SB Anti-Frustration Kit (Newbie Guide)

Hell_Hound

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's probably better than moving my left hand away from p, space, m and n and the right hand off the mouse just to switch to TIS on or off. But at least I've got a brand spanking new keychart to whip the AI with!! Woohooo! Too bad I've got nearly two hours more left of yet another boring military-day stuck in my office :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

The Goodies section of the AFK has been updated to link to the Skins and Mods sections of the Downloads area, and the SBSkinner stuff is mostly sorted out...although the instructions still imply that you have to do the add_skin step. I'll fix that soon.

Also to be added are battlecom documentation, and a blurb about difficulty and realism.

Could somebody do me a favor and make a list of all the maps that come with v.1.15? I want to get a comprehensive list of the "extra" maps and start chasing them down...

I'm going to have to play a few games on low realism - I have no idea what it's like grin.gif

Could somebody do me a favor and make a list of all the maps that come with v.1.15? I want to get a comprehensive list of the "extra" maps and start chasing them down...

Sure:

Adamsok / Flat. Really.

Arlingtonnt / Extremely hilly, mountaineous

Coebrunva / hilly, lotsa variety

Cromptonri / similar, smaller hills

cumb / long, large river, many hills

Daltonky / few extremely steep hills, large flats /

Deepriverct / Flat area, river, coastal area, hills dominate the south

Dix / few dominating hills, flat. Rivers.

Hammonton / Flat

Hastyco / LARGE lake, dam, waterfall. Interesting

Hazelsd / Volcanos ? mostly flat, few dominating, steel hills

Knox / Large river system, canyons

Laxga / Flat, funny. lots of rivers

LittleChicagoWi / mostly flat, few dominating hills

Louannar / lots of variety, river with lots of swamp

Lowndesboroal / similar to Louannar

Planoil / Flat. River. 3 or four dominating hills

Speednc / Flat. Really flat. River

Websterfl / partially coarse, large parts are FLAT.

Wolf / gentle, rolling hills of low height. Similar to nothern Germany

That help? :D

Shall I zip them over to you?

They don't call me mapman for nothing!

LOL HH! Low Realism?! We have that?! lol, Just kidding. I have seen the setting...never set it that way myself. Started on hard. I normally do with games so that I don't get accustomed to the niceties and AI-handicaps. BUT I can tell you this about that setting HH: drop reference points on the map, and if 2.26 allows you to do so, change their colors. When you are in the tank (F6, F7, F8) you will see a sybol near your tank heading indicator in the color of the map reference point you dropped.

It is a great way to figre out the most accurate lay on a enemy unit detecte by other forces you cannot see but want to manuever against. It could be used for lots of things in addition to waypoints for new players etc to get around the terrain if they are having trouble associating what the map is showing them to what they see in the "real world" of SB. I've seen this in MP games way back when and I couldn't figure out what was going on for the first couple times, then really liked it, but it got phased out of MP for the most part. I nevr see it anymore.

drop reference points on the map, and if 2.26 allows you to do so, change their colors.

When you are in the tank (F6, F7, F8) you will see a symbol near your tank heading indicator in the color of the map reference point you dropped.

Another one, I think, is when you're in the M1 overriding the gun, there's some kind of marker thingy that shows you the point of aim, and

When you lase something, a mark appears on the map where the laser return came from. (?)

Damn Mapman...you lived up to your name in spades! I have not seen a compilation of the different map types yet. Looks like a first to me. I could have used this over the past couple of years, LOL. Thanks!

I humbly can not claim "real credit" for this. When I saw the initial request (above) I went to look at the map/terrain directory (from recently purchased/installed SB disk) and low and behold, there was a txt file named "Terrain Characterization".

So I copied, pasted and became a hero!

Glad to help!! :D

If everyone already knows this feature, please forgive the redundancy :!:

As many of you know, while checking out line of site (LOS) on the map during the pre-planning stages, one may hit the F1 key for a 360 degree view of the terrain.

With the patches came view mobility. I was pleased to read in the patch Readme.txt file that I could now hit W to go forward, X to back up, A to move left (mouse/arrow keys or JoyStick to TURN), and the D key to move right.

Holding the SHIFT key while holding the above keys allows you to get there FAST.

This made finding just the right BP (Battle Position) easier and then, when returning to the map, I was able to place a check point at Just the Right BP!

Now for what is REALLY COOL!

I discovered last night that if I press the Q key I go UP to about 1,000 feet!!! and Z takes me back down!!!

Maybe you all knew this, but I don't recall reading it anywhere and it is like having your own recon helo to check out the battle terrain :!:

If you havn't played with this yet, I highly recommend it!

~mapman :D

If everyone already knows this feature, please forgive the redundancy :!:

Maybe you all knew this, but I don't recall reading it anywhere and it is like having your own recon helo to check out the battle terrain :!:

If you havn't played with this yet, I highly recommend it!

~mapman :D

:arrow: Mapman.. you da man. 3yrs and I never had a clue as to these features.

I zoomed up, over, down, forward, back.. and low and behold, just as you described..

Well done..

LS :lol:

As Close as you'll ever get to Flying in SB - Updated!!!

I discovered last night that if I press the Q key I go UP to about 1,000 feet!!! and Z takes me back down!!!

This feature works in AAR (After Action Review) as well. But it also has a special feature that I did not expect!

If you right click on a unit in the map, it asks you if you wish to "Tether to this unit".

Once you have tethered, you may float up or down or all around and it is as if you have a long rope hooked to the selected unit.

You may then continue the playback and float around behind the select unit as it moves in the AAR looking down as if from a ballon.

Except for the fact that you can not see units shooting or burning, this is WAY COOL!

~mapman :lol:

I just uploaded four files called AllTheMaps1, AllTheMaps2, AllTheMaps3 and AllTheMaps4. They contain all the custom height maps that I am aware of, about 25 of 'em. There will be links to these files in the AFK in the next couple days, along with listings of which maps are in which packages.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, not much point anymore. To the best of my knowledge, AllTheMaps1-5 will take you from v1.15 to where I'm at now, and it's been many months since I didn't have a required map. If I discover any gaps in my library I'll react with my customary speed. ;)

• 5 months later...
Guest SEAL-]BBE[

He guys maby you could help me. i have reaseefd the demo a cuopel of weeks ago and i want to own the game and play :D But the prob is i can't find it annywhere, not in the shops and not on the internet. :evil: :( Could some 1 help me please . Thanks anyway

I purchased mine on eBay for about 10 bucks. (like $6 for the game + shipping) New copy too...authentic with manual, etc. Make sure you aren't getting some knock off copy...support eSim! I had to lurk around a while, but they are out there. (There are 7 on ebay as of this posting: 3 stand-alone and 4 bundled w/ sudden strike, etc.)

Good luck and we'll see you back here soon!

Guest SEAL-]BBE[

Thanks guys the order is plased. I need some trainig and then i'll be back in the cav watch for the tag "103 verk.esk" the best there was and still is so see you on the battelfield "Let the LOEPARD roar"

• 5 months later...

It would be nice if you could include some people recounting what has happened to them during their games. In other words, people sharing their in-game experiences, explaining what happened, why and what they did in response.

THe truth is, at the moment the site is useful but abstract. While you can tell someone how to look at a map, for example, its far better to give a real world example of how map-reading can come in useful.

In other words, SHOW don't TELL.

Thanks,

Dan