SB Pro PE 2.5x - News

Ssnake

• Members
A question on the lemur.....

Now is it something that some troops shooting rifles at it will break it [camera or turret system] and then you got a PC with an unusable gun or is there a manual firing mode like on the M113 commander position and shoot with iron sights?

There is no manual mode for it, but the Lemur actually is one of the very few RWSs on the market that have at least some rudimentary armor applied which increases its robustness to withstand at least artillery fragments and bullets with only little residual power.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Needless to say that Murphy picked the by far most inopportune moment to attack my main computer. I'm struggling with various attempts to recover the system since last Tuesday and am working from the Notebook at the moment. So a basic level of operational readiness is retained, and it won't affect the release date of SB Pro PE, but just so you know why, for example, daily news may be delayed or so.

Unfortunately a cornerstone for the release could not be finished yet. The guys are working on it full power and there's still reason to believe that August 21 will remain the release date. I just don't know if Murphy is following a more elaborate battleplan and my mishaps are the mere overture to a shitstorm, or if it is just the expression of his general chaotic evil attitude. ;)

Good luck getting your system sorted out Ssnake. I must say, I love the following sentence! :)

I just don't know if Murphy is following a more elaborate battleplan and my mishaps are the mere overture to a shitstorm, or if it is just the expression of his general chaotic evil attitude. ;)

• Members

Just seven more hours and the databackup is complete. I can then start to reinstall Windows, lose my last working Photoshop license, and the restore the data. Fortunately my presence isn't needed while the computers slave away. Should ACDSee decide to respond in the next minutes (no, it does not), I might even be able to convert a few screenshots and upload them to the gallery (tomorrow it'll be, then).

But I don't want to depend on it, so Yes, I can confirm what others already suspected - that the Eagle IV is the last remaining playable vehicle that is new in 2.538 - with or without Lemur RWS, with driver's position etc.

That being said, I think there's still one major news item waiting. I've been working on it over the last few days so to bring it to the best looking state possible before Al has to send the DVD to the factoring for the Gold Master (which will be today).

More about that tomorrow.

Yes.

I'm a mean bastard. :sonic:

OMG.... i just now started the screen shots... no other reads other than that. i'm so excited, i'm teary eyed. i think this deserves a toast! then i'm goona cry for joy some more. am i a weak man? is this fruit of our sacrifices in the name of the_List?

p.s. oscar's first post didn't even curb my excitement. now THAT's something ;)

OMG.... i just now started the screen shots... no other reads other than that. i'm so excited, i'm teary eyed. i think this deserves a toast! then i'm goona cry for joy some more. am i a weak man? is this fruit of our sacrifices in the name of the_List?

p.s. oscar's first post didn't even curb my excitement. now THAT's something ;)

If you like the screenshots can I suggest the four(?) YouTube videos created to date.

If you like the screenshots can I suggest the four(?) YouTube videos created to date.

oooo, looks like i need to do some searching. :) Thanks Gibson. i wasn't even done with them when i posted that -- just finished. frigin apartment buildings, and comms towers and buildings...hangars...T-55, frigin' Challey.... where do i stop? how many models of the T-72? A M-60? a new M113-A1? and these new building types open up so many frigin scenario possibilities and fixes so many awkward looking maps and thus refreshing existing scenarios -- i don't know where to begin to describe how awesome all of this is.

thanks Gibson. wow... an SEP to boot! loving the 113 FO and it's about time we had the wiesel -- BLUFOR needs an air-deliverable AFV, even if it weighs in as little as my Volvo. ;)

Ssnake always keeps something up his sleeve. i cannot wait to see what it is.

yup, and i saw the T62... Golan Heights, here we come!

• Members
Ssnake always keeps something up his sleeve. i cannot wait to see what it is.

If you can't wait, come and have a look.

Spent the last days with the beautification of the Terrastan map. Of course this runs contrary to the idea of correlated terrain, but makes it prettier to look at. Some already posted a video from TerraSim's, and for those of you who missed it or dismissed it because they didn't think they would get anything from this, here's another chance to watch them. Pay special attention to the "correlated terrain" bits.

Okay, now clean up that mess with a Kleenex, willya.

What's really cool about those TerraSim guys is that not only they gave us a sample piece of terrain and worked pretty hard to make it work properly with SB Pro, the thing that fascinates me most is that they have found a way for the procedural generation of cities!

In other words, you don't need an army of 3D modellers to generate urban terrain, or to repeat the same building primitives over and over again. You can have geospecific maps with buildings that have the same footprints and the same orientation and interior rooms without having to build each building model by hand. Awesome.

Unfortunately, the map suits at the moment mostly as nice scenery and as a performance test as the exporter from TerraSim is currently missing two crucial elements. It doesn't automatically assign armor values to the walls, and it doesn't add blank frames that are needed for infantry to find entrances and firing positions.

Make no mistake, we will update this map as soon as these two points have been addressed, and the TerraSim guys are working on it, at which point this village is probably going to be THE urban combat map for at least everybody who can run it with a reasonable frame rate. Which is probably everybody - that's the other good news. This spring we started with frame rates around one or two fps. Al then ventured to find ways to improve SB Pro's performance with terrain that involved many, and densely packed buildings, and lo and behold, the framerate increased by a factor of ten minimum, and up to twenty. Another wonderful moment, I can tell you.

So all your other maps involving many buildings are going to profit from that as well - expect significant improvements whenever buildings are involved. :cool:

And Yes: This collaboration with TerraSim - and Calytrix Technologies - is driven by the desire of our customers to combine several simulations in one exercise. And who knows what may happen to our commercial releases, once that the technology has matured sufficiently (we're coming closer but aren't quite there yet, IMO). Of course it takes two to tango, but at least eSim won't be the obstacle to setting up joint gameservers one day.

• Members

Data saving is still going on for a few more hours, but thanks to the modern marvel of preemptive multitasking file copy operations can be done in the background. ;)

You can recognize all notebook made screenshots by their 1680x1050 format, and the absence of Photoshop by the small edge of the AAR control dialog box in the lower right corner. ;)