Newbie Question

Twan

Hello all!

This is my first post in this forum. I've played Steel Beasts 1, and for being so cheap, I must say it's very good.

I thought that I heard somewhere that if I get Steel Beasts Pro PE, I have to pay for the updates/patches. Is this true? And if I don't update it, online play is impossible (or difficult, as most people probably have the latest version)?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

With ProPE, there are 2 different things: patches and upgrades. Patches are fixes and/or small incremental changes. These are free and part of the normal maintenance of the software.

About once every 18 months or so, eSim will release a full "upgrade" that costs $30. These are major updates, with new features, vehicles, etc. Think of upgrades like expansions in other games. They add lots of new things, but aren't free.

And, like most games, if you want to play online, you really kind of have to keep up with the Joneses. You don't HAVE to upgrade, but the population of players is so small that if you want to play online, you had best be upgraded. The same logic applies to patches in between upgrades, usually.

To address the expense/value question before it gets started: is ProPE worth $125? YES. If you like SB, you'll love ProPE, and you'll get literally years of use out of it. Compared to standard games titles, few can compare. My best example is the Civilization series, which I have probably invested $160-200 in various versions + expansions over the years. $125 seems steep for one game, but when you put it in context, it's a lot cheaper than things like WoW, and has longer legs than 90% of the rest of the gaming market.

I should mention that there's a special on until Aug 21st, so SB Pro PE is now only $100.00. Also, in the past the upgrade was offered at $25 for pre-orders. So, you can get SB now, and the upgrade when it comes out for the same price you were expecting to pay anyways.

Thanks, but i'm still considering it. I would like to try ACE 2's armor system and see if that can hold me over until Steel Beasts 2 or something.

Speaking as someone who has been around the ACE team for a while I can say this. The ACE armor system is not up to par against Pro PE. It is much better than default ArmA 2, however it is not a competitor to Pro PE. The FCS they added is pretty good, but still not up to par against Pro PE. Over all, ACE 2 is a step up from ArmA 2, but Pro PE is a different animal.

I know ACE 2 isn't up to par with Pro PE, ArmA 2 is definately not as "hardcore" as Pro PE.

If I decide to buy it, I might wait until the next upgrade is released. Again, thanks for all your help everyone.