Upgrade now or later?

cj95

I will say one thing about the new map.

It takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaages to load.

There is around 2Gb of data there according to Mr Plissken.

As to the Challenger 2.

The version we toyed with has ENGINE SMOKE!

But a 105mm gun, so needs a tweak here and there.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I will say one thing about the new map.

It takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaages to load.

There is around 2Gb of data there according to Mr Plissken.

That may change in the final release, but this is still not decided, so I can't say much here - except that with a faster harddisk, the loading time is not quite so bad. It really depends on the hardware, and the machines at the ITEC are already four years old, so they may not be representative for the majority of users here.

As to the Challenger 2.

The version we toyed with has ENGINE SMOKE!

But a 105mm gun, so needs a tweak here and there.

That has been changed. For the Challenger we added the L23 and L27 CHARM 1 and 3 respectively as well as L31 HESH and L34 Smoke. I must express thanks to two guys that helped us a lot, one of which doesn't want to be named, and I haven't asked the other yet either. Anyway, I'm sure that what we have is the best possible estimate that one can make about the British APFSDS rounds. Information is hard to come by ... but not impossible. :cool:

Oh, and here's the direct link to the SimHQ page.

Ive been away for a long while and have no paid for upgrades.

Im confused re the upgrades. If I buy the upgrade with the Challanger do I get all of the upgrades or only that upgrade. Reading this thread its not really clear to me :(

I'm with you on this one, I'm lost as well!

Tacbat is right. That may no longer be the case in future upgrades, but at least this time it will be possible.

So, if I didn't get lost again... (one wonders how I manage to locate myself in sims :cul:) It means, the next update will be paid, but it will have all the content of the previous one?, ie: the .400 or .460?

Correct.

Thank you!

May I make a suggestion to eSim? Major upgrades, addons, new tanks or heavy modifications, new maps or anything like that sell it as expansion packs, named appropriately. IE: War on terror expansion pack or something of the sorts.

And bug fixes be free, so as not to well...alienate the costumer from the previous patch :biggrin:

• Members

Bugfixes cannot always be separated from new content. New content cannot always be grouped into consistent add-on packages. Many so-called bugfixes actually are amendments or changes of existing features. Working on them costs time as well, and hence I have absolutely no problem charging money for it. We had three years of free updates between 2006 and 2009. I don't think one could seriously accuse us for deliberately adding in bugs just so that we can rip you a second time for their elimination.

If it feels better to you: The price is set just by the new features, and you get the bug fixes for free. Happy now?

;)

Seriously though - Add-on packages make sense for games, because they have a very limited product lifetime. SB Pro isn't one; it's being sold for seven years now (four years of Personal Edition), and if things go according to plan we'll still be here in 2017. When Microsoft releases a new office package and offers upgrades, these aren't developed from scratch. They take the same source code and refine it over and over and over again, slap on changes in the user interface or icon style, and then call it a "new" office product. And of course these "new" products include fixes for old bugs. The distinction between "free bugfixes" and new content for which one can charge money is a chimera, a convenient illusion, but an illusion nonetheless. You can pay up-front for bug fixes through a higher product price and then a few years of free updates, or you can pay for bugfixes by way of upgrades. Either way, the customer pays for it in the end, no matter what. Anything else is sweet talk to make reality more palatable.