Nice banner on front page!!

Stratos

• 1 year later...
Well, I made a whopping 10 banners (.png format) - I have yet to see a single one of them grace the site. :frown:

Banners submitted for the contest which did not meet the format requirements were ignored (and ultimately lost over time). At the time of the contest, I believe Sean informed you of the problem and you mumbled something about "joining the 21st century" and did not resubmit your entries in the proper format.

I know the feeling.

Along with the winners, all the other banners that passed muster were eventually posted at least once or twice.

I did actually. I think I saw it in the beginning of the year. You guys should make a new contest ;)

Perhaps. I recall the contest proved to be more troublesome than one would have expected.

• Moderators
Banners submitted for the contest which did not meet the format requirements were ignored (and ultimately lost over time). At the time of the contest, I believe Sean informed you of the problem and you mumbled something about "joining the 21st century" and did not resubmit your entries in the proper format.

Well slow down chief, they weren't submitted for the contest per se, they were simply submitted. I am not qualified to participate in contests. They were submitted at the time of the contest though, yes.

And why not just put the PNG file up there? It will load. It will get displayed. It will look better. Jeeblus, I am surrounded by Luddites.

I still have all 10 banners, they took me too long to create to just assume that you both would save them and put them up there. When you get out of the 1990s, let me know. Say hi to MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice. ;)

Well slow down chief, they weren't submitted for the contest per se, they were simply submitted. I am not qualified to participate in contests. They were submitted at the time of the contest though, yes.

I guess I shouldn't have been so "matter of fact" with my reply to you. Let me explain what happened:

You got lumped in along with everyone else because I was given the banners indirectly, without any names attached. At some point, Sean and I were talking about the contest and one of the items discussed was file sizes. We knew more than a few of our members were still using dial-up at that time, and we didn't want to make their visit to our site less enjoyable because the home page took excessively long to load because of a "large" graphic file. That's when your banners were noticed because they were relatively larger than the others. Sean sourced them back to you and we wondered why you were entered when you are (obviously) automatically disqualified from any SB/eSim contest. How was I to know your intentions when you didn't tell either one of us... on top of the lousy timing when you decide to contribute the very thing we were holding a contest on?

And why not just put the PNG file up there? It will load. It will get displayed. It will look better. Jeeblus, I am surrounded by Luddites.

Only if it were that easy...

What's a Luddite? Is that like a Teletubby?

I still have all 10 banners, they took me too long to create to just assume that you both would save them and put them up there. When you get out of the 1990s, let me know. Say hi to MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice. ;)

They were lost during a HD crash, along with volumes of other goodies. Send them over and I'll see what can be done.

Word to your mother.

• Moderators

Only if it were that easy...

Well, it SHOULD be that easy. I have a website myself and use PNGs extensively now for over five years, with nary a complaint. But what do I know...

BTW, those snazzy awards there in everyone's name, those are PNGs. This image below in my signature, that is a PNG as well. Seems to be that easy. :) But who knows, maybe the entire code of SB.com's website has to be rewritten.

What's a Luddite? Is that like a Teletubby?
Yep, it is that Teletubby that hates technology. ;)

I can send the banners, sure. I was only making a comment. The limited number of banners is not from lack of submissions.

Edited by Volcano
typo

Well, it SHOULD be that easy. I have a website myself and use PNGs extensively now for over five years, with nary a complaint. But what do I know...

BTW, those snazzy awards there in everyone's name, those are PNGs. This image below in my signature, that is a PNG as well. Seems to be that easy. :)

Yep, it is that Teletubby that hates technology. ;)

I can send the banners, sure. I was only making a comment. The limited number of banners is not from lack of submissions.

Is this a co-op or a head to head....LOL

Is this a co-op or a head to head....LOL

I thought we were having a nice little friendly chat. When someone pokes you, it's polite to poke back. If I really wanted to get to him, I would do something like only allow GIF files to be used on the forum and we'll see how snazzy his awards look then... :biggrin:

...But what do I know...

Well, for starters, you would know that the forum and website are 2 distinct pieces of software, almost complete independent of each another. That's why a feature on one doesn't necessarily mean it's also available for the other.

Yes, we are fully aware of the limitations of our website but we are stuck with it at the moment. I'm sorry that it's not as super-duper awesome as your site but we are looking into something new.

BTW, did you notice whose banner is up now?

• Moderators
Well, for starters, you would know that the forum and website are 2 distinct pieces of software, almost complete independent of each another. That's why a feature on one doesn't necessarily mean it's also available for the other.

Yes, we are fully aware of the limitations of our website but we are stuck with it at the moment. I'm sorry that it's not as super-duper awesome as your site but we are looking into something new.

BTW, did you notice whose banner is up now?

I am aware of that, and I am here to (hopefully) help:

In ...skins/powder/styles.css

.header (line 73)

{

width: 100%;

height: 200px;

background-image: url("images/pd_header.jpg");

background-repeat: no-repeat;

background-position: center top;

}

Change to ".png"

After that, you accept PNG submissions only. There, problem solved, we move into 21st Century - it is nice and pretty and we can have banners of rainbows and unicorns. People may still have dialup, but we are talking about once picture that loads one time on one single page (home page), and the file size is not much larger in the grand scheme of things.

Really though, as I explained to someone recently, I could care less at this point. You guys can have animated GIF banner of man parts drawn in finger paints -- I am only trying to suggest a way to make the website look better. Oh well, I have said what I wanted to say -- most in humor but also trying to help out. Take the info and do what you want with it. ;) If you both are looking into something new, as you say, then ignore all of this - new would be nice, but is not really necessary. See, now I am the Luddite Teletubby!

Edited by Volcano
typo, clarification