Checking In

VegasGeorge

Hi everyone! I started back with SB PE a couple of months ago running it on my Mac under XP in Bootcamp. The program ran fine. But I started having the same old Microsoft BS problems as I used to have before I switched to Macs. Missing .dll files, virus warnings, frozen menu screens, the whole nine yards of Windows headaches. Being a spoiled Mac user now, I threw a fit. I just can't put up with that level of frustration anymore. So, I scrubbed the XP partition and went back to Mac OS X only. I intend to replace my Mac with a newer model soon, and when I do I'll spring for a copy of Windows 7, or 8, or whatever they've come out with by then to try to fix the problems they're having with whatever their current operating system is called. Then I'll get back to SB PE.

• Members

To be honest, I have no idea why some people complain about Windows that much. I've run across a virus or two in the past two decades, certainly not more than ten, and acquired an actual infection only once; all others were immediately shot on sight.

Maybe it is because I don't use the Internet Explorer. Maybe it is because I don't visit the same websites that others do. Maybe it is because I don't install software from dubious sources.

My impression is that careful and considerate use will not create trouble on Windows PCs even if the same computer is being used for years. The last PC I had before my current one I used for five years without any need to format the harddisk or reinstall the operating system. Okay, this is with automatic system updates, and with some consideration about the web browser and email client choice, their settings, and regular updates of the virus scanner. Oh, and I'm using a plain vanilla firewall behind a DSL router.

It isn't necessarily all the fault of Microsoft.

A rule of thumb for normal PC operation is regular hard disk defragmentation with a good defragmenter (not the stock one preferrably) regular antivirus check with latest databases, registry cleaning if you install/uninstall programs. You might also remove the unnecessary files from System Volume Information folder as it becomes a real trash bin quite often.

SB Pro PE is a very stable software itself - I haven't seen a single crash to desktop, freezes or any other issues so far though I am using Windows XP too.

To be honest, I have no idea why some people complain about Windows that much. I've run across a virus or two in the past two decades, certainly not more than ten, and acquired an actual infection only once; all others were immediately shot on sight.

Maybe it is because I don't use the Internet Explorer. Maybe it is because I don't visit the same websites that others do. Maybe it is because I don't install software from dubious sources.

My impression is that careful and considerate use will not create trouble on Windows PCs even if the same computer is being used for years. The last PC I had before my current one I used for five years without any need to format the harddisk or reinstall the operating system. Okay, this is with automatic system updates, and with some consideration about the web browser and email client choice, their settings, and regular updates of the virus scanner. Oh, and I'm using a plain vanilla firewall behind a DSL router.

It isn't necessarily all the fault of Microsoft.

Same here, I've been using Windows for over twenty years and have never encountered problems other than lapses into the stupid zone. I defrag on a regular basis and keep my registry fairly clean.

One simple rule: don't run your machine as administrator, especially under Windows XP.

Create a standard user account and use that for your day to day business. When a program needs admin rights, use the 'run as' option.

Stops 90% of all the malware dead in it's tracks. Combine this with Ssnake's advice, and your golden.

O, and Macs have their fits to. I remember, for instance, when I updated the Macbook Air where I'm typing this on to 10.6.2, losing all WiFi capability. I found that pretty ironic. (the Macbook Air was supposed to be the laptop which could do without network cables all the time).

And don't get me started on their XServe and XSan products...

They make nice phones, though :men_ani:

Regards,

Rump