Some mine questions

Toyguy

Would I be correct in stating that the only way to make a minefield appear at random is via the use of FASCAM arty strikes in the editor? I've not seen any way to spawn a regular field.

Also, could the opposing player use artillery strikes in an attempt to clear a minefield? Will the arty set them off?

Thanks!

• Members
Would I be correct in stating that the only way to make a minefield appear at random is via the use of FASCAM arty strikes in the editor? I've not seen any way to spawn a regular field.

That is correct. I understand why one would eventually also want to have spawning minefields, but, well, we didn't implement it yet.

Also, could the opposing player use artillery strikes in an attempt to clear a minefield? Will the arty set them off?

No. And that is consistent with reality. You might set off "some" mines, but otherwise you will only arrange the mines in a different pattern. If you want to be sure, you have to clear mines the old-fashioned way.

Even MICLIC is way less effective in real life than it is in SB Pro. In the 50s it was developed to breach steel beam and razor wire obstacles on beaches for opposed amphibious landings Normandy style. And there are a fair share of combat engineers who say that this really is the only useful scenario for that thing ... and as an instrument of deception about your true breach site. Maybe we'll refine our model one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the MICLIC:

In David Bellavia's book, "House To House", about the fighting in Fallujah he says that the MICLIC was used not only for breaching obstacles but also for clearing streets of the enemy.

From his book:

Captain Sims was done f---ing around, and he ordered Lockwald and his band of engineers to fire a MICLIC down our target street. For blocks in all directions, windows shattered, buildings shook. Debris fell. The concussion wave killed dozens of insurgents. When we went through the neighborhood, we found them twisted in awful ways. In one house, I discovered a man who succumbed while clawing his own face and eyes. The concussion wave turned some of them almost inside out.

I just thought that was interesting.

Something to remember Toygoy re: FASCAM delivery of in-game minefields: you can set the arty strike visibility to "off" so that the other side does not see the drop. They can still hear it, but it doesn't have that tell-tale "1 burst" signature.

This is how I'm simulating a Volcano truck-mounted system doing a quick emplacement in an upcoming MP scenario I'm working on.

For reference, there's some great material in FM 20-32 and FM 5-10.