Included) are using 105mm arty pieces, airstrikes and the humble rifle, to sort these zealots out, and HM Govt & the MoD are sacking a RM Sgt for hitting a Taliban (a confirmed IED man no less) with a f**king Welly? (Gum Boot)

What the hell is this mickey mouse shit???!!

Anyway some bods have setup a petition, I think anyone can sign this.

PM for details.

News story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8622171.stm

Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110083419024071&ref=search&sid=285000838.2588035313..1#!/group.php?gid=110083419024071&v=info&ref=search

Is it against the forum rules to post petition links here?

I have no problem with the bomb maker getting his guts stomped out.

However, that kind of thing going public causes 'hearts and minds' damage for some bloody reason. Sergeants are supposed to understand that 'mission before team before self' stuff.

I'm pretty surprised they discharged him that way; had I been in his chain I would have tacitly condoned the assault by getting him some kind of PTSD diagnosis and a medical discharge.

• Members
Is it against the forum rules to post petition links here?

Well, it certainly has the potential to spark political debate, and it sets a precedent. Next time someone posts a petition to support our valiant jihadis in Guantanamo, or "pro-life" bomb planters, we'd be in a pickle to allow this but not others.

Un-f***ing-believable!!!

Our politically-correct government strikes again! :frown:

I don't know what my country is coming to, I really don't! :confused:

Right now there are a lot of stories in the press about the MOD trying to limit the amount of compensation soldier's receive for injuries - then this next story comes along -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1266069/Now-single-mother-sort-childcare-demands-1-1m--seven-times-Army-offered-hero-lost-legs.html

Another unbelievable moment! :frown:

• Members
its pure BS,look at what they re trying to do to those SEALS for punching a terrorist in the gut.so far one has gotten off,the other trials start in may.Signed it.

Allegedly they punched a captive, and the first was acquitted by court martial for lack of evidence - both forensic, and consistent eye witness reports. That's not just semantics here, it's an entirely different meaning...

Allegedly they punched a captive, and the first was acquitted by court martial for lack of evidence - both forensic, and consistent eye witness reports. That's not just semantics here, it's an entirely different meaning...

2 of the 3 SEALs charged have been found not guilty. Neither allegedly punched the terrorist. They were charged with failing to protect the terrorist while in custody. Each was offered non judicial punishment, which they wisely declined in lieu of a court martial. This resulted in a fair trial and a not guilty verdict.

The 3rd SEAL is actually charged with striking the terrorist. For reasons Im not sure of, his trial will be in Norfolk,Va not in Baghdad.* Im not sure thats good for him. Norfolk is a lot closer to the "head shed" for the navy. He should be found not guilty also. Most guilty people will not demand court martial when offered a more lenient form of justice (non judicial punishment)

Since the alleged event did not occur, it is little wonder to me there was no evidence of it. That the accounts of a terrorist and an E-4 that initially denied any assault took place, then was bullied into testifying by the guys up at corporate, didn't match up is no surprise either.

Mog

Edited by Mogwa
*Edit: The 3rd SEALs trial is in Norfolk, Va because he declined to assert his legal right to face his terrorist accuser.

• 2 weeks later...
So it would be ok for the enemy to do the same thing to our soldiers/citizens when they are captured? How can we expect them not to do that when we are doing it ourselves?

Just give it a euphemism for when we do it. Then we can have our cake and eat it too.

Not referring to the specific cases mentioned here, some of you guys are saying it's ok to beat prisoners?

It's not a good idea to beat prisoners, for the obvious reason you point out. However, there are some humans for whom I have no compassion whatsoever and if I imagine them being beaten there's no emotional response at all.

I guess that simplifies to "I'm ok with certain prisoners being beaten, but there are compelling reasons not to beat them".

Maybe it is better to separate whether or not it is ever OK to beat POWs, and whether or not it is always appropriate to cashier or even imprison soldiers who beat POWs. I do not believe one's answer to the second question necessarily prejudices his the answer to the first question.

My opinions:

POWs should never be beaten for acts committed before capture, though they may be punished for certain acts committed after capture.

If a soldier "beats" a POW, he should be punished, but a commander should take into account the circumstances surrounding the soldier's actions before determining said punishment. Punishment could be anything from a verbal rebuke to imprisonment, depending on those circumstances.