If your dongle is not working, please read this

delaney

• Members
OK, thanks for that offer. I will assume that you guys know that there really are just a tiny percentage of your upgrade sales set of customers, nothing like 5%

I can assure you, it is way, way less than that threshold (assuming that everybody who actually runs into a problem gets vocal ... which may not be the case, but how are we supposed to know it.

...and cases are diverse (not sure how that would be known w/o the data, but will take your word for it).

It's an estimate based on the sample of cases where I observed the troubleshooting process, and historical experience. People simply tend to blame a device or a new piece of software even if that software just reveals that there is a fundamental problem that so far escaped our attention. You wouldn't believe how often people can ignore regular crashes of their computers with shrugging shoulders "that's just Microsoft" until a new program comes along for which they paid money and the crashes interrupt the entertainment experience. All of a sudden the alarm bells go off.

Not saying that this is a case with you specifically. It's just part of human nature. I had my share of embarrassing moments like this myself ... blaming some innocent software vendor before actually looking up the event viewer and seeing red and yellow entries all over the place. It never really hurt me before, so I was just ignoring it ... but thinking back I realized that the problems had been there before.

Now, it can well be that there actually IS a problem like you say - the combo of firmware, license, and runtime software upgrades. Even then Wibu Systems is the one point where all these things can be analyzed together. Only if they receive feedback about a certain combination being problematic they can react to it. And in all other cases where it actually is "just a local configuration issue" their troubleshooting process seems to be perfectly adequate to identify what's going on. Even if their troubleshooting process fails, this will be valuable information as it rules out other possible sources of trouble and lets their developers concentrate faster on analyzing what's left.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can assure you, it is way, way less than that threshold (assuming that everybody who actually runs into a problem gets vocal ... which may not be the case, but how are we supposed to know it.

That is a well-traveled path in various industries with more or less complex means to adjust for that number. In my industry, the inflate number is about 10 times the actual negatives on a per incident basis. Yours is without doubt higher than what is reported unless your industry (software) is unique and it isn't. Your modifier might be 5x, or it might be 17x. You never know without market research - surveys of establised customer base as a starting point.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, been a long time. I dunno what I did tonight, but when I try to update my codemeter software(from the codemeter website), the dongle was erased, there is nothing on it. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to buy another dongle with the license installed?

I was really hoping to play tonight. :(

Thanks for your time.

• Members

I don't think that it is possible to erase a CM stick through normal user operations. Please contact me by email - or Wibu tech support directly - and describe in a step by step manner what you did, and what happened. Run CmDUST from the CodeMeter\Tools program folder, and attach the log file to your email. Try the CM stick in different USB ports. Try it on a different computer, if possible. Whatever the results are, knowing them will help us to determine better what is going on. Oh, and please be precise and report ALL error messages with their EXACT text, as well as the LED status of the stick (permanently lit (which color?) or off? Blinking? Once or permanently?).

Got version 2.538 several months ago, always got a message saying; USB not properly secure.

I tried to install and re-install finally I gave up and left it aside, tried it a couple days ago SOB still does not work.

I have to admit I am not computer trained for those kind of problems, as far as I am concerned I wasted over $30. bucks for something I can't even use.

someone please help before I use the CD as a projectile.

Guy.

Hi,

Well if you have had it for "several" months (personally I bought it on the first day it came out and that was on what 27 Aug so we are still short of 4 months) but that's off topic.

If you've had it since lets say late August why wait until now late December to mention anything and when you do somehow imply its all eSim's fault (who didn't even know about the isuue I suspect until this post).

Not doing anything for a few months rarely changes things with computers so I'm not sure why you'd be suprised that it doesn't work (given that it didn't previously).

What's next sue eSim for the damage the disc makes when you "use it as a projectile"?

What would be constructive is the usual stuff that isn't in your post, like:

1. What exactly happens?

2. Have you tried different USB ports (preferrably on the machine - not some remote USB hub type setup).

3. Which version of the CodeMeter software are you running?

4. Which Operating System are you running?

5. If 4 = Windows 7, did you install it using Admin Access?

6. Have you contacted CodeMeter?

7. Have you read the earlier posts in this and other threads here about what to do if your dongle doesn't work?

Answers to these and other questions may take a few minutes on your part but actually lets the people here know what is going on and that's the first step to fixing it.

Merry Christmas. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

Have you updated the license file so that SB 2.5xx can see a valid license? It might be ignoring the CM stick and requests the user insert a valid one if the license isn't there ?? (Just a wild stab-in-the-dark, but a simple thing to fix)

If this is the case then it might be useful to request that Wibu/CM modify the error message, making it clear that a CM stick is present, but the required license isn't on it in this case - suggesting updating the license file or inserting a stick with the correct license on it, rather than reporting a working stick as not present?

Well if you have just bought it, you can have it "now".

The upgrade is downloadable (link is on the home page from memory) and when you bought it you should have received a second email giving you details on how to upgrade the licence.

So:

1. Download the software.

2. Upgrade your license (including I'd suggest upgrading your version of the Codemeter runtime software).

3. Download the patch to go from 2.538 -> 2.546

4. Download the patches for the tutorials.

Depending on how much free time you have (and bandwidth) you can be up and running before Christmas Eve. :)

Well if you have just bought it, you can have it "now".

The upgrade is downloadable (link is on the home page from memory) and when you bought it you should have received a second email giving you details on how to upgrade the licence.

So:

1. Download the software.

2. Upgrade your license (including I'd suggest upgrading your version of the Codemeter runtime software).

3. Download the patch to go from 2.538 -> 2.546

4. Download the patches for the tutorials.

Depending on how much free time you have (and bandwidth) you can be up and running before Christmas Eve. :)

Yes, recieved the E-Mail but it won't let me update the license. Can't even update the firmware, still 1.08. Keeps telling me the password is invalid. :(

I'll have to contact Codemeter and see why with 4.20c my dongle can't be detected, but with 4.00 it is detected.

What password are you using? Did you change the password or is it still the default?

Try using "CodeMeter" as the password assuming that you haven't modified your user password since receiving the CM stick originally.

Else request the master password from Wibu that will allow you to reset the PW and then access the update and maintenance features. If you need to do this it can take a few days.

From here :

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=14717&highlight=CodeMeter+password

If you have a spare computer you could try installing the initial version of SB ProPE from when you first got it - use the older CM software to update the firmware, and then move it to your main computer (of course you could still do this on your main machine, but you should then uninstall everything and make a clean installation of 2.5 again, and that it a hassle if you can avoid it.

The 'second machine' can be anything with enough disc space and sufficient write permissions, you needn't run SB, except if you want to check the correct function of the CM stick.

Hmm... which only proves that not all USB were created equal ;)

Now I'm wondering, does the upgraded/updated stick function in a regular port?

But you might not want to mess with something that is working... :biggrin:

To answer your question, I already tried it. It still doesn't work. Plug it back into the KB USB connector, it works. I plugged my headset into the same USB connector on the computer that the dongle was plugged into. The headset works fine. LOL

Hmm, so is the KB a PS2 or USB device? Does it have multiple USB power inputs, or an auxiliary power supply?

Don't suppose you have or can borrow a powered USB hub? Maybe update Wibu with the information about motherboard type and failure of the USB ports, but the successful use of the KB ones. They might be able to improve the situation slightly for some users or at least know of an alternative route to making a tricky system function.

Hmm, so is the KB a PS2 or USB device? Does it have multiple USB power inputs, or an auxiliary power supply?

Don't suppose you have or can borrow a powered USB hub? Maybe update Wibu with the information about motherboard type and failure of the USB ports, but the successful use of the KB ones. They might be able to improve the situation slightly for some users or at least know of an alternative route to making a tricky system function.

The Keyboard is a Logitech G15 w/USB connection, two extra USB connections. I have an unpowered USB hub. I plug it into a USB connector on the computer it works, then plug the dongle into it, the computer finds the dongle. Unplug the USB hub, plug the dongle into the same connection the hub was just pluged into and the dongle doesn't work. replug in the hub, then plug the dongle into the hub. and it works. This is really weird.

I just recently updated the computer with a new MB, CPU and memory.

The MB is an ASUS M4N98TD EVO.

• Members

Weird stuff can happen.

My notebook was originally configured in a dual-boot option with XP and Vista. After a year one of the USB ports would no longer recognize the CM stick, but worked well with other USB devices (and the stick worked just nicely in all other USB ports). Half a year later, the other ports would go one after another until I couldn't run SB Pro any longer - under XP. Under Vista, the same USB ports of the same hardware worked perfectly fine.

We never found out what had happened there. I reinstalled XP, and the USB Ports would accept the CM stick again. These days the notebook uses Win 7 exclusively.

Yeah it is weird, since everything else I plug into the USB ports work. Windows 7 is also haveing problems detecting my X-Fi sound card so i took it out and using onboard sound.

But oh well the important thing is SBPro is working now, just need to practice my gunner skills.

Thanks again to all that helped!

1- Message - Device is not properly secure, re-try

2- My computer have 9 USB port

3- 1.15

4- Windows XP

6- Yes I down-loaded the up-grade

7- My computer is in french and all the terms are in english

8- look-up the word ' frustration ' in webster's dictionary

When you downloaded the update, did you just download it, or did you also purchase and apply the updated license required to use it? - the CM not present error message is not very helpful here, stating that the CM stick isn't present when it means that no CM stick with the correct license is available, although a stick is plugged in and operating.

If you check the CM control centre and the web-admin page you will see your license file information - if all you have on the stick is a license for 100146:11051, then you will not be able to use the update until you correctly install the updated license file that you receive with the order/payment which is 100146:11071.

My CM stick has the following used/assigned to it (plus some extra licenses not relevant here)

Firmware - currently 1.16 (analogous to the computer BIOS)

Driver - uses windows standard USB driver

Runtime - currently 4.2 (can also be run as a service)

License files:

For SB ProPE this has:

Provider - eSim Games 100146

Original License file - 11051

Updated License files for 2.535 11071

Trying to run 2.535/2.546 with the 2.460 and earlier license (11051) will not work.

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to put the upgrade licence on the stick , but it wont accept it, despite haveing done all the below, having turned norton of and made shure my java and codemeter porgramm is up to date. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

I have the code meter error: please ensure you cm stick is securely in a usb port.

I have win 7 ultimate 32 bit

4gb memory.

I had installed 2.46 + cm which came on the cd and all worked fine.

I installed 2.483 and it worked fine

I have just installed 2.538 which installed a new version of the cm. And it does not work.

Everything was installed as admin

I have white listed the cm and cmcc and the sbpro.exe, turned off the firewall and stopped ms sec essentials and it still does not work.

I will try to reinstall all except the latest cm to see if that changes anything.

Attached is the cmdust log

CmDust-Result.txt.a5e1ca417c493e68becbe1

CmDust-Result.txt