Touch-Buddy Profile Question

Quagmire

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a touchscreen for use with Touch-Buddy and I notice on their downloads page a SB Pro PE profile from a guy named Andy.

Link found halfway down this page: http://www.touch-buddy.com/forums/local_links.php?catid=4

Does anyone know if he visits this forum? I would like to get some tips on using the software from someone who has used it with Steelbeasts.

Cheers! :)

Quagmire

• 2 weeks later...

We have been using the TouchBuddy software with touchscreens now and then.

We have a set up with one or two touchscreens for TC or Gunner for Strv 122 or CV9040.

The software is simple to use and it reduces the time to learn SBPro functions compared to use an ordinary keyboard.

Nickname "Zorlac" on Touchbuddy did help us.

Best regards

MatsW

Edit: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=8178&highlight=touchbuddy

Hi MatsW, thanks for the reply!

You mention using 'one or two touchscreens', do you use them both for a single player or is this based on a larger military network setup?

Also, the profile you're currently using, is it the one on the TouchBuddy website, or one that's geared specifically to a particular vehicle? Any possibility of seeing screenshots?

I'm keen to go down this route and one of the screens I've looked at is widescreen 1024 x 576 and 10.1 inches in size. Do you use widescreens or the traditional 4/3 dimension?

Lastly, is the profile easy to setup and is it responsive? I've heard some screens have a slight delay when used, is that the case with SB Pro PE?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm really interested in following this through. :)

Cheers!

Quagmire

EDIT: I clicked on the Ronner.net link thinking it was SB stuff but all I see is pics of rabbits and guinea pigs :)

Edited by Quagmire

Hi Quagmire

We use (zero) one or two for every client depending on the players position as TC or gunner. We have been testing different layouts including the one at Touchbuddy website but we have also configured some by ourselfs for the Strv 122 and CV9040.

The touchscreen we use are some 10.1 inches with traditional 4:3. I have attached some pictures with one "SBPro screen", one mapscreen and one touchscreen with a TouchBuddy profile. It also shows a older version of the Multi Function Panel and the Leo2-gunner handle from AFVSim.

I find the profile easy to setup and with fast response. We have only used it with SBPro so it´s hard to compare with any other sim.

The Ronner.net link is from good old days but I will take it away shortly.

Cheers

MatsW

56e83c8c53bc0_060916003.jpg.01f659ed2af3

56e83c8c68916_060916018.jpg.3a29220acfff

56e83c8c53bc0_060916003.jpg.01f659ed2af3

56e83c8c68916_060916018.jpg.3a29220acfff

Hi MatsW, many thanks for your reply.

That looks a very nice layout you have there - especially with the replica controllers! :)

The icons on your profile, were they created in Photoshop for example, or are they cropped photographs of actual dials and switches? That's the sort of 'look' I'm trying to create in TouchBuddy but trying to find real-world examples isn't easy! :confused:

Like Digital_Steve I'm also curious to know how you get the map on another screen - and could that be incorporated as another Tab in TouchBuddy?

Cheers!

Quagmire

Cheers for the replies guys.

@Tacbat - I did take a look at those, the problem is once you start to scale them up a bit they lose their resolution and become rather 'fuzzy' to look at.

What I've been trying to find on the web are some hi-res photo's or full colour 'diagrams' of sorts for the tank panels with the switches, dials etc. Surprisingly not a lot out there - or I'm using the wrong search terms! :biggrin:

Thanks again,

Quagmire

If I remember correctly, the map display is provided by a separate computer.

I tested a set up a while back running two copies of SB on the same PC. One for play the other for map view only. Requires both instances to connect and the map 'player' to be in observer or external view. Found it a bit laggy, but that could be because I had the host and both clients running on the same box, but had to connect via my external IP as SB does not like when you try to connect to 127.0.0.1

Using a different computer as the monitor? (i.e. laptop).

Also, what if you're just wanting the function for offline play (i.e. single player... like me, cos i'm a noob that doesn't want to get spanked online)?

I'll be interested to hear more about the touch buddy profile progress as i have a touch screen on the way as well.

• Members
Using a different computer as the monitor? (i.e. laptop).

No, the same. :)

Also, what if you're just wanting the function for offline play (i.e. single player... like me, cos i'm a noob that doesn't want to get spanked online)?

You set up a network session just for yourself, load the single player scenario, and off you go. :)