SB Pro PE 2.5x - News

Ssnake

the iraqis weren't just tactically outnumbered. on the whole, they had about 1200 more tanks, but the iraqi air force was outnumbered 3 to 1.

also, they only had about 1000 T-72s, the rest were chinese T-55 knockoffs.

True. I already stated that while the Iraqis had a large army, it wasn't the same thing as local Soviet superiority isolating and attacking NATO formations. It's not as if all those T-72s were being brought to bear all at once.

Iraq's Army was big- but locally, it could not and did not fight as an army, notwithstanding Khafji, they couldn't put much together above a battalion-brigade. And when they attempted to do that, it was blind. Keep in mind that the whole Hail Mary plan routed around the planned Iraqi defenses, and the Iraqis could only react blindly on a different sense of time and space so that battles for them were simply reacting to events rather than shaping them.

Tactically, if you want to see what this is like, create a scenario and give yourself a mix of mech infantry and Leopard I tanks without TIS or automatic map updates. Make a large M1 force generate and come from some random direction- enough possible routes so that there's no way you can know where to expect it coming from. Set visibility conditions low- under this situation, if you're lucky, you might be able to fire back at some muzzle flashes. But generally, the few times where the Iraqis were able to mount a few surprises was due to a few enterprising local commanders and a mix of fratricidal environmental conditions where Coalition forces would wind up shooting up friendlies.

Even still this is hard to simulate because as the mission creator, you still have some idea of what's going to happen- the Iraqis most of the time had no idea if what they were facing was one or two platoons or the vanguard elements of some much larger force.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A bit of roger that, and tally ho. I am sure we could provide some camped up voice overs mimicking Ed Fox and etc from a bridge to far!!!!

:)

"Remember what the general said; we're the cavalry. It would be bad form to arrive in advance of schedule. In the nick of time would do nicely." Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur

A very British response! ;)

BTW, I'll be out of office from Tuesday for about a week, but will still send the daily update. Don't worry. :)

It might have been interesting to see people’s reactions if you’d said there wouldn’t be an update for a week.

Seems like its really 20 days before Christmas and we are all around 9. :)

Of course if we could pre-order this drip feed of updates probably wouldn’t be needed. :D

:)

"Remember what the general said; we're the cavalry. It would be bad form to arrive in advance of schedule. In the nick of time would do nicely." Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur

A very British response! ;)

Yes and if any German were to find you they’d assume from your dress that you were a wandering Irish peasant and immediately let you go.

Just read Ssnake's post over at Tank-Net:

"We added a ton of new building models as shown in the videos (see above) and also here in the screenshot gallery. One of the biggest game changers probably is the addition of walls, both collapsible and impenetrable as well as ... well, I'll keep that as a little surprise for last. It's really super. :wub: "

Hmmm... curious. ;)

Yes and if any German were to find you they’d assume from your dress that you were a wandering Irish peasant and immediately let you go.

Always dress with eccentricity - Pipe smoking umbrella carrying British officers - love it. USMC loved my pipe smoking on Op TELIC 1.

Ssnake,

I asked this a few days ago, but you were understandably distracted!

With the new software which drastically speeds up creation of new vehicles, is it likely that new vehicles will be made available post-2.5, pre the next update, and if so will there be a charge for them?

Along the same lines, will this software ever be made available for open-use (similar to the MS Flight Simulator, for instance)?

In terms of increasing the depth of the simulation, particularly if building models could also be made rapidly, the SB environment could really explode with new things.

Cheers.

• Members

"We added a ton of new building models as shown in the videos (see above) and also here in the screenshot gallery. One of the biggest game changers probably is the addition of walls, both collapsible and impenetrable as well as ... "

..inflatable?

“Hello 0 this is 9A over”

Forget the RTP just give me:

Loaded

Fire!

Firing NOW!

instead of:

Up

on the way!

“9A out“

Apparently the 'now' has been deleted from the verbiage when firing CR2. The computer delay whilst it waits for the perfect coincidence between sight and gun can be over a second long, so the gunner presses and holds down the trigger upon the end of 'firing'.

Of course, they also call it 'fin', not 'sabot'...

NTM

Engineering equipment? Earth mover? Hole diggers? Bigger bridges?...better defensive potions? Helos moving troops? Really hoping for a tactical element beyond walls or civil cars. Loving the new artwork, so happy! And the new vehicles mind blowing! That would be enough for me right now!

The machine doesn't have to be that beefy. A modern gaming computer is enough (from the minimum and recommended specs). The price I have no idea, but since they don't aim for regular mortals but for companies I reckon it will hurt. But even so, that piece of software seems pretty sweet.

I've had a quick look into this and yes while the machine to run it doesn't need to be a Cray it does cost about AUD$30,000 per seat and you need a fair few inputs.

From what I can find out it isn't quite as easy as scan a map, wait 30 min and hey presto you have a SB Pro terrain file ready to go.