Multi monitor Multi instance set up on 1 computer

Raven434th

I've tried to do this based on ssnakes instructions posted in the news thread for the next upgrade.It was in the context of "triplehead to go"but ssnake had mentioned that this was something that could be done pre upgrade without triplehead gear.Didn't work for me thouogh as I failed to get past the join screen(can't get to assembly area)All ports are open and confirmed,running in extended mode,two instances and two monitors showing as running,no go on the joining screen.Has anyone else tried this and if they were sucessful could you post exactly what happened to allow it to work?.I have to wonder if resolutions are the problem.Do both monitors have to run at same res maybe?

Hello raven434th, just so you know, SBPro PE was coded to be able to use more then one monitor a while back. Here is a link to that thread. The specific information can be found on page 3. I'm going to try out the dual instance of running SB in a networked situation from one computer, I'll post my results.

OK I tried out Chaplain's suggestion. It worked for me. However I was using only one monitor but ran both the host and client in windowed mode. I manually resized both screens so that the host had max screen area and the client had minimum area. I went into observers position on client and brought up the map. It was a little strange but the Sim centered itself in each new window size, real cool. I will try this out on my plasma tomorrow with the television being the host and the LCD on my laptop the client, with a 65" home theater set up and sound output on high it should bring the riot police. If it works my Wife will kill me lol

• Moderators

What I have done in the past is the following:

1) Open SB up twice, put one windows instance on one monitor and one on the other.

2) On the host instance, set it up as Host and have it go all the way to the Assembly Area.

3) On the client instance, set it up as Client, and in the IP box where it says "leave this blank if on a LAN" -- leave it blank / empty.

4) Delete the port number.

It works for me doing that, but maybe you are trying something else.

Edited by Volcano
clarification

Port number deletion??...I'll try that today,could be the problem.Other than that I'm doing exactly what everyone else is doing from the looks of it.

EDIT:

OK,got it working.Heres what I had to do.

1)most important is making sure the port number range is set properly in your router.SOME routers only need to open the port number as 2300,while others need it as inputed as a range ie 2300-2300,not just as 2300.

2)set up as host and remove the port number in the port slot(maybe optional depending on router/port setup),pick your session and unlock the crew positions.

3)open another instance of the game,rename the user to something other than the hosts name as not to conflict.

4)join session as client

5)bingo,should work.If it don't, well hell if I know why.

The router has to do with client/host setups in general,not necessarily to do this,But by default to do any sort of multi connection,that set up has to happen or it won't connect with my router type.So its set up regardless in my case.Wheither it becomes a factor for multi instance is an unknown for me,as I haven't tried it disabled.It just made sense to leave it be as its still a host/client scenerio,and my LAN is generated through the router, and not direct,to connect to the other computers.So wheither or not its a factor was anyones guess at the time.Apples and oranges?...maybe.

Edited by Raven434th

OK I tried out Chaplain's suggestion. It worked for me. However I was using only one monitor but ran both the host and client in windowed mode. I manually resized both screens so that the host had max screen area and the client had minimum area. I went into observers position on client and brought up the map. It was a little strange but the Sim centered itself in each new window size, real cool. I will try this out on my plasma tomorrow with the television being the host and the LCD on my laptop the client, with a 65" home theater set up and sound output on high it should bring the riot police. If it works my Wife will kill me lol

I tried it with 2 monitors as well,but the second monitor didn't get any updated data.The screens stayed static.Ie,no map update on position.It wasn't until I draged the window back onto the main monitor ,did it update,but as soon as you drag it back it goes static again.Worked fine with 1 monitor though.Try running 3 instances on 1 screen ,gets interesting then.

Ah...I think I know what you mean.I'll try to do a task in a separate app,ie photoshop or 3d studiomax to see if it infact is an issue.Could be that catalist dropped that function since I last used those apps.

EDIT...If I open photoshop,slide the tools over to the other monitor ,I can use them just as if they were on the main screen.So I'm not sure if this is what your referring to,but it looks like its able to "focus" or "task" in this mode.Just won't do it in SB.