Ssnake

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
I was just thinking - wouldn't it be great to hear us Brits on the radios when talking to the Challengers! :)

Guess that would be a lot of work though.

Not THAT difficult. Assemble a team of maybe seven to nine fellow Britons to record voices. Let me know what you have them, and we'll send you detailed instructions. I'd be happy to create a British localization for you. We could just as well have a Canadian English version, eh. Or Kiwi Speak.

• Members
With the new software which drastically speeds up creation of new vehicles, is it likely that new vehicles will be made available post-2.5, pre the next update, and if so will there be a charge for them?

We haven't even begun to think about it, let alone come to a decision. Let us get 2.5 out of the door first.

Along the same lines, will this software ever be made available for open-use (similar to the MS Flight Simulator, for instance)?

I wouldn't rule it out but remain skeptical. The market is too small to pose a financial incentive for a third party to develop a decent add-on that would satisfy our quality demands. That leaves hobbyists. I've invited them before to submit to us their creations and if they are any good, we'll incorporate them. So far there haven't been any takers. Seriously, each model is A LOT of work which must be very thoroughly tested for texturing, proper animations, across all three LODs, must not have seams, etc.

This will easily frustrate a hobbyist.

Professionals are those talended hobbyists that can work fast enough that cranking out models allows them to make more money with it than what they need for their upkeep while they are making them.

Not THAT difficult. Assemble a team of maybe seven to nine fellow Britons to record voices. Let me know what you have them, and we'll send you detailed instructions. I'd be happy to create a British localization for you. We could just as well have a Canadian English version, eh. Or Kiwi Speak.

Sounds like a good idea to me! :)

I've seen a number of Brits on the forums these past few weeks. Perhaps we could all record some of the required speech?

It would be rather cool to hear yourself in the sim too! ;)

I'd be up for it :)

Excellent!

Ssnake, can you give us a rough idea of what would be expected regarding the voices?

Do we all record the same script and then you choose various voices to fit, or do we only record certain bits that are put together at the end?

Any particular voice/recording quality? I have Sennheiser headphones with an attached microphone, would that be sufficient?

Cheers,

Quagmire

• Members
Ssnake, can you give us a rough idea of what would be expected regarding the voices?

The idea is that each voice actor will record the lines of a specific crew member or radio voice, so that if the player can hear several voices he can immediately recognize "this was the driver", "this was the company commander", ...

You will get an Excel spreadsheet that contains all the lines, separated into different worksheets for each different role. Naturally there are some that have a lot more to record than others.

You should record every entry at least three times.

Try to be somewhat terse, try to convey tension in your report (but not panic, with a possible exception for messages like "we just lost a vehicle", "we lost another vehicle", or "permission to retreat".

Avoid profanity (morality and good manners aside - it gets repetitive and annoying after a very short time).

Be aware of voice fatigue. Take a break between recording sessions.

Try to avoid a room with noticeable hall.

Headsets are just fine. We'll mangle all recordings to add a bit of noise, and filters, so that they sound as if they are coming from a radio set. Try to keep a recoding level at about 75%.

Thanks for the infor Ssnake,

Try to avoid a room with noticeable hall.

That might be a bit of a problem here. My place is very 'echoey' - wooden flooring, high ceilings etc. It's noticeable even when using a phone.

Another thing, I'm not serving in the military but I'm willing to give it a go! Although it may come across as more of a 'tally-ho chaps' recording! :)

Quagmire

Thanks for the infor Ssnake,

That might be a bit of a problem here. My place is very 'echoey' - wooden flooring, high ceilings etc. It's noticeable even when using a phone.

Another thing, I'm not serving in the military but I'm willing to give it a go! Although it may come across as more of a 'tally-ho chaps' recording! :)

Quagmire

I'm not serving military either, if we have enough uk military types to do it great, but I think that might not be the case

I'd be happy to create a British localization for you. We could just as well have a Canadian English version, eh. Or Kiwi Speak.

Sorry if this is a daft question, does having a localised version mean we will only hear those voices, or will they be in addition to the others on the battlefield?

So in theory we could hear the Americans in M1's and Brits in Challengers - along with other accents too, rather than them all being Brits, or all American (like now)?

Quagmire

Sorry if this is a daft question, does having a localised version mean we will only hear those voices, or will they be in addition to the others on the battlefield?

So in theory we could hear the Americans in M1's and Brits in Challengers - along with other accents too, rather than them all being Brits, or all American (like now)?

Quagmire

You'all will get used to it, I have,dam near a yank now. I might be considered a alien when I return home from this place.

Remember: Where ever you go, that's where you are!:debile2:

• Members

It'll be just like a different language option (essentially, it is), at least initially.

• Members
My place is very 'echoey' - wooden flooring, high ceilings etc. It's noticeable even when using a phone.

Tapestry can help a lot. Okay, few people have homes with a Gobelin, let alone several of them, but you could try and hang up a few woolen blankets to absorb some of the echo, as an example. Generally, try a room with a lot of (upholstered) furniture, another good echo dampener. Avoid bathrooms and marble floor halls.

"Potions"?

Coming from a Columbian that could be a bit scary (if it wasn't the typo of "positions" that I presume it was). :D

The unforgivable thing is ‘I am a Brit’ sorry about that chaps! No longer hanging in Colombia. Now in Mexico!

Sounds like a good idea to me! :)

I've seen a number of Brits on the forums these past few weeks. Perhaps we could all record some of the required speech?

It would be rather cool to hear yourself in the sim too! ;)

Weel if ya needs a Scots accent ah wid be up fer it :biggrin:

Hmm, a unit for a surprise...

What about the Spanish? Didn't you want to make the Centauro playable?

Maybe that's the surprise. Or in case of a new unit maybe a BMR? I think it had been discussed.

----

Yeah, preferring to introduce the M60A2 before the A1 and A3 would be like... ahh, you probably know what I wanted to say...

But of course an A2 in a later update would be nice. I would be very interested in testing the impact of a few 152mm-missiles on the battlefield.:biggrin:

It's just a very interesting concept and such exceptions are always interesting, because some of them may prove themselves to be usefull in some circumstances.:)

----

And now the T-62 and the M60! I think this will be a new era of SB in my live then. :eek2:

Sad, that there is always not enough time for creating scenarios and playing battle after battle.

I think 2.5 will be just great!

I want to preorder right now!

• Members

Today's special is the Lemur remote weapon station, shown here on a variety of vehicles. It was pretty fun to play with at the ITEC, and the one or other video has shown it in action already (your shooting needs some improvement though, Daskal). ;)

I think it will play best with a programmable joystick where you can map all the hotkeys to the stick buttons though. You could see in the ITEC video that the Lemur control handles are almost identical to the CV90/35's with a plethora of buttons. That makes it convenient in real life, but slightly more complicated with mouse and keyboard.

Maybe the beta testers can inject a few of their observations here.