SB Anti-Frustration Kit (Newbie Guide)

Hell_Hound

So the anti-frustration kit is under construction at

http://www.29tharmor.com/Resources/AFKPro/index.htm

I'm chipping away at the tactics section, and painfully aware that it needs more material and preferably some submissions from wiser tread heads than I. Please take a look and critique/suggest/contribute at will.

If you don't, newbies will be going out there with only my knowledge to guide them.

:exclam: :o :exclam:

PS: As with SB2, I'm working on content before cosmetics - I'll polish the visual presentation once I'm satisfied that there's nothing incorrect or patently stupid in there. So aside from that, critique/suggest/contribute at will. :D

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ref the multiplayer and online play ...There is a mistake in the para. to the right of the first graphic...

(If you're playing over the internet, leave the Port box blank and click Go.)

This is incorrect.... As this screen must have an IP address inserted in order to " connect" to the host.

In most if not all session's I would normally open the SB multiplayer screen and then drop it to the task bar, (Alt/Tab) [just for the newbies] while in chat waiting for a game IP. Once the game ip has been posted (good to write this down at this time), make sure its "OK" for you to join this session (ask). As it may be a preplanned session between various teams. After the ok, then close all other internet activity...as in ICQ or any chat software, as well as other virus software [sometimes its ok], leave the SB chat session[dissconnect option/ or change the player name to something to advise others that your "in Game"), Have found that the disconnect is the best "bandwidth wise", and open the SB multiplayer(at the task bar) insert the game ip and wait for the host connection.

Allow the mission to load if you don't have it installed, find out if there is any certain vehicle/s you should "take" ( all this using the bottom chat area/ "enter" to activate and send)

Think thats all, as you seem to have all the other info avail. ... Ps: good show with the info ..so far. Hope this makes it to E-Sim after it's all completed...as it would be a very good addition on the SB2 CD if there's not already something similar. As a reference to older versions of the game.

All for now. ..... 9erRed ..... out

Think thats all, as you seem to have all the other info avail. ... Ps: good show with the info ..so far. Hope this makes it to E-Sim after it's all completed...as it would be a very good addition on the SB2 CD if there's not already something similar. As a reference to older versions of the game.

All for now. ..... 9erRed ..... out

Here..here.. 9erRed.. and I too want to say.."Well done" HH :thumbup:

Ls ;)

Thanks 9er, I've never had any connect problems so I would have forgotten to mention the XP firewall thing and the virus protection thing.

In my case, the host's number goes in the IP window and the Port window is left empty - works every time. If anyone has experience with quirks or problems with LAN games or with dial-up, please share 'em with me.

Pretty please. :D

Greetings, And another note ref. the multiplayer sessions.

In selecting the Option for "allow others to enterthis tank" ..Not withstanding any of the other debates ref. accessability during the game. The option may cause many problems if the "NO" is selected and the owning player is "dropped" from the server during game play, this will cause all of his units to be defalted to the next higher formation commander and the vehicles may be "Locked Out" to this player. ( So enough said on that )

Now another note on the IP address of the hosting computer. If the host is "New" at hosting and has a brand new high speed connection, there may be two (read 2) IP's displayed at the multiplayer screen. Normally this is a result of having installed SB while on an older dialup system then upgrading to high speed, you will now see 2 IP's avail.(although only one will work) The remidy for this is to check the connection display back on your desktop[down by the clock]. Just hold the mouse over the connection display and your correct IP will be displayed. Also sometimes there is a "firewall" IP given as you had mentioned before. Ran into this problem while using RW from a player computer and hosting from another, but thats another whole story in itself and is no longer a concern with the SB Voice Chat Server avail.

Now speaking of the RW server, HH you may want to address the setup of a voice option for ingame play. The players bandwidth not withstanding, Say from the "adjust" then "Configure" area. Strictly an additional option as the SB2 Sim. has this info built in. (I seem to remember hearing that?)

Well anyway it goes like this: Under the Configure button,

1st screen "select the Wav. recording" not the direct sound as wav is compatable with more soundcards.(after its working you can try the direct sound to see if theres any better quality)

2nd screen Audio device selection "under playback" DO NOT SELECT primary sound device but the other option which should be your sound card. "under record device" same deal as the playback. Also checkoff the autoselect mike.

3rd screen Test mike settings "follow the instructions on screen" There is also a System Settings button, from that selection two things will happen at once the Record settings will pop up and the RW sound web page will start to open. Close the webpage and confirm that the "mike" is selected on the Record settings pop up, close the pop up and see the volumn pop up screen is there also, make sure that the "mike" volumn is set about 3/4 setting and now check off the MUTE box at the bottom of the setting. (Other wise the mike will be LIVE all the time and cause feedback as well as an ECHO for all other players)

4th screen select full duplex (if option is avail) as this allows 2 way traffic.

5th screen enter you selection for a "Transmitt Key" ( have found F12 or the scroll lock key works fine)

6th screen enter your callsign (this will be what's displayed on the RW screen)

Last screen is your confirmation screen that displays all your settings. If it's all ok then your good to go and should now work correctly for all players. Only setting now is the Mike and Speaker volumn to be set when you get connected, and your as I said "Good to Go"

Well I'm done ...and I need another coffee...hope this helps all the RW newbies to get connected and stay alive. 9erRed ..... out

In selecting the Option for "allow others to enterthis tank" ..Not withstanding any of the other debates ref. accessability during the game. The option may cause many problems if the "NO" is selected and the owning player is "dropped" from the server during game play, this will cause all of his units to be defalted to the next higher formation commander and the vehicles may be "Locked Out" to this player.

This sounds like a possible design "bug". It shouldn't be possible for the owner of a unit to be locked out of it regardless of how they came to own it. Ssnake...?

The option may cause many problems if the "NO" is selected and the owning player is "dropped" from the server during game play, this will cause all of his units to be defalted to the next higher formation commander and the vehicles may be "Locked Out" to this player.

This sounds like a possible design "bug". It shouldn't be possible for the owner of a unit to be locked out of it regardless of how they came to own it. Ssnake...?

Skip.. I think (and I could be wrong) but, what happens is that, if a player who has A Units, and has "locked" his tanks and then gets dropped (or quits), his "A" units transfer to the next highest command Co, say.. "B" Company, however, they remain "locked" to all other non B company players.. Say"C" company.. they cannot get into those transfered units from A company that now become part of B company..

I may be wrong on this.. but it's my best guess.. because I have had units transfered to me (as second highest in command) from a player who dropped and his units where locked, but I could get into all of them.

Bottom line.. "don't lock your units up".. not good for the "team"

Righto - RW will get mentioned in the Goodies section, and perhaps I'll put a "click here to see why" link in the section about locking tanks. Etiquette will probably get its own section, because the AFK is about reducing our frustration too, not just the newbies'. ;)

PS: Somebody else please write stuff for the tactics section. The way I've been playing lately, I feel like a fool and a charlatan trying to tell newbies how to fight!

Skip.. I think (and I could be wrong) but, what happens is that, if a player who has A Units, and has "locked" his tanks and then gets dropped (or quits), his "A" units transfer to the next highest command Co, say.. "B" Company, however, they remain "locked" to all other non B company players.. Say"C" company.. they cannot get into those transfered units from A company that now become part of B company..

I may be wrong on this.. but it's my best guess.. because I have had units transfered to me (as second highest in command) from a player who dropped and his units where locked, but I could get into all of them.

Bottom line.. "don't lock your units up".. not good for the "team"

Ok, so from your scenario, since ownership of the abandoned units went to the "B" Company CO, he/she could then go in and "unlock" them (if, of course, he/she realizes that this has happened)? That would let the problem be resolved, but of course the new problem would then be how would the "B" Company CO know that the units have been abandoned and now belong to him. (This is a little like any scientific field you'd care to pick: find one answer and, in the process, uncover new questions :))

A note here for "Skip"

Ref. the new player gaining control of someone elses veh's (as in the original owner has dropped) ... there will be a msg. displayed at the bottom of the screen ..in RED I recall that a player(with name) has dropped. At this time it is advisable for each player to check the map(F5) and see who has just inherited the new c/s's. [defaults to next higher command]...sometimes this can go unnoticed for quite a while, in the heat of the battle. And the other players would not see any difference to the icons on the map if they now belong to someone else.!! [note if everyonce in awhile you check the top menu and see who the players still are, and where they are currently riding at.(c/s)]

If the new owning player see's they (new veh's) are his, is is now a scramble to either move the new vehicles out of harms way or handoff some to the remaining players. This is why the use of RW will come in very handy, as after a few handoff's the receiving players announce the vehicles are "locked" they have to go back to the original defaulted player.(as in before the handoff) If the vehicle is in a "locked state" it cannot be unlocked from inside the game.[only have that option in the assembly area]...

Maybe an option for SB2 will be the ability to disable the lockout if the original owning player is dropped. We'll see what new options are or will be added or modified as more info on SB2 is dribbled out to the feeding crowds.....

end of note ..... 9erRed ..... out

Ok, so from your scenario, since ownership of the abandoned units went to the "B" Company CO, he/she could then go in and "unlock" them (if, of course, he/she realizes that this has happened)? That would let the problem be resolved, but of course the new problem would then be how would the "B" Company CO know that the units have been abandoned and now belong to him. (This is a little like any scientific field you'd care to pick: find one answer and, in the process, uncover new questions :))

Couple of things first.. when a player drops.. on my screen in the chat window in left bottom corner.. the persons name shows up in "green" saying "Lonestar has left the session"

If you miss that (as 9erRed said).. chk the map on a regular basis if not engaged.. and you'll notice any units that have been given to you.. appear dark blue like your own do when you start out.. However, once a person has chosen "NO" to let people in their tanks, I can't change it.. its done.. however.. you can still give "any" unit to anyone on your team.. which gives that person "full" control over that givin unit.. but as far as anyone outside my unit.. say B company, like from C company .. can only go virtual in the closed units I recieved.. (I think)..

I will try an experiment and find out "THE TRUTH"... and let you know.. LOL LS ;)

ShotMagnet, I'll be happy to get both of those files. PlainText would be best so I can drop them straight into an HTML file, and the images can be .jpg, .gif or .png.

If you've already started writing in another format, no big deal, just send that. I can strip the formatting off easily enough.

PS: Somebody else please write stuff for the tactics section. The way I've been playing lately, I feel like a fool and a charlatan trying to tell newbies how to fight!

HH.. if you can.. feel free to copy some of the tactical and learning hints I posted in this forum back on page 6.. I think 4 of them would or could be of help... IMHO

Ls :yltype:

LS -

Do you mean the ones like "Stab knocked out - don't lose your head" and so on?

I had those in mind - was trying to decide if I should link to them in this forum or copy the text into one big file with links to help people find stuff. I'm inclined to copy them so the AFK can be an all-in-one reference.

ShotMagnet's doing a couple pieces too - so there might be hope yet... :)

LS -

Do you mean the ones like "Stab knocked out - don't lose your head" and so on?

HH.. yes, and the "Walk before you run" piece.. I feel that those in that order really gave me a strong foundation to enter Online MP.. IMHO

Sorry I can't do any of the copying etc.. but I haven't a clue to cut and paste etc.. just know how to turn PC on and off and read and send emails.. Sad.. I know.. lol

Ls ;)

PS.. If I get any more inspirational drives on tactics or hints, I'll write some more.. let me know where to post them or email too.. etc..

• Administrators
No worries, I'll pull those posts out. (Haven't got much done today - had to supervise the Chem 30 diploma exam.)

Any future stuff could be mailed to jasonfahy@hotmail.com, or just post it here and let me know I'm free to steal it. Your name will live forever on my credits page. :D

They are also copied the the section/tips area of the site.

Ok, the preliminary version of the newbie guide is up at

http://www.jfahy.net/SteelBeasts/SBafkwelcome.htm

Critiques and submissions remain welcome, etc, etc.

HH.. very impressive! Even the color ie type and background.. and ease of navigation, and teaching tools and examples, ie pictures.. Hell.. even I might learn how to skin and such..

WELL DONE.. :thumbup:

OK.. under 'finding an online game..'

1) Cut/Paste will work in SB. I just highlight the IP addy in my mIRC client which automatically copies the IP address to the clipboard, and fire up SB, activate the cursor in the target IP box and hit CTRL-V to paste.

2) AA can also stand for Archangel. (Glory be to His name..)

3) Selecting a vehicle with the second number being -2, at least for American units, gives you command of a two-tank section.

Under tactics/don't lose the head.. GPS and/Or TIS can come back online? Never seen it.

Under tactics/users guide for smoke: "Every tank in your platoon has smoke grenades and a smoke generator." I defy you to find the smoke generator on a Leopard.

Also, it may be worth pointing out that thick smoke can affect LRF performance. i.e. it sometimes won't penetrate. Keep in mind. For those of us who spend almost all our time in a TIS view, sometimes we're completely ignorant of a smoke barrier simply because we can't see it. If the LRF range comes up a 0000, or if your rounds inexplicably keep falling short, switch to natural view and make sure there's no smoke between you and the target.

And the hint of my own.. The trick to survival is SCAN!!! Burn out those turret motors, scan quickly, scan often. If you see a hotspot, swing back, focus in on it, try to ID through thermals and natural view. If it's a position that you can't ID it (such as just being able to see a roadwheel deep in trees), lase, take note of range and bearing, flip to map (F-5) view, and see if your team has a live vehicle in the area. If not, shoot at it, even if there's supposed to be a killed tank there. Sometimes people will use dead tanks as 'cover' to confuse you. Worst that'll happen is you use up a sabot round. Frequently, you kill a 'reserve' enemy tank.

NTM

NTM

• Members

Another point worth mentioning might be that the default realism and difficulty settings are "high", hereby posing an unnecessarily steep challenge to the beginner (SB2 will correct that, I've finally taken care of it). So, for the learning period, one may want to tone it down, it's difficult enough without it.

Also, I think that both in "medium" settings are adequate. If you're into masochism and out for a punishment (and, potentially, an increasingly more rewarding victory), you can increase the challenge still. ;)

3Star - thanks - I was rushing and didn't proofread like I wanted to. Those things will be corrected tonight or tomorrow.

And I'll mention the difficulty/realism settings. I'd almost forgotten they were there; when I got the game I set them both on High and haven't touched them since.

Buying SB and setting the realism on Low is like buying a Ferrari so you can sit in it and listen to the radio. :)