SB Pro PE 2.5x - News

Ssnake

Nope,I know how to start one,just didn't seem to be the place as this is where the whole issue started.With that said though,It might be a good idea to start one as this seems to be a new feature that probably wasn't even an issue until now.I don't believe many (if any) even knew this was possible until ssnake mentioned it a few posts back.

edit ...done deal,started new thread.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is by far the worst update thread ever in terms of how it's going. I think in the future it might be better if these are locked and updated by the admins only. 18 pages full of suspension, T-72, connection problems... WTH? I guess I will just wait for the pdf file with update notes and stay away from this one. Dammit.

• Moderators
A question regarding the new high rise buildings:

When placed in the map editor is there an option to alter floor height for each apparment? Or combine textures?

No, and no. They are just like any other buildings. However, there is such a variety and volume of them that you will have plenty to choose from...

Seriously? Wow, I figured the hundreds of hours spent overhauling an existing vehicle counts as it being "new". Maybe next time they should just leave them all looking like the YPR until people cry about it, because we only want NEW NEW stuff!

Don't worry though, there are plenty NEW NEW vehicles I am sure. Just be patient.

No need to feel angry. Changing values and graphics or adding new ones is the almost the same thing for the people adding the code, making new sounds and graphics. But for the customer it is an improvement not something new.

I appreciate all the hard work and I look forward to use SG PE Pro 2.5x but to avoid confusion it is better if new vehicles that got an overhaul are called "improved" and vehicles that are add are called "new" even if the majority of the workinghours was used on the improved ones.

• Members

I don't know what this fuzz is about.

NEW Challenger 2

NEW M113A1

NEW T-55

NEW Apartment buildings

Ural 4320: New capability - to dismount loads of troops

The Bradley wasn't even sold as a "new" vehicle, I just mentioned it as an example for a facelift.

*Falls on floor*

Its, its a map editor's dream....

Look at all those new buildings!

*Imagines images of Leo2s rolling down urban Warsaw streets to confront the Red Horde with TCs yelling "OUT OF MY WAY, PEASANTS!"*

*Giggles with glee, turns into maniacal laughter*

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

5 smilies, you have done well eSim.

Anyway.

Crusty I feel I should point out we already have the FV432.

It just happens to be made of Aluminium and goes by the name of the M113.

And the Pizarro kinda looks like the Warrior, the age old squint a bit method.

And yes a Scimitar would be nice, but a nightmare to actually try and shoot something, Manual Mode only, still, good exercise.

*Falls on floor*

Its, its a map editor's dream....

Look at all those new buildings!

*Imagines images of Leo2s rolling down urban Warsaw streets to confront the Red Horde with TCs yelling "OUT OF MY WAY, PEASANTS!"*

*Giggles with glee, turns into maniacal laughter*

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

5 smilies, you have done well eSim.

Anyway.

Crusty I feel I should point out we already have the FV432.

It just happens to be made of Aluminium and goes by the name of the M113.

And the Pizarro kinda looks like the Warrior, the age old squint a bit method.

And yes a Scimitar would be nice, but a nightmare to actually try and shoot something, Manual Mode only, still, good exercise.

I know, at ITEC I made a small scenario with the Chally and the Pizza rolling along on the Salisbury plain map, looked really good, didn't even have to squint that hard.

The new (old) M113 without the external fuel tanks would certainly make a good 432 stand in for now

• Members

I wish SimHQ would get their thumb out..

..anyway, I think the most significant building (while every bit of additional variety is most welcome) out of the new batch is the wall - could you tell us a bit more about its properties? Can it be breached? If yes, by what means? Can infantry jump/climb over it? Will it block LOS? Weapons? Will vehicles rather try to drive around a wall or breach it? I guess it has a fixed height, or can it be scaled like plants/rocks in the map editor?

I wish SimHQ would get their thumb out..

..anyway, I think the most significant building (while every bit of additional variety is most welcome) out of the new batch is the wall - could you tell us a bit more about its properties? Can it be breached? If yes, by what means? Can infantry jump/climb over it? Will it block LOS? Weapons? Will vehicles rather try to drive around a wall or breach it? I guess it has a fixed height, or can it be scaled like plants/rocks in the map editor?

Magnum at SimHQ said the new screenshots would be up Monday.

Hey gang, long time no see.

A quick story for those of you who come more from the "gamer" side of the house than from the "sim" side of the house.

I have always been a "light" recce guy - Iltis, M113, Bison, TLAV, GWagon, Lynx etc - rather than an Coyote (LAV-25) guy. Just the way my career has played out so far. I hold a crew commander qualification, but I'm not qualified on the 25mm turret specifically.

I recently had occasion though to get some 25mm turret time. I did a couple of sessions in the turret with the sim package (under the watchful and somewhat bemused eye of the IG) and then I got some range time - 25mm and coax as both gunner and crew commander.

First I was shown where all the buttons and switches were inside the turret, and shown the proper drills and sequences to arm/fire/disarm the turret, plus the drills for stoppages etc. None of that is really in SB, but conceptually I had an idea of how that all worked because of SB.

But as soon as I was sending rounds downrange (virtual and live) - whoo, Nelly! It is EXACTLY like SB, and I have so many hours of SB "turret time" that I was immediately on target.

"Firing now!" THUMP THUMP THUMP "Drop, Firing now!" THUMP THUMP THUMP "Target, firing now!" THUMP THUMP THUMP "Target, target stop!"

Impressed the hell out of the IG....

So anyway, I'm now convinced that SB time makes you a better real-world gunner and crew commander. Not to the point where is replaces the real thing (grumble grumble ARPC grumble grumble) but certainly it build a better skillset than not having access to it.

THAT is what you are buying for your $25.

DG

• Members
..anyway, I think the most significant building (while every bit of additional variety is most welcome) out of the new batch is the wall - could you tell us a bit more about its properties? Can it be breached?

Yes.

If yes, by what means?

HEAT and HESH rounds, and vehicle collisions. Like trees, high speed collisions may take out crew members.

Can infantry jump/climb over it?

Unfortunately not. Not yet.

Will it block LOS? Weapons?

Yes and Yes, although it seems like there is a bug with wall segments that have been removed (=breaches) which still seem to return a laser echo.

Will vehicles rather try to drive around a wall or breach it?
They will drive around them, but if they happen to bump into the walls, that will breach them. At some point we have to take into account the vehicle mass and density for a better model of which vehicles may break through a wall at what minimum speed (and what the consequences will be for the vehicle)
I guess it has a fixed height

Your guess is correct, although there are different walls of different heights.

• Moderators
No need to feel angry. Changing values and graphics or adding new ones is the almost the same thing for the people adding the code, making new sounds and graphics. But for the customer it is an improvement not something new.

I appreciate all the hard work and I look forward to use SG PE Pro 2.5x but to avoid confusion it is better if new vehicles that got an overhaul are called "improved" and vehicles that are add are called "new" even if the majority of the workinghours was used on the improved ones.

Don't worry, I wasn't feeling angry. I was simply poking a little fun at the comment -- maybe I should of used a few emoticons. :)

Looks s p l e n d i d all !

One question about the infantry:

can they fire over the walls or not ?

Rgds, K

I would think you're more likely to see more complex interactions with walls like that when the infantry move from sprites. You'd have to paint new frames of animation, that looks like a pain, and only then to throw away that work once they move to 3-D infantry.

Whomever did all that work in the first place must have had a headache.

It sounded more like a "yes" to me. SB can run at 3840 X 1024 accross three screens. How much more multi-monitor support are you looking for?

We read different things from the response then. I was asking if this update, or future updates would be including the ability to simply address multi monitor issues... the answer was that you can run more than one instance of SB to get some stuff, at a performance impact (not sure how much, haven't tested it yet).

Given that lots of others on here were venting their wishes, i figured i'd have a go too. I was hoping that a simple way of getting multi monitor support (and i'm not talking about eyefinity or triplehead2go i.e. just a spread main display, but seperate info on screens) would be addressed in the future a la the DCS series (for want of a better example... another one would be falcon AF with falcon gauges)

In my case, the ability to have whatever i wanted on a second screen (map, station... whatever) would be a big bonus and being able to do it via a quick file edit or even better, an option in the game would be ideal. Loading several instances of the program to get that isn't ideal (only in my opinion).

Anyway, that's how i see it. I'm not ragging on work that Esim have done or haven't done or what they should or shouldn't be doing, just stating what i would like and think would be beneficial to the application. I haven't been around this sim or community long enough to slag it off (except for the sprites, that's a legit slag off for anyone :))... i'm still learning.

:biggrin: